Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sajid now says 'no alignment post Brexit' ...

(82 Posts)
jura2 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:30:40

So basically what he is saying is that we won't be able to export to EU, and won't be able to take part in production chains. The job losses will be massive- and so will the tax losses, etc.
Madness.

www.explaintrade.com/.../explained-simply...

jura2 Sat 25-Jan-20 20:05:05

www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/177729653632368/

cake and eat it won't happen, for sure.

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 23:09:22

The trouble with the chicken opal is that American chicken is grown with far more antibiotics etc - because of the poor hygiene standards - hence the chlorine as & food poisoning as well. And the trouble with chucking antibiotics routinely into farm animals is it increases antib resistance. That really does affect all of us, even those who choose not to eat poor quality chicken raised in awful conditions .

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 23:11:01

Summary here www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/08/huge-levels-of-antibiotic-use-in-us-farming-revealed

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 23:13:36

And it comes to something when Gideon looks like one of the most sensible voices in the room ?

MaizieD Mon 27-Jan-20 08:42:21

Treaties are not forever, even if Cameron had done what Maisie says.

2 thoughts.
1) Your paranoia level is unhealthy, Cunco
2) 4 years ago, full of national pride, I would have said, 'For goodness sake, we're British, we don't 'do' treaty breaking.'

I don't have national pride any more. No pride in a country that treats foreigners with contempt, that approves of lying and cheating and that elects one of the most worthless people it could find as its Prime Minister.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-Jan-20 10:43:18

This has been discussed at length before on here. You must have missed it. 'Choice' is a privilege of the well off. US chicken will be cheap. Who has to buy cheap food?

I don't think that will bother those who see the very poor as underserving Maizie. However, their own choices may change and that will certainly bother them. If the country is flooded with cheap chicken some of our chicken farmers, who do stick to the current husbandry rules, will go out of business. The government will then have to decide whether to slacken our rules to the same as the USA rules so that our farmers can compete or our farmers chicken will become a very expensive niche market. Whatever happens, it will affect us all. Deep pockets may help but I bet they will be the first to grumble. After all, in their minds, life is for the 'deserving' well off.

I am quite sure we will have the currently right-wing nativists telling us that if we don't look after everyone we look after no one, at some point and we will be encouraged to Buy British, even if we can't afford it.