Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phillip Scofield Why all the Fuss

(440 Posts)
glammanana Fri 07-Feb-20 12:14:44

Why is his private life so important to everyone he is a lovely man and shouldn't have to explain himself to the media if he was the man next door would anyone be bothered I doubt it.

Greymar Tue 11-Feb-20 14:17:58

Awful bullying on here.

May7 Tue 11-Feb-20 14:45:24

GREYMAR
I agree but they dont seem to know how to stop confused

suziewoozie Tue 11-Feb-20 14:53:50

I’m bullying no one on this thread - it was tickingbird who laid into me accusing me of ridiculous opinions and personally attacking me because SHE decided what I’d meant to write and not what I had written. She’s admitted the latter but sees nothing wrong with it.

pinkquartz Tue 11-Feb-20 16:13:54

But the more celebs that hide being gay the harder they are making it for ordinary people. Acting as if it was wrong is not good.
There is nothing wrong and it should not be hidden.
It is the people who are homophobic that should be ashamed not the gay people.

PS did jump before he was pushed.

tickingbird Tue 11-Feb-20 17:02:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tickingbird Tue 11-Feb-20 17:15:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 17:25:44

Agree pinkquartz, anyone struggling to come out could listen to Schofield and think - ‘keeping silent must have helped him in his career.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Feb-20 17:30:45

I'm sure it did, just as being openly bisexual (or possibly not. I have heard it was a deliberate ploy) helped David Bowie.

It was so long ago that someone out of Boyzone came out, because they had a clean cut image, as did Phillip S.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Feb-20 17:33:24

Oops. not so long ago.
There are also people who have kept girlfriends, wives, husbands, secret because that's what has kept up their image.

Doodledog Tue 11-Feb-20 18:08:21

People don't get pressure to 'come out' as straight, so I don't think that there is any obligation for gay people to declare their sexuality.

In the 80s (or was it the 90s?) there was a trend for celebrities to be 'outed' using the logic that staying 'in the closet' was delaying normalisation of homosexuality. That trend stopped ages ago - maybe when Jason Donovan sued, saying that he had a right to privacy. I agree that people have this right, and should not feel that their private lives need to be made public.

As for PS and the timing of his announcement, well, time will tell. It does seem a bit odd that he's decided to talk about it after all this time, but that is his choice, and if there is scandal behind it I doubt that any pre-empting of it will make any difference. It's just not a big deal any more, and I don't think that people will be sidetracked into excusing any impropriety if that is what has happened. If it hasn't, then it will all die a death and normal business will be resumed when the next talking point comes along.

pinkquartz Tue 11-Feb-20 19:30:15

doodledog

There was no obligation for PS to declare he was gay.

PS could have carried on as he was. he says he felt pressure to be honest.

I don't care about his sexuality or anyone else's but he made it look like a big deal
He made it a big deal and it seems it was because he was going to be outed as a liar.
It's not a bit odd it is all under control by his publicist and as it is all engineered for his career.

There is no pressure for anyone to declare their sexuality

Though apparently he has been very judgemental about guests on the show he presents, asking people why they have kept things hidden

The only pressure was his own

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 11-Feb-20 21:38:51

Hi all,

Just popping on as this thread is turning into a bit of a bun fight. As in real life, we may not always see eye to eye, but please do refrain from personal attacks. smile

faye17 Sun 16-Feb-20 20:14:08

My gosh there's some amount of gossip being bandied about on this thread. None of us are perfect and surely we can all empathise with another human being who is in obvious pain. Philip is the one we feel we 'know' as a household name whereas we would have had no opportunity to come to know his wife/ daughters/ extended family.
Of course our hearts go out to all of them as it does to all families going through difficult times.
All heros are not climbing ladders into burning buildings or fighting killer diseases. Most are far humbler, leading ordinary lives, meeting personal challenges with incredible bravery, often with little or no support. None of us know the secret battles of another's life so we should be kinder. Never underestimate the power of a word be it spoken or written. Most of us are on this website for the comfort & support we hope to give/get to & from each other.
At the end of the day we're all just walking each other home.
Wishing the Scofield family wellsunshine

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 13:55:23

I can't watch him anymore.

After all these years. It's fine that he is gay, it's the lying bit that did it for me.
I would understand it if it was 1920, and illegal.
But the children?
Did he lie every anecdote about "married" life with "Steph".
Is it brave of him? I can't say it is.
I watch other programs now. My heart goes out to his children, and wife, if she did not know before marrying him.