Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election result - disaster for working class people

(62 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:39:22

Well I hope all you people who voted for someone who consistently lies (even lied to the Queen) didn't have the strength of character to appear on hardly any of the TV debates and has the morals of an alley cat, are well and truly satisfied now! God help us all.

Pantglas2 Fri 13-Dec-19 20:00:09

Me too Chewbacca - I’d have had around £27000 from Labour but fîrstly I didn’t trust them to deliver and secondly, at what cost?

Jellaway Fri 13-Dec-19 20:00:27

QuaintIrene said she is from a Northern family. So she was not being patronising. Why the protest when it was a landslide ? Do we really believe that Jeremy would have given us WASPI women an astronomic amount of compensation. No, he would have realised it was unrealistic. It was right to make our retirement date the same as men. It was just a shame that at 40 something I wasn’t ever planning for my retirement so big blame is on me too. I only considered it about two years ago at 57.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:02:34

Landslide? What % of votes did they get???

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:03:07

Most folk who turned out to vote voted against the Conservative party.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:04:12

Most folk who turned out to vote voted against the Conservative party

Eh? confused

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:06:31

56.4% of voters voted against the Conservative party.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:07:02

Conservative – 43.6%
Labour – 32.2%
Liberal Democrats – 11.5%
Scottish National Party – 3.9%

Not much margin for doubt there.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:09:40

Most voters were opposed to the Conservatives.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:09:40

But that 56.4% couldn't agree amongst themselves where to put their votes in order to keep the Conservatives out! Had they all colluded to put the X in the same place on the ballot paper, the result would have been different. But they didn't. And it's not.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:11:10

Which is why we get what one eminent Conservative politician once termed "elective dictatorship" and why we need to reform our voting system to proportional representation.

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 20:12:46

EXACTLY Varian! Who said that? Totally the conclusion I came to this morning. We have no democracy anymore.

Who said it?

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:14:18

Lord Hailsham, formerly Quentin Hogg.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:16:08

Ok varian, maybe that's something you can lobby your MP about but can I ask you; had Labour won this election with such a clear victory as the Conservatives did yesterday, would you be lobbying for proportional representation then? Or would you have just been happy that Labour had won? hmm

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:19:04

There is no point in lobbying my utterly useless ERG Tory MP. He has had his majority cut by a good LibDem candidate but he can sit there doing damn all for another five years as long as he votes like a sack of potatoes wearing a blue rosette.

rbnpow Fri 13-Dec-19 20:23:45

I can't understand it...so worrying. Generations will lay for being duped.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:26:08

And would you still be wanting proportional representation if Labour had won yesterday varian? Or would you have happily accepted the result as it was?

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 20:35:52

rbnpow, exactly how I felt this morning. But as I was sitting, brain heaving, in the car on the way to work this morning, a light bulb went on. Opiate of the masses. Teach them a system focused on and working for THEM is bad and you have total control. Exactly what has happened. Tory totalitarianism. They can do ANYTHING and the people will still vote for them.

We might as well do away with voting. Just leave them in. It amounts to the same thing.

Having NO SAY at all is actually quite freeing. It stops you from having to think and debate, what is right and what is wrong, with yourself all the time. Just vegetate.

I've been very calm since my light bulb moment. The UK is no longer a democracy. Don't expect it and you won't be disappointed.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:59:26

I have always campaigned for PR and I do not support the Labour Party.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 21:09:35

Well, in that case*varian*, if you were supporting neither the Conservatives nor the Labour party, proportional representation wouldn't have made any difference to the result for you would it? Lib Dems got 11.6%; SNP got 3.9% and the others less than 1% each. So whichever way the election had gone, it's highly unlikely your party would have got elected.

humptydumpty Fri 13-Dec-19 21:41:52

Chewbacca surely your %s refer to the percentage of seats, not the % of total votes cast? Also with PR the losing candidate's votes have their 2nd choice given their votes, it's nothing to do with your %s.

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 21:53:36

The Lib Dems did appallingly varian and Brexit is now a certainty.
That’s entirely down to the useless LP and the Lib Dem's intransigence over the referendum.Serves them right!

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 21:54:41

You're very possibly correct humpty, I wouldn't argue with you. But I'd still like to know whether; if the result had been that Labour or SNP or Lib Dems had won, would there still be this annoyance to put it mildly that the election had been won on the FPTP system? Or is it only an "unfair" system when the other side wins?

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 21:57:22

Some posters are now losing themselves in ever decreasing circles arguing about percentages regarding the GE.
So amusing...they did the same regards the referendum.....much good that it did them.It seems to be a defence mechanism on GN.Weird.

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 21:59:17

You've got it in one Chewbacca ???

M0nica Fri 13-Dec-19 22:12:28

Corbyn and his supporters lost because they thought they were so morally superior and knew so much more than us little people about what we really wanted and what was good for us that there was absolutely no need to consult the people who usually voted Labour or consider those who might consider it.

In fact nothing demonstrated this dictatorial thread that has run through the party in recent years more than their incapacity to realise that democracy means talking to people, finding out what they are looking for in government and then demonstrating to them how the needs they express can be met by their party. This incapacity combined with their capacity to convince themselves that the majority of the population supported their policies, despite evidence day after day that Labour voters, even in their core constituencies found the party, its leader and its policies deeply unpalatable.

They will of course blame it all on Brexit, but as Mandy Rice-Davies memorably said 'They would, wouldn't they?'