Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cabinet reshuffle

(190 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 11:57:52

Sajid Javid has just resigned as Chancellor!

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 13:36:06

No Urm it’s much more complex then that. It’s a very controlling move - you can all be on the same side whilst robustly challenging each other in private, this move is to stop challenges which in a democracy are essential. Primus inter pares and all that

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 13:46:20

Over my head sw I didn’t learn Latin. Sounds good though!

New Chancellor is a Brexiteer (oops, banned word but still) so it’ll be full steam ahead now for ‘levelling up’. Why not? Interest rates are at an all time low - as Labour kept telling us.
?

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 13:47:39

The Spectators take on this

‘The special adviser restructuring is also part of a centralisation of power that has been in the works for some time. Since Javid entered No. 11 he has been haunted by the Whitehall nickname ‘chino’ – Chancellor in name only. It touches on the idea that it is really No. 10 making the big spending decisions and Javid is simply compliant. Today’s proposals were seen on the Treasury side as a step too far on these grounds. The concern was that the combined SpAd unit would lessen the authority of the Treasury further – handing even more power to No. 10. It’s also the case that Javid previously lost two aides previously as a result of clashes with 10 Downing Street. At the time, he was said to be livid and has been keen not to repeat the same mistakes.

Yet Javid’s resignation means these new proposals will go ahead. Javid’s deputy Rishi Sunak has been appointed as his successor. He has been heavily promoted and has a month to get to grips with his new brief before presenting his first Budget. Sunak has long been seen as a rising star and is the person in the Treasury who No. 10 preferred to deal with. Sunak will be helped by the new No. 10/No. 11 special adviser unit. Sunak is a Brexiteer who has good relations both with the Prime Minister and his team. One insider suggests that their relationship will be a friendly one similar to that of David Cameron and George Osborne. What’s clear is that today’s changes mean No. 10 has taken control.’

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 13:50:11

Dominic Cummings sacked one of Sajid Javid's SPADs, without even giving Javid notice of what he was about to do. Cummings has been writing and speaking about restructuring back room staff for ages. Next in line will be the civil service and the judiciary. Soon, the government will not be accountable to anyone.

vegansrock Thu 13-Feb-20 13:50:26

Basically it means that Cummings is running everything.

vegansrock Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:02

Talk about Rasputin figure.

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:50

Primus inter pares is supposed to be the fundamental,guiding principle as to the relationship between the PM and his Cabinet. It’s actually irrelevant now whose Chancellor as long as he performs well on the at waves.Policy will be decided by DC and that’s it. Full steam ahead for ‘levelling up’? In your dreams

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:51

There's no reason why "levelling up" couldn't have taken place, Brexit or not. We'll see.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:52

Seems my thoughts echo those of ‘The Soectator’ who’d have thunk it?

eazybee Thu 13-Feb-20 13:54:53

SPADS, BJ, SJ, JS,PP, DC.
For goodness sake , use people's names, at least one of them.

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 13:55:19

In what respect do your thoughts echo those of the "Spectator"?

Considering the "Spectator" is right-wing, it's not really surprising you're in agreement, but I've missed the point you're making.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 13:55:45

Dominic Cummings sacked one of Sajid Javid's SPADs, without even giving Javid notice of what he was about to do

Desperate measures in desperate times growstuff as the SPAD in question was sneaking stuff out behind Javid’s back to Philip Hammond.

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 13:56:38

SpAds = special advisors. I haven't a clue how many there are, but it would be a long list.

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 13:56:42

I really think your posts are a bit muddled Urm

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 13:58:02

Muddled how?

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 13:58:17

Allegedly!

So why didn't Cummings at least inform Javid?

Cummings is unelected and isn't in charge of SpAds.

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 13:59:26

A few days about,Urm thought BJ paid DC’s salary ?. And eazy if you don’t know the initials of these leading players, you need to do a bit more homework.

vegansrock Thu 13-Feb-20 14:00:02

Remember this lot mosning about the EU being run by “unelected bureaucrats”. Ironic.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:00:26

A friend in NI has just sent me a message ‘Glad to hear that the useless Julian Smith is out. This fly-in, fly-out N Ir. Secretary was never here.
He couldn't make a decision to save his life!‘

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 14:00:52

Didn't Jeffrey Archer write a book called "First Among Equals" (primus inter pares)?

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 14:01:43

More coming out about why JS was sacked

growstuff Thu 13-Feb-20 14:01:52

That's not what the other messages from NI are saying, Urmstongran.

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 14:03:06

Well* Urm* that clinches it . He clearly deserved to go, Now where is it you live annepl?

suziewoozie Thu 13-Feb-20 14:05:09

What religion and political party is your friend Urm and what is their role at Stormont? I think we should we told ?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:11:21

SPADs are paid for by the taxpayer. I got it wrong before.

From the Guardian:

‘Boris Johnson has expanded the government’s team of taxpayer-funded special advisers compared with Theresa May’s time in office, with three identified as being paid more than £140,000 a year.’