Gransnet forums

News & politics

Considering voting Tory?

(391 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:05:33

If you want our NHS to be ended and replaced by a private health scheme then this is where your vote should go.

The NHS is for sale if the Tories win. You won't take it from me? Take it from former Tory Prime Minister John Major.

"The NHS would be as safe as a pet hamster in the presence of a hungry python if Boris Johnson, Michael Gove & Iain Duncan-Smith rose to power following Brexit."

MarthaBeck Sat 09-Nov-19 10:36:03

Frankly, I believe we should get away from tribal politics. The main two parties are creating a huge divide in our society.
I believe we need a period of more stable National Unity as in WW2.
Therefore, I shall on this occasion vote tactically to help bring that about. I strongly believe that neither Johnson or Corby are fit for high office. I would prefer a far better PM chosen by all the new MP’s.

trisher Sat 09-Nov-19 10:46:06

MarthaBeck there is already a huge divide in our society. A divide between those who can scarcely afford to live in spite of being in full time work and the rich who exploit their workers and dodge paying tax. It wasn't created by the 2 main parties,, simply by one party imposing for the past 10 years policies which have failed to help the poorest. The only solution is a Labour government and fence sitting won't help.

elsadmalone Tue 12-Nov-19 05:29:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaizieD Tue 12-Nov-19 07:42:09

Reported

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Nov-19 19:18:26

Moderate Tories must be so sad. This party is no longer recognisable.

Jonathan Lis
@jonlis1
Let’s be clear about this. Farage is an open racist who endorses fascist and neo-fascist candidates around the world. The fact he has now stood down for the Conservative Party tells us everything we need to know about them both.

varian Tue 12-Nov-19 19:30:59

I do not believe that any moderate "one nation" conservative Remain voters could with all conscience vote for the Boris Johnson Brexitories.

They should vote for the Liberal Democrats or for whatever Remain party is best placed to win in their constituency.

This is not like any previous election. What is at stake is the long term future of our country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Nov-19 08:14:37

So true, and straight from the horses mouth

Oxford Union
@OxfordUnion
@Arron_banks
on the influence of Nigel Farage: “What he’s done really is shape the Conservative Party in his own image. The Conservative Party is the Brexit Party”

jura2 Wed 13-Nov-19 08:53:30

twitter.com/i/status/1194376085812760576

Looks and sounds like Boycott, but with a brain- good man.

varian Wed 13-Nov-19 09:28:50

That's a first for the BBC. Their usual vox pop is a customer in Wetherspoons saying "we voted leave.- why haven't we left yet?"

GracesGranMK3 Wed 13-Nov-19 09:30:10

Poor man. He's articulate and knowledgeable and the journalists then says "that's a very strong view". I would hope the truth would be put over in a strong way.

MaizieD Wed 13-Nov-19 10:29:33

Looks and sounds like Boycott, but with a brain

Wrong county, jura! Weardale (Co Durham) born and bred. grin

And representative of the few Weardale farmers I know...

Urmstongran Wed 13-Nov-19 10:43:17

I posted this on the ‘Farage’ thread by mistake. I meant it for here!

Apparently the bookies are now saying Boris will win the general election. This is the unexpected reason why William Hill has changed how it sets its prices to reflect the fact that small punters were notably better at predicting the outcome when it came to the Brexit referendum

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:45:27

My shopping man has just been and we were talking about vet bills.

Then he said “imagine if we had to pay for out health insurance”

I said “There is some things that I couldn’t get insurance for, and anyway it would be enormous”

He said “ that’s why I’m not voting Tory”

“Good man” I said

I wished him a good day
????

GracesGranMK3 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:12:31

I suppose with all the campaigns being run against Corbynism (whatever that may be) it's not surprising the betting has changed but, as they say, a week is a long time in politics. It only needs Johnson to open his mouth a few times, people to understand they will probably be paying for medical insurance under the Tories and there will eventually be no help with care for the elderly they may change their mind. Looking at the heckling Johnson got this morning it may need less than a couple of weeks for him to be shown up for what he is.

My 11-year-old GD recently started a short speech on leadership (at school) with the quote "Great Leaders don’t set out to be a leader… they set out to make a difference…. it’s never about the role-always about the goal.,”. Johnson is not the Emperor with no clothes; he is the leader with no goals except the be PM.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Nov-19 11:28:14

A lot of privatisation has already happened. The NHS no longer funds cosmetic procedures, vasectomy reversals etc if people want them they have to pay for those procedures. It creeps up before you realise then you recall it didn’t used to be that way.

