Gransnet forums

News & politics

The State Opening of Parliament (again)

(68 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 11:49:16

Wow!

All the pomp and pageantry. Very impressive.

The Fixed Term Parliament Act will be axed.
Corbyn looked as though he’d sucked a lemon.

JenniferEccles Thu 19-Dec-19 12:02:13

His face was a picture wasn’t it? !!

Boris tried to engage him in conversation but he wasn’t having any of it, actually to the point of rudeness.

What a great agenda our government is planning.
Now though we have to put our trust in him not to let us down, particularly those voters who have never voted Tory in their lives before.

I love all the pageantry we have here. All the Black Rod customs, the uniforms, all brilliant.

How lucky we are to be British.

FarNorth Thu 19-Dec-19 12:09:01

we have to put our trust in him not to let us down,

We don't have to trust a proven liar.
Not let us down? I'll believe it when I see it.

A bit of gold braid and trumpeting makes you glad to be British?
You're easily pleased.

Anniebach Thu 19-Dec-19 12:29:34

I missed Dennis Skinner

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 12:37:36

Me too Anniebach .... Harriet Harman was sitting in ‘his’ seat on the bench. End of an era.

I agree JenniferEccles - Corbyn has been a pretty graceless individual in defeat hasn’t he?

A thumping majority of 80 seats for Boris everything in his manifesto can be a shoo-in now! I predict we will be putting the GREAT back into Britain in 2020. I can sense the optimism..
?

craftyone Thu 19-Dec-19 12:40:56

imagine corbyn trying to negotiate with world leaders, doesn`t bear thinking about. Did anyone notice huckleberry ram her way to the front?

Anyone like to be a fly on the wall in corbyns house at christmas, miserable and rude old git?

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 12:48:01

Corbyn certainly looks an old man, especially compared to the vibrancy of 55y old Boris who looks energised and enthusiastic. The GE result has knocked JC for six. McDonnell has had his balloon popped - he looked truly deflated just now on tv. Their moment(um) has been and gone - the silent majority told them to get lost!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 19-Dec-19 12:52:32

Waste of bloody money

Anniebach Thu 19-Dec-19 13:06:29

Walking to the Lords - Corbyn and Johnson led, Thornberry
right behind him .

Leaving the Lords, Johnson, Corbyn and Abbott led, tough on Thornberry

Pittcity Thu 19-Dec-19 13:11:02

Why does Boris remind me of a caveman?

Calendargirl Thu 19-Dec-19 13:21:11

Pittcity

It’s because he is rather hunched over instead of standing up straight. And the wild hair. You can imagine him in an off-the-shoulder animal fur, with a club in his hand, probably dragging a dead animal to his cave for Carrie to cook over a camp fire, dressed rather alluringly in a Raquel Welch fur bikini.

Calendargirl Thu 19-Dec-19 13:23:13

Ready for Boris to ravish her after dinner!!!

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 13:33:03

Ha! Love how this thread has morphed into The Flintstones! Wilma & Betty’s stone necklaces weren’t quite as spectacular as those on display in Parliament today!
?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:54:59

I would rather be "ravished" by Boris than Jeremy Corbyn.
One can only assume with all his experience he must have learnt a few "tricks"tchwink

suzied Thu 19-Dec-19 13:56:42

Boris hair more messy than usual. Anyone who thinks Britain is the only country that does pageantry obviously hasn't travelled much. Of course now Johnson has to deliver and can't blame anyone else. Im looking forward to £350m a week for the NHS and more nurses and police officers and all those new prisons that will have to be built. Basically reversing all those tory cuts they've spent a decade creating. Im not holding my breath. I've nothing to say about Corby except he's leaving 3 years too late.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 19-Dec-19 13:57:34

Urmstongran
Can you wonder after listening to Tony Blair 's opinions concerning the election result.Rubbing salt in the wound comes to mind.

jura2 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:59:03

All I could think was, the poor poor woman - having to go through this again for this awful buffoon, knowing what she knows.

sodapop Thu 19-Dec-19 14:01:29

Yes where does Blair get off putting his oar in after what he did as Prime Minister.

Anniebach Thu 19-Dec-19 14:06:19

Blair is a member of the Labour Party, and was the only Labour leader to win three consecutive elections. Corbyn has managed to lose two elections in one year.

JenniferEccles Thu 19-Dec-19 14:10:00

You can’t honestly think the Queen would have preferred the ghastly Corbyn instead? That’s impossible to believe.

Corbyn LOATHES the royals and won’t even sing the national anthem.

No I’m sure she is delighted to see Boris returned. Corbyn wouldn’t even have the good manners to be respectful.

jo1book Thu 19-Dec-19 14:11:59

Also struck by the churlishness of Corbyn. What a graceless little man.
I thought Blair's comments were spot on. I know Labourites don't like him but he won them elections!

Anniebach Thu 19-Dec-19 14:13:04

Corbyn wants to break up the UK, he was marching for a United Ireland in the 80’s

jo1book Thu 19-Dec-19 14:14:59

I don't know how Corbyn has the gall to even be in Parliament.
At least Kinnock, Milliband had the grace to go immediately.

jo1book Thu 19-Dec-19 14:17:58

The Queen will like Boris. They are from the same class and will mix in same social circles.

Grany Thu 19-Dec-19 14:32:44

The Prole Star
@TheProleStar
Isn't it about time this toxic saboteur was thrown out of the party he spends every waking minute trying to damage? Almost 22k people have already said so.
Expel Tony Blair & Peter Mandelson from the Labour Party - Sign the Petition! chng.it/ZBKXGQpd via

Jane#ReleasetheRussianReport???

Replying to
@TheProleStar
@cannabislee
and
@UKChange
Yes please he is an absolute disgrace #RIPDrDavidKelly
#selfserving #Americaspoodle #warmongering #Centrist
Tony Blair is advising the Saudi government under a £9 million deal between the country and his 'institute''