News & politics

The future if Boris gets in

(243 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Mon 09-Dec-19 08:09:32

Take back control??? ???

CoolioC Sun 15-Dec-19 08:36:56

growstuff
This is the latest I can find dated March 2019*
It appears a fund has been created, whether it will continue once Brexit takes place who knows, its wait and see.

Stronger Towns Fund: £1.6bn post-Brexit cash announced
4 March 2019
comments Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share
Related TopicsBrexit
Children playing on swings in a playgroundImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES
A £1.6bn government fund has been launched to boost less well-off towns in England after Brexit.
The pot is split into £1bn, divided in England using a needs-based formula, and £600m communities can bid for.
More than half of the money, to be spread over seven years, will go to the north of England and the Midlands.
Labour called it a bribe to influence MPs to back the PM's Brexit deal and critics say it does not cover cuts to local authority funding.
The Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government said there will be additional announcements "in due course" for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
No Welsh cash in £1.6bn post-Brexit fund
Council spending cuts, in seven charts
'Worst yet to come' in council cuts
Brexit: All you need to know
In January, MPs rejected the withdrawal deal Theresa May has reached with the EU by 230 votes - the biggest defeat for a sitting government in history.
To win another vote, which Mrs May has promised will be on or before 12 March, she could find herself relying on the votes of Labour MPs from Leave-voting parts of the country.
John Mann, MP for Bassetlaw, a former coal mining area in Nottinghamshire, told the PM last month to "show us the money" with "transformative investment" in areas that voted to leave.
The Labour MP, who backed Mrs May's Brexit deal at the first vote, denied it amounted to "transactional politics".

Media captionLisa Nandy: “Obviously, I wouldn’t turn down any money… but my vote is not for sale”
But John McDonnell, Labour's shadow chancellor, said the fund "smacks of desperation from a government reduced to bribing MPs to vote for their damaging flagship Brexit legislation".
The BBC's assistant political editor Norman Smith said the money will be targeted on coastal communities, market towns, and de-industrialised towns, which meets the demands of some Labour MPs, who say regeneration funding tends to go to big cities.
The funding will go to specific projects like a new university campus or railway station, our correspondent added.
Dismissing the claim that the funding aimed to entice Labour MPs, Housing and Communities Secretary James Brokenshire insisted the cash would be made available even if the withdrawal agreement was rejected and denied the funding was a bribe.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "This funding is there regardless of the outcome, but obviously we want to see a deal happening, we believe that is what is in the best interests of our country."
Chart
He said the money would "supplement the work of councils" and could be "transformative" and was there "to see that towns grow".
However, Labour MP Alex Sobel, of the cross-party People's Vote campaign, which wants a new referendum on Brexit, said it was "a drop in the ocean" compared with the cost of leaving the EU.
He said the annual loss to local economies would be more than enough to wipe out any potential return from this scheme.
Prime Minister Theresa May and her husband Philip leave churchImage copyrightREUTERS
Image caption
Theresa May, pictured with her husband Philip, has promised MPs another vote on her deal by 12 March
Labour's Ruth Smeeth, the MP for Leave-supporting Stoke-on-Trent, described the amount of money as "extraordinarily pathetic".
Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Westminster Hour programme, she said: "If you're talking about national renewal, this is less money than is being taken out of my economy by the introduction of [new welfare system] universal credit over the next four years."
Chart
Labour and Stoke-on-Trent Central MP Gareth Snell said the announcement was a "huge disappointment", tweeting: "The entire allocation for the West Midlands over four years is less than the total value of cuts faced by Stoke-on-Trent City Council alone over the same period."
Anna Turley, Labour MP for Redcar, has described the funding as "a shameless little bung."
She told BBC Radio 5 Live that £90m had been lost from her local council over nine years of austerity and the money was "bobbins" and was "shameless and embarrassing".
And Labour's Rhondda MP Chris Bryant tweeted: "And not a penny for Wales. The trouble with bribes is they embody injustice."
Welsh councils facing real-terms cuts
Austerity blamed for children in care rise
A really simple guide to all things Brexit
But the prime minister insisted: "Communities across the country voted for Brexit as an expression of their desire to see change - that must be a change for the better, with more opportunity and greater control.
"These towns have a glorious heritage, huge potential and, with the right help, a bright future ahead of them."
She said prosperity had been "unfairly spread" for "too long"

Chestnut Sun 15-Dec-19 08:49:34

I thought this was a forum where we exchanged views.

CoolioC Sun 15-Dec-19 08:52:03

And never the Twain shall meet Chestnut.

Grany Sun 15-Dec-19 09:16:49

I’m sorry Mr Johnson but we at
@BylineTimes
are not going anywhere- we are going to dedicate ourselves to revealing the truth about you & refuting everyone of your lies- so enjoy your victory while you can! We are growing every day! Please support us

twitter.com/BylineTimes/status/1205420804038692864?s=20

CoolioC Sun 15-Dec-19 09:31:42

I despair of social media. The chattering classes form of revolution from their beds as the song goes.

Grany Sun 15-Dec-19 09:41:03

There desperately needs to be a challenge to the lies smears and propaganda from the right wing press and any new news paper or online news willing to do this and proper journalism, very sadly lacking for a long while now, I massively wholeheartedly support.

inkcog Sun 15-Dec-19 09:43:16

Oh Grany, a lone voice in the wilderness. Nobody cares, the lies , the casual racism, the old boy network, Rule Britannia, it's over. They did it.

Chestnut Sun 15-Dec-19 09:51:54

Gloom and doom abounds. The people have spoken and most of us are feeling positive.

inkcog Sun 15-Dec-19 10:04:15

Really? Why is there this persistent belief in this strange binary approach. One must either embrace a proven liar PM and right wing policies or be a doom and gloom merchant?

I am all right Jack. Really I am. It's others lower down who concern me.

JenniferEccles Sun 15-Dec-19 11:25:08

There are many desperate posts on here from those who seem unable to accept the result.

Meanwhile traditional Labour strongholds up and down the country rejected Corbyn for every reason discussed many times and voted Tory .

Tell me , what do they know that you don’t?

Daisymae Sun 15-Dec-19 11:41:37

Accepting the result is one thing. Being happy with it is another. People have a right to their own beliefs and values.

jo1book Sun 15-Dec-19 13:11:11

Grany
No one cares; get real

inkcog Sun 15-Dec-19 13:13:21

I have accepted the result, I feel shattered as do my 2 AC. We get on with our lives and do our best.

The sight of Cameron and BJ partying makes me feel ill.

Anyhow, it's the past, it's done. I am no fan of Corbyn. I think going back further David Milliband would have been up to the job.

mcem Sun 15-Dec-19 13:51:25

Grany - not a lone voice and many do care.Thank you for the Twitter link.
Now following Byline Times.

Grany Sun 15-Dec-19 14:28:16

You are welcome mcem I am sure too that people would like to read truth written instead of the propaganda lies being fed to them

notanan2 Sun 15-Dec-19 14:35:18

Yay more momentum style "Tory voters are stupid and kick kittens"

When will people get that that momentum mentality is WHY people voted against labour!

notanan2 Sun 15-Dec-19 14:37:17

People voted against the witch hunt style "if youre not with us waving our flags you are our enemy" Mementum mob because they know their history and that sort of mob mentality must be nipped in the bud