Gransnet forums

News & politics

INDEPENDENCE DAY!

(559 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 30-Jan-20 04:35:37

Hurrah! We're getting OUT at last!

But it seems strange to me that there is so little talk/news on the media about this. Before the General Election everything was about Brexit. To the point that even I got sick to death of it! But it's all gone quiet since then. Are there to be no celebrations from all those who voted to leave? (Sad that Big Ben won't even mark this historic event.)

(I was talking to a young woman the other day, and she didn't even know that we were leaving the EU on Friday!)

I can't really celebate in style, as most of my family wanted to remain -otherwise I would have had a party! So it will be a bit of a damp squib for me!

I shall still open a bottle of champers and toast this great country of ours - our democracy, our integrity - and now, at last, our freedom from a corrupt and self-serving feudalistic state.

aprilrose Thu 30-Jan-20 08:43:08

* don’t want to spell it out but from your negative remarks I’m calculating that your thoughts on “ you remain minded people ” are not pleasant or conciliatory*

I think you have read more negativity in there than I have actually stated. Your perspective therefore I suspect is that any thoughts from leave minded people must be negative.

I simply said and I restate, you do not know and you do not want to know

My statement - "Your do not know" is one of fact, you do not know....... "You really do not want to know" means precisely that - you are not interested...... ( I know from what is said here remain minded are not interested in the thoughts of leave minded).

Iam64 Thu 30-Jan-20 08:44:37

I'm sorry we're leaving the EU. I enjoyed being part of Europe. I voted to join the Common Market and was happy to be part of the continent of Europe.
I was disappointed with the campaign (understatement there) but accepted the result. I hope things work out better than we fear but I still believe it was a huge mistake.

vegansrock Thu 30-Jan-20 08:46:34

april I am interested - so to state “ you do not want to know “ is inaccurate. You can’t read my thoughts any more than you state I can’t read yours. Ok I’m interested - what are your thoughts on “you remain minded people”. ?

Calendargirl Thu 30-Jan-20 08:59:35

Watched the Nick Robinson documentary, Them and Us I think it was called. Made and broadcast just prior to the referendum, going back over the decades as to why we joined originally. Very interesting viewing, and hearing various politicians from all countries discussing it all pre Brexit.

MerylStreep Thu 30-Jan-20 09:02:01

Lyndiloo & aprilrose
Our celebrations are all in hand ?????( and food,of course ) ?
Fortunately it's being held in a rural location so we can make as much noise as we want and let the fireworks off.

Grandad1943 Thu 30-Jan-20 09:04:07

I think everyone should look to their pets on Friday night as doubtless some Brexit twits with no brain cells whatsoever will be letting off fireworks from 11pm to midnight.

However, like others I have not heard of any organised events here in North Somerset.

sf101 Thu 30-Jan-20 09:22:04

I too have noticed how quiet the media are. I think they only like reporting conflict and if there isn't any they try to whip it up. Now that there is a big majority, no knife edge votes and humiliating defeats to report so really just boring old politics as usual!
I am glad we will be out but no celebrating for me just relief. And the hard work starts now.

JenniferEccles Thu 30-Jan-20 09:45:29

I suppose the Corona virus has dominated the news recently but like Lyndiloo I have been surprised there has been virtually no mention of our leaving this Friday.

I am pleased, relieved, because at times it did seem as if it would never happen.

Although I obviously realise that it’s not what some wanted, I am optimistic that things will settle down and the divisions will be healed.

After all, despite what some seem to think, we are still part of Europe, aren’t we?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Jan-20 09:56:30

Well said Veganstock. I will not be celebrating and I shall be going to Cardiff to take part in the vigil and mourn with our European friends. It is will be a sad day but it won't change our lives much for a year then we will see the result of this dreadful decision made by narrow minded people.

MerylStreep Thu 30-Jan-20 10:07:43

Grandad1943
If I'm the brexit twit with no brain cells that your referring to I can assure you that there will no animals anywhere near us.

Gwiz5 Thu 30-Jan-20 10:15:08

I wonder through all of this ; Would the leavers had made the same kind of demands for a do over had they won a democratic vote. Would they have labeled everyone who disagreed with them uneducated stupid vile idiots racist xenophobes ?
The fear of the unknown makes for a bitter battleground. I really hope what happens is our country strengthens and grows economically.
We should be working towards making it the best place to be not destroying it from the inside.

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jan-20 10:19:52

If we are a small country with little to trade, then why have the EU moved heaven and earth to prevent us leaving? Surely they would be pleased to see the back of this unimportant cold damp island off the northern coast of Europe, and have sent us on our way with alacrity and a collective sigh of relief?!!

