The future if Boris gets in

(243 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Mon 09-Dec-19 08:09:32

Take back control??? ???

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:42:15

Me for one, and millions besides.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
@HughFW

Anyone else been spending time this weekend desperately hoping for breaking news, or some gaffe, tweet or meme that unambiguously reveals to all just what a disaster it would be to hand Boris Johnson a majority on Thursday?

ayse Mon 09-Dec-19 10:43:23

New nanny, where is your evidence that Corbyn is going to ‘fix’ another referendum? Do you mean like the Tory party and press in the previous one or is that just another smear? Corbyn has always been against the EU capitalist club but the Labour Party voted differently so he chooses to support the majority decision.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 10:44:39

Our country is never going to heal, newnanny so long as the ERG tories are in power. Johnson is hated by a very significant portion of the population. Have you ever before known a PM to be demonstrated against wherever they go? To cancel appearances for fear of demonstrators, to scurry in and out of back entrances? These people will never be reconciled to a Johnson government, and probably not to Brexit either.

trisher Mon 09-Dec-19 10:46:18

newnanny you won't be voting for Boris then. He did cut police numbers and budgets as M of London and knife crime in London has risen as a result of that. The Tories were also responsible for making the prison service and the probation service unfit for purpose which is why they have lost track of so many ex-offenders,

newnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 10:47:30

I agree with Patel policy of making criminals serve full sentence. It is pointless a judge deciding a person is so violent they need to be away from public for 20 years only to be let out after 8 as we saw a couple of weeks ago. Two more of our young people needlessly murdered by a radicalised terrorist. DA is against stop and search and wants to let criminals out early and many law breakers not even be punished. She is weak on crime and we would be overrun with even more criminals with knives if she was in charge of security. Plus JC and DA would decimate our armed forces and nuclear deterrent.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 10:48:45

GrannyGravy13 - I agree that what we see on these boards will likely not be reflected in the results on Thursday. There are some really aggressive posters who may be Momentum, who knows? According to them BJ is the world's worst villain and the Tories are evil. Hey ho. I wonder how they'll cope on Friday.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:49:36

I will never be reconciled either to a far right government or Brexit.

I will never never accept it.

I have absolutely no doubt that I will be proven right.

newnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 10:52:23

trisher knife crime went down under Boris in London and has spiked higher again under Sadiq Khan. He is bringing back the 20,000 police cut under austerity when Labour government left no money for funding. Remember that note?

henetha Mon 09-Dec-19 10:56:52

You all may be right in many ways, but I can't help feeling that this country will not flourish under Jeremy Corbyn either.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 10:59:15

I don’t like Sadiq Khan (Labour). I had high hopes in him but have been embarrassed and disappointed in him. I hope the next Mayor of London is the Tory black guy (sorry I can’t remember his name). He seems a very decent chap.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 10:59:33

Wwmk2

Someone else tweeted a few days ago along the lines of

"Johnson could eat live babies in the middle of Whitehall while conducting an orgy with 200 donkeys and people would still vote for him"

No gaffe or revelation is too shocking for his fans to stomach. He has committed every single offence against decency, truth, morality and honour that has had government ministers forced out of office in the past, even to colluding with foreign governments (why won't he release the report on Russian interference in the referendum?) , and they are still prepared to back this insult to our democracy.

Sorry, GG13 and all Johnson fans, lift your head above the parapet and you will be shot at by everyone disgusted by worthless human being.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 11:00:24

by 'this' worthless human being.

(too cross to proof read...)

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 11:02:58

There are some really aggressive posters who may be Momentum, who knows?

Oh, FFS, Chestnut, I'm not even a member of the Labour party. I just recognise evil when I see it. You don't have to be Momentum to do that.

Shelmiss Mon 09-Dec-19 11:03:47

“lift your head above the parapet and you will be shot at....”

Nice.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 11:03:47

”Johnson could eat live babies in the middle of Whitehall while conducting an orgy with 200 donkeys and people would still vote for him"

Hyperbolic nonsense.

It just smacks of desperation!

Remainers are getting very het up.

dayvidg Mon 09-Dec-19 11:04:25

Interesting that a number of the policies in the Labour manifesto are incompatible with E.U. law.
brexitcentral.com/the-gaping-contradictions-between-labours-promises-and-its-refusal-to-get-britain-out-of-the-eu/?fbclid=IwAR1KvHwADv2o50p3JeYTdr5TorInUHMlzDdV3ly26FzSFZIRbSBM5QYOlfU

FlexibleFriend Mon 09-Dec-19 11:04:31

Urmstongran I'll be voting for Shaun Bailey too he seems like a decent bloke.

trisher Mon 09-Dec-19 11:10:25

newnany Boris was left with a good police force by Ken Livingston so of course knife crime went down. His legacy was of course a huge cut. Here's the graph I suppose putting something back you were responsible for geting rid of will satisfy some people. It's amazing how susceptible some people are.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 11:11:38

MaizieD - I never said you were Momentum....there are a lot of other posters on here. You seem to have taken that remark personally.
Quoting the vile and repulsive comments people make on Twitter does indicate how low you're prepared to go however.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 11:14:09

Remainers are getting very het up

I haven't changed in 3 years, Ug. I've always been het up about the idiocy of Brexit. I got there years ago..

Shreddie Mon 09-Dec-19 11:17:22

omg how can anyone vote for Boris Johnson and the tories? You must all be super rich people with private health insurance. It beggars belief.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 11:22:24

f you are prepared to vote for Johnson, Chestnut, you are in no position to be judgemental about anything I say.

I never said you were Momentum...

Don't be coy about suspected Momentum members, then, Name names...

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 11:22:45

You are obviously a Remainer then Shreddie as to us Leave voters it’s a no-brainer.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 11:24:42

For all the Boris/Tory haters here's a bit of positive for you.
Ten years ago British schools were ranked 25th in the international league tables (out of 79 countries).
Now we have climbed up to 14th place.
In 2010 Michael Gove became Education Secretary and we started to embrace more traditional teaching methods.
It would obviously take time for these methods to show results, but now we can see the results.
I think that's something to be celebrated, though Tory haters probably won't see anything good in it.

MerylStreep Mon 09-Dec-19 11:27:03

Shaun is exactly the right person to lead London. He's been on the wrong side of the law himself, been a youth worker.
IMO he's the only one in the frame who has some insight into the gang culture.
Plus: he's lovely to look at. I know, shallow.?