I was working with a general practitioner and remember a 20p charge in 1972 being levied for prescriptions. Look how that ended up.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:55:04

There is a great difference in the purchase of private services, although that needs careful thought and the privatisation of the medical service with a second-tier health service.

The first question is if someone wasn't making a profit from that service where would the money go. If they are providing either a poorer service or lower wages it is not good value for money. If they are able to cut costs because of their buying power, it may be.

It has certainly crept up and it needs to be properly monitored. Just because it is there does not mean it is the best way to do it. I have seen enough about the almost completely privatised care industry to ask many questions.

Again with prescriptions - it needs an overhaul. It is huge but it still needs doing.

The end of all this is an Australian style insurance system. The Tories have talked about and admired it. Just as they have talked about and admired the points system for emigration. They are lazy. This is complex. We are not Australia.

varian Wed 13-Nov-19 18:34:29

Dominic Cummings said Tory MPs do not care about poor people or NHS

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/30/dominic-cummings-tories-do-not-care-about-poor-people-or-the-nhs

Grany Wed 13-Nov-19 19:26:04

2h
Boris Johnson's General Election Campaign so far:

• Booed out of a Cambridge hospital
• Locked kids in a room at a school in Sutton & Ashfield
• Run out of flood hit South Yorkshire

Under scrutiny, or real people, the truth emerges.

Grany Wed 13-Nov-19 19:43:05

@Rachael_Swindon

1h
"If the NHS is on its knees it just makes the idea of selling it off even easier". This was brilliant from
@JonathanPieNews
last year, and if you look at his pinned tweet, you might be able to see him live

twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1194683020235747329?s=20

Grany Wed 13-Nov-19 19:59:47

15m
I'd forgotten about this.

If anybody doesn't understand how BJ and his mates keep getting more money, this documentary ? explains everything.

Tory @sajidjavid used to work with 'CDOs' in the City of London.

If you don't know what those are - and how they contributed to the financial crash - just watch this excellent explanation.

No wonder he won't debate @johnmcdonnellMP

twitter.com/Donwyn6/status/1194701384211476481?s=20

varian Thu 14-Nov-19 17:50:16

Tory MPs fear Boris Johnson ready to sacrifice southern seats.

Conservative MPs who are retiring at the general election fear Boris Johnson is prepared to sacrifice Conservative seats in southern England with a party manifesto aimed at winning over Labour voters in the Midlands and the north.

Keith Simpson, who is stepping down as Conservative MP for Broadland in Norfolk, said it was “almost impossible” to frame a manifesto that would win over Leave-voting Labour constituencies in the north while fending off a challenge by the anti-Brexit Liberal Democrat party in the south.

Another retiring Tory MP said that colleagues in southern seats who were fighting the December 12 election feared they would be “collateral damage” in Mr Johnson’s strategy to secure a parliamentary majority by seizing seats in the north with a pro-Brexit, big-spending manifesto.

The MP added that during a meeting with Mr Johnson it became clear the prime minister had “written off a lot of the seats where you risk upsetting metropolitan sensitivities”.

But Mr Johnson’s team said the manifesto, expected to be published in the last week of November, would not just be aimed at wooing Labour constituencies in the north, but also defending wealthier Tory seats with small majorities in the south.

“The strategy is very different to last time,” said one ally of Mr Johnson. “At the 2017 election we didn’t have a defensive strategy.”

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at www.ft.com/tour.
www.ft.com/content/abcd207e-055b-11ea-a984-fbbacad9e7dd

At that election Theresa May also made a big push to win Labour seats in the north, only to see the Tory vote collapse in Remain-voting areas in the south. She won Mansfield from Labour but ended up losing Canterbury to the main opposition party.

The team writing the Conservative manifesto, led by Munira Mirza from the Downing Street policy unit, has a simple mantra: “Don’t repeat the mistakes of 2017.”

www.ft.com/content/abcd207e-055b-11ea-a984-fbbacad9e7dd

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Nov-19 07:43:59

So many one nation traditional Tories think like this, and have the courage to act on it!

Tom Mills

Working on an open letter to the Telegraph explaining why I cannot in good conscience vote Conservative next month. If you'd like to add your name get in touch.

trisher Fri 15-Nov-19 11:20:57

I would imagine Boris Johnson is prepared to sacrifice anyone and anything just to stay as PM.

lemongrove Fri 15-Nov-19 13:22:49

Tom Mills...hmmmm, any chance he is a Remainer then?

trisher yes, that’s politicians for you, and I expect Corbyn is prepared to sacrifice anyone or anything to become PM.

trisher Fri 15-Nov-19 15:40:04

lemongrove fortunately Corbyn has a long record of acting in the interests of his constituents with no thought of political advancement, something Boris really can't claim.