Granny23 Thu 30-Jan-20 10:20:59

I was shocked to see the puerile antics of the Brexit Party MSPs but nearly moved to tears by the entire parliament singing Auld Lang Syne. The much quoted speech that Alyn Smith made in the EU Parliament which finished with a plea to MEPs to 'Leave a light on for Scotland' has inspired me and thousands more to join a vigil or leave a light on at 11pm to mark the passing of our relationship with our friends in the EU.

vegansrock Thu 30-Jan-20 10:21:10

Those who have caused bitter divisions are now calling for us to "work together". Not going happen.

lemongrove Thu 30-Jan-20 10:25:51

Lyndiloo and aprilrose ???
We shall we celebrating with a glass of Bolly, those who wish to will be doing even more celebrating, and those who are sad
About leaving the EU won’t be doing anything. All of which is fine.
As MawB says, don’t let this thread become one of insults to either side.
The reason the government is keeping things low key presumably is to try and heal rifts.

lemongrove Thu 30-Jan-20 10:27:06

It will happen vegansrock.....just needs a bit of time.

Teetime Thu 30-Jan-20 10:32:46

I shall certainly raise a glass but not till Saturday as I'm on Dry January. I look forward to some good things happening. My darling daughter wanted to remain and is very upset - we have shared our views and agreed to disagree with no acrimony at all.

Davidhs Thu 30-Jan-20 10:35:19

I’m happier now that we have stopped “cozying up” to Trump
and ministers are saying OUR standards will be upheld. At least we have a government that has an agenda, let’s hope there is a substantial agreement this time next year. Behind closed doors there is going to be a lot of horse trading, hopefully that isn’t become a daily drip drip of propaganda as previously.

MaizieD Thu 30-Jan-20 10:55:08

why have the EU moved heaven and earth to prevent us leaving?

They haven't, Jabberwok.

The EU will survive us leaving far better than we will and absolutely refuse to impair the integrity of the Single Market; despite what was promised by Leave campaigners who thought that we could retain all the benefits of the Single Market without any of its obligations. They set out their Red Lines very early on and have more or less stuck to them.

And it was the DUP and the ERG that stymied May's attempts to get her Withdrawal Agreement through parliament, not 'Remain MPs' so hated by the rabid RW media... Of course, Johnson's WA is basically May's, with a twiddle to the NI border. We're still in 'vassallage' for another year... (I notice that all the 'independence' people are steadfastly ignoring that now, despite screaming about it a year ago...)

MaizieD Thu 30-Jan-20 10:57:15

I look forward to some good things happening.

Please tell us what good things are going to happen, teetime. I still haven't found out, despite asking for the last three years...

paddyanne Thu 30-Jan-20 11:17:00

he EU haven't moved heaven and earth to stop the UK leaving,the WEstminster parliament was the place where the problems were,and rightly so.If you want democracy ALL voices must be heard,
On a different subject I hope you are aware of the huge price rises heading your way if we dont get a trade deal with the EU? do you REALLY believe this disunited kingdom can get a better deal than a group of 28? As the wee man /woman who owns your corner shop if they get the same deals as Tesco or Morrisons when they try to fill their shelves.I still think Brexiteers are living in a fantasy land that never existed and they want the rest of us to suffer for their stupid voting mistake .

My country voted REMAIN we're being dragged out against our will .Democracy? The biggest lie in the "union"Theres England who tells the rest of us what to do ,,because like MOST bullies they're the biggest 80% ofMP's in westminster are English ,therefore its an ENGLISH parliament .,They can NEVER lose

AllTheLs Thu 30-Jan-20 11:32:11

Lyndiloo, aprilrose, MerylStreep, & lemongrove

Yes, we shall also be celebrating. I've been looking forward to it for a while and didn't think it was going to happen until BJ won the election.

My cats will be safely indoors. We have some sparklers to light up at 11pm.

My family also didn't vote to leave. Although we would never fall out with them over it (and vice versa) we thought it would be tactless to have a party. So, instead, we're going to a lovely and very popular Chinese restaurant.

It will be very interesting on a number of accounts - will there be like-minded celebrators? will there be remainers consoling themselves? will there be any people there at all due to worries over coronavirus?

I make no apologies for my voting to leave, or celebrating the fact that we are, but I agree that the display by Nigel Farage and his cronies yesterday was pathetic.

janipat Thu 30-Jan-20 11:45:48

I too voted remain as did my area London and we are being taken out too, but paddyanne when will you accept it's not bullying that 80% of the MPs in parliament represent English constituencies when over 80% of the UK population lives in England? Do you really think the over 80% should be represented by say, 25% of MPs?

growstuff Thu 30-Jan-20 11:54:22

I understand where paddyanne is coming from. It's a conundrum with democracy (the old two wolves and a sheep deciding who to eat for dinner). Scotland will always have a minority in the UK parliament (as will Wales and NI), so anything which affects the smaller countries only will always be defeated.

The same thing happens in any democratically elected body. Some areas will always have different needs, but it is the majority view which prevails.

Maybe London should declare its own independence grin! It is, after all, more populous than some sovereign states.

lemongrove Thu 30-Jan-20 13:22:43

Scotland has more than it’s fair share of MP’s in Westminster.