Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election result - disaster for working class people

(62 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:39:22

Well I hope all you people who voted for someone who consistently lies (even lied to the Queen) didn't have the strength of character to appear on hardly any of the TV debates and has the morals of an alley cat, are well and truly satisfied now! God help us all.

Alima Sat 14-Dec-19 07:07:42

The UK had a referendum on whether to adopt PR in 2011. The result was a thumping great decision to keep FPTP. Of course many of the people who voted in that referendum are no longer with us. Perhaps we should have a re-run.

Iam64 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:28

QuaintIrene, I see you didn't mean to offend or patronise other northerners by your comment but I'm another whose immediate response was to feel offended and patronised. Ooooop North indeed. There remains the view that those of us with northern accents aren't as intelligent as those with southern accents, especially those like our new PM who speak with one of those Eton Oxford accents.

That aside - I'm in a former cotton town, surrounded by other former mill towns where our good Labour MPs lost their seats. Our transport links are dire, employment prospects grim and we are satellite towns for the resettlement of asylum seekers because rents are low. Im absolutely happy to share my area with asylum seekers but I'd like my council to be given extra funding to support them

I accept the Tory landslide, though I can't help feeling anxious about further devastation of pubic services. I remember Mrs May's speech when she arrived at number 10 - all one nation conservatism and to coin a phrase, for the many not the few. We all know how that didn't happen.

It is no consolation to have been proved right, that Labour would never win an election with Corbyn and Momentum as its leadership. What next?

Hetty58 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:19:50

Define 'working class'? People who actually work for a living - like 96 percent of us, that is. Unless you're landed gentry, with unearned income, you are working class. Of course, a lot believe they are 'middle class' instead!

Why did the Tories have success? As predicted, anyone who vote to leave has desperately held their nose and voted (yet again) to leave. Just this once, they've voted Tory.

It's what will happen next time (five short years from now) - as we are still 'brexiting' that will be most interesting.

sunseeker Sat 14-Dec-19 08:41:59

If this result is so bad for the "working class" (hate that phrase), why did so many in Labour "safe" seats in the north vote against Labour? Are some GNs suggesting they were not intelligent enough to understand the implications? My experience of those who live in the north of the country is that they are very "canny" and not easily fooled.

MerylStreep Sat 14-Dec-19 09:09:54

If it's any consolation to posters who live in the north of the country, those of us who live in Essex are also ridiculed.
Double whammy for me as I live in that cultural wasteland called Sarfend ( sarcastic emoji)

But, I have to be fair. The powers that be have given us 4 excellent grammar schools to help us better ourselves ?

Grandma70s Sat 14-Dec-19 09:34:46

My father's theory about northern accents denoting lack of intelligence was that if the speakers were truly intelligent they would have ditched the northern accent and learnt to Talk Proper.

mcem Sat 14-Dec-19 10:19:28

FPTP or PR?
The Holyrood government is elected by PR. Therefore there is a much broader spectrum and representatives of several parties are included. Every vote counts.
Some may not realise it but SNP does not have an overall majority.
Therefore there is far more cooperation. SNP plus significant support from Greens have achieved a great deal.
The physical setup is a 'horseshoe' without the adversarial right/left benches of Westminster.
Had this election been PR then SNP would indeed have had far fewer seats but other well-supported parties would have gained. Unfortunately that would include Brexit party MP's but that's the price we'd have to pay for a truly democratic institution.
I voted for FPTP when I had the chance but the majority voted for the near-binary option where vast numbers of votes count for nothing.

Dinahmo Sat 14-Dec-19 10:41:37

Ironic isn't it? This morning Labour was described as the party of the middle class and Conservative as that of the working class.

Pr by the way. it works well in the European countries that use it, IMO.

Oopsminty Sat 14-Dec-19 10:43:20

I think Quaint Irene was being ironic

SirChenjin Sat 14-Dec-19 11:47:39

mcem it’s not true PR, it’s the Additional Member System for the Parliament and the Single Transferable Vote. While the AMS is a form of PR and better than FPTP it’s far from perfect - huge numbers of votes up here are still ‘wasted‘. Of course, the SNP actually do very well under FPTP at WM

SirChenjin Sat 14-Dec-19 11:49:03

* STV for local councils