Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tom Watson

(116 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 21:08:38

The far left have finally succeeded in getting rid of Tom Watson .

lemongrove Wed 06-Nov-19 21:30:01

Really?

paintingthetownred Wed 06-Nov-19 21:31:15

Who is Tom Watson?

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 21:35:29

Really, he has said he is standing down to do other things

Did he jump ? No. Was he pushed ? Yes.

eGJ Wed 06-Nov-19 21:35:36

Labour’s Deputy Leader

Iam64 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:42:30

Anniebach, I suspect you're right and he was pushed. I've just watched him explaining his reason for resigning, linking it to his desire to work in supporting health issues, especially relating to sugar. He looked very emotional for a man making a positive decision.

I'm relieved to see that Chris Williamson is not to be allowed to stand. I hope the dreadful Vaz is not allowed to stand either, that is currently under discussion.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:47:09

I don't know Iam, although I think it must have been uncomfortable he seems to have some areas in life - including his own health - which he has wanted to spread the word on.

Reading his and Corbyn's letters it is a great example of how to resign and how to accept a resignation.

Iam64 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:53:19

I haven't seen the letters GGMK3, will look out for them.

I just watched Corbyn interviewed on Skye News, he came over well I thought. Actually laughed with the reporter when she asked he he really thought he could serve 5 years and be PM at 75 ? He laughed and asked what ever was wrong with being 75, said he's fit and healthy, with a genuine smile. Not something we often see. Let's have more of it. I see Jess Phillips, Esq., MP is quoting the tories saying the country needs more effective government. Yes, says Jess - after 9 years of you, you're not wrong lads.

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 22:00:48

Those letters mean nothing, just not making waves during an election campaign. Watson would never cause upset during a campaign.

Seems Vaz has support from his local party members

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Nov-19 22:05:43

I can’t believe Vaz has local support! I really thought he’d go this time.

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 22:11:35

It has been reported by the BBC and SKY. He hasn’t been deselected has he ?

suziewoozie Wed 06-Nov-19 22:12:41

I think the Vaz case is tricky. The three that were announced today were currently suspended from the party so under the rules could not stand. KV’s case is different - if his local party hadn’t reselected him, that would have solved the problem but sadly they have. Utterly unbelievable. Could the party suspend him at this stage I wonder?

GracesGranMK3 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:38:47

Both letters (I hope).

mobile.twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1192169894479122433?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1192170148809125889?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 22:43:46

Don’t believe those letters are truthful,

suziewoozie Wed 06-Nov-19 22:50:40

I would never expect these sort of letters to be truthful - they should just be civilised. That’ll do.

Ginny42 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:52:05

I don't think he's been deselected as Corbyn said they would be working together again.

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 22:52:45

Yes and they were most civilised

suziewoozie Wed 06-Nov-19 22:54:09

There are a lot of mixed feelings about TW and his role in the VIP abuse investigation. There were calls for his resignation from some of the families over that.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:55:54

Oh. I copied them from their Twitter accounts and the are being quoted on the news programmes. I didn't realise he had recently split from his wife. With the long trips north to see his children and the recent changes in his life I think it's perfectly reasonable to think it's personal reason that have made him decide to leave.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:56:54

That was to Annie about them being untruthful

Tooting29 Thu 07-Nov-19 06:24:40

Reading between the lines he represents a 66% leave constituency so I wonder if that had some bearing given his remain stance. Shame because he was a moderate. I expect the challenge from the momentum part of LP might also have played a part too.

Nortsat46 Thu 07-Nov-19 06:54:10

I am very sad to learn this. I value the contribution Tom Watson made to the party and to the ‘broad church’, which I believe the LP should be.

I met him once and found him to be a thoroughly nice man.

MawB Thu 07-Nov-19 07:01:41

Tom Watson - Nice man?
Have you read his comments on Leon Brittain? His totally wrong- headedness regarding Carl Beech and his use of his very public profile to promote that fantasist’s slanders and lies?
Watson made an extremely serious error of judgement and I think it has come back to haunt him.

MawB Thu 07-Nov-19 07:05:49

With apologies for a bit of a cut n paste, this writer in today’s paper puts it better than I can

When Tom Watson stood up in the House of Commons and declared the existence of a historical paedophile ring at the heart of Westminster, there was only one problem: he had got it completely wrong.

But Mr Watson’s fateful intervention in 2012 would set in chain an extraordinary series of events. It led to Theresa May establishing a public inquiry into historic child sexual abuse – that is still running and will cost the taxpayer upwards of £200 million – and prompt the police, under Mr Watson’s watchful glare, to falsely accuse a string of VIPs of participating in torture, sadistic abuse and murder.
Mr Watson would wrongly brand Leon Brittan, the former home secretary, just days after his death, of being as “close to evil as any human being could be”. But he was quoting, as it transpired, Carl Beech, a fantasist and paedophile, who was jailed this summer for perverting the course of justice, fraud and sexual offences.
The association with Beech – Mr Watson met him face to face just once but they exchanged email and phone messages – would lead to a series of dignitaries demanding his resignation as Labour’s deputy leader.

Riverwalk Thu 07-Nov-19 07:10:35

Indeed Maw.

He lost all credibility with that campaign - probably couldn't face Harvey Proctor who was intending to stand against him in the election.