Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you feel politically homeless?

(135 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 06-Nov-19 13:49:13

The news that Dr. Bendor Grosvenor, the art historian, has withdrawn his support from the Conservative party has got me thinking.

I wonder about how people are affected when they have become disenchanted with parties they have supported assiduously in the past.

My parents-in-law were lifelong supporters of the LibDems (previously Liberals), but they tore up their membership cards when they joined forces with the Conservatives. I also have a dear friend who has been a very active lifelong Conservative party member and even an Agent for many years. I know he has struggled with recent events and I don't yet know whether he has jumped ship, as I suspected he might do, but there must be a huge personal cost to someone in giving up on a political party they have been so invested in.

How do you choose who to vote for when the party you've believed in no longer seems like the party you joined? Do you feel you've been betrayed? How do you find a new political home?

barbr555 Wed 20-Nov-19 12:36:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SaulScott Wed 21-Apr-21 19:16:51

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MaizieD Wed 21-Apr-21 20:25:43

barbr555 reported. (the one below already removed)

Kali2 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:45:36

Looking at other threads on the LP divisions- reminded me of this thread. And the answer is,

yes, more than ever- and I can't see any way forwards with this dreaded FPTP system. Really depressing.

Doodledog Sun 01-Aug-21 17:05:50

I wondered why people were going on about Corbyn, and then realised that this thread was started in 2019.

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 17:09:42

Another zombie

Kali2 Sun 01-Aug-21 17:16:45

Meaning? Blossoming?

Yes, Doodledog, I had to scroll back a few pages to find this thread. I did, instead of starting a new one, because as said in the post above, it is even more true now than ever.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Aug-21 17:18:22

Doodlebug I did the same. nearly tore into someone for calling (Starmer) anti Semitic them realised it was before his time
???

allium Sun 01-Aug-21 17:30:06

Difficult to know who to vote for, very much politically homeless, seems to have got far worse since covid.

Kali2 Sun 01-Aug-21 17:36:52

'Glad' that you can see what I mean, and why I revived this thread. Indeed.

grannysyb Sun 01-Aug-21 18:12:58

I used to vote Libdem, went off them after Jo Swinson kept calling me a "cis woman". Won't vote Tory, and Labour also seem to have forgotten women.

Dinahmo Sun 01-Aug-21 18:21:51

Jo Swinson did a lot of damage to the LibDems imo. Maybe she was just too young to handle the power?

Kim19 Sun 01-Aug-21 18:26:05

Yes, I've become a floating voter. So much easier when I was a one party diehard. I will still vote but I anticipate huge difficulty in doing so. Cannot bring myself to spoil my paper but it is the closest I ever remember being to considering it. Another 4 ish years to go and they can create such havoc in such a spell of time. Dear me.......

Parsley3 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:05:32

I now have electile disfunction as for the seventh year running Scotland has the highest drug deaths in Europe. A national disgrace and I won’t be voting for SNP until a workable solution is in place. However, I can’t vote for the Conservatives as I have nothing in common with their ideology, Labour would be my choice but they are in no man’s land just now and the Lib Dems mean nothing to me. It will have to be Screaming Lord Such at the next General election. I can’t not vote as I have given my children stick in the past for not voting. Help!

JaneJudge Sun 01-Aug-21 19:06:23

yes i do and i suppose it is why I am making a joke of things and upsetting everyone sad

Kali2 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:02:11

It's hard isn't it? At least no-one has told you you have no right to an opinion.

nanna8 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:15:25

Seems to be a world wide phenomenon. I have been a swinging voter for many years. Only problem now is I don’t know which way to swing. Nothing appeals. We have to vote here, it is compulsory but I would anyway thinking of the hard won vote for women in days past. To not vote is throwing back their sacrifices.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Aug-21 10:40:43

This is an interesting thread.
Thanks for reviving it Kali2

Lincslass Mon 02-Aug-21 10:41:26

I vote for the one who has done most for the local people, and the work they have done for said community. Not for a political party. Not sure wether I will vote next time.

Alegrias1 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:44:48

Parsley3

I now have electile disfunction as for the seventh year running Scotland has the highest drug deaths in Europe. A national disgrace and I won’t be voting for SNP until a workable solution is in place. However, I can’t vote for the Conservatives as I have nothing in common with their ideology, Labour would be my choice but they are in no man’s land just now and the Lib Dems mean nothing to me. It will have to be Screaming Lord Such at the next General election. I can’t not vote as I have given my children stick in the past for not voting. Help!

Green?

the Lib Dems mean nothing to me

Is it bad that I now have the song "Vienna" running through my head.....?

GraceQuirrel Mon 02-Aug-21 11:15:32

I haven’t voted for the last few years. If I don’t want any of them to get in, how can I give one my vote?
They are all awful.

greenlady102 Mon 02-Aug-21 11:21:09

I have never ever felt politically homeless because I have never ever supported one party assiduously and i can't see why anyone does. Every time I vote, locally as well as nationally, I do my due diligence and vote for the party I think best suits my needs at the time.

JennyCee Mon 02-Aug-21 11:21:19

Grandmamoira
Moderate Blairite?? The same one who took us into a war still going on and then declared himself Middle East Peace Envoy?
The one who gave GPS licence to not have to out on evening
Visits to help the sick?
perhaps you could change. Your mind?

grannygranby Mon 02-Aug-21 11:23:31

the corporate conformity of so called 'diversity champions' has taken over all the parties. Tens of thousands of pounds are given to Stonewall for points. Core belief in this is that gender self ID cannot be debated and is being rushed into definitions of females (cervix havers, pregnant people) and even the law. This is not fair to the most vulnerable women, nor is it fair in sport. But no debate. This has been taken on without question by the LibDems, the Greens and Labour. I have always voted Labour. I wrote to my MP of my concern he replied on Twitter that people who are gender stereotype critical are bigots! For the first time in my voting life I didn't vote in the last local elections. It is just gobbledygook and bullying. It is led by ignorance and fear.
You'd think that the 'no debate' would remind people of Orwell's 1984 and the Ministry of Truth...but no. People have seen what happens to those who have spoken up and everyone is keeping their heads down. shameful. It has got to the point that protesting that as an adult female you are a woman is 'hate speech'. I cant vote for that. And I've never voted for right-wing politics so I am politically homeless. Which is staggering.

Kestrel Mon 02-Aug-21 11:40:40

I vote Green these days just so I can vote for someone/something with some useful longterm ideas (this prob splits all sorts of votes and causes more chaos?) Always used to vote Labour but cannot bring myself to now. Sad state of affairs.