Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit dividing my family.

(432 Posts)
iluvsylvanianfamilies51 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:10:03

I voted leave in 2016 and had no idea it would come to this. I really think this country has never felt more divided. Walking on eggshells when discussing things with friends, family, neighbours. Not wanting to offend but not wanting to back down. It is horrible.

What makes me sad is that it feels like families are splintered and there's so much resentment. Grandkids all voted remain and kids voted remain and leave. All have arguments about it all the time and I feel them getting more closed off to each other.I t is unbearably sad. We shouldnt be divided like this.

I'm sure others feel the same but the reason I post is because my granddaughter sent me this video and I think it articulates it really well. You may not like Labour or momentum but I think we will agree that this tension between leave/remain leaves us weaker. And when I voted in 2016 I didn't think it would be so drawn out. I feel embarrassed about that

twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202573131606573056

I have been on the fence about who to vote for but I despise Johnson for his comments on single mothers (AND his racism!) and I think Labour are the best chance we have to get a better leave deal and bring our country back together again. In 2015 I never expected political division to make living rooms tense and communities divided. I wish we could have it back and this stalemate to be over.

Labaik Tue 10-Dec-19 19:09:13

I get abuse hurled at me if I wear anti Brexit t shirts etc so I can sympathise with how some people feel. Never worried about wearing anything political before.

varian Tue 10-Dec-19 19:25:39

Well done you Labaik for wearing these T shirts, standing up for what you (and the majority of us in the UK) believe - stopping brexit.

Who exactly are these cowardly hooligans trying to intimidate you?

Brainwashed readers of the rightwing press?

Greeneyedgirl Tue 10-Dec-19 20:01:19

I have always displayed political posters before an election and have done so this time but feel very uneasy because this election has not felt like previous ones because of the level of hatred and aggression which people feel entitled to display. This may have been felt by some but was not as overt prior to Brexit.

I agree we used to be a tolerant nation, but no longer. Even after the election I fear things will not improve because now it's out of the bottle.......I feel very depressed.

stevenk Wed 11-Dec-19 05:09:49

What the french think about Brexit!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLe9qhpBF8

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 05:27:33

My DiL ( EU citizen, been here since aged 4, medic in NHS ) yesterday received an election flyer, posted to her name and address, from the Brexit party. She can’t vote in the GE. We joked that it must have been the toilet paper she ordered.

EthelJ Wed 11-Dec-19 13:02:56

crystaltipps same with my EU national son in law. My thought was not only do they have dangerous views they are also so disorganised they can't even be bothered to check the electoral register to see who is eligible to vote.