Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leaving Archie behind

(62 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:19:25

Am I the only one who thinks it was a bit unkind of Harry and Meghan not to bring Archie to the UK with them on this trip? It's not as if Meghan would have to sit with Archie on her knee for nine hours in cattle class and then have to drag him around with her. I very much doubt that they will come to the UK very often and Prince Philip is obviously ailing. We read many posts on here from grandparents who never see their grandchildren and are so upset by it. The royal family may have different lives from the rest of us, but they are still human beings who love their grandchildren/ great grandchildren. I think it was a mean, even vindictive, decision.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Mar-20 20:04:08

Forgotfto say I actually feel very sorry for the poor little boy who will probably miss out on experiencing extended family life.

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 20:06:02

We don't know these people,they are strangers. Why can't people grasp this?
What we would like is irrelevant.

Phillip sorry, but must be near the end, I doubt he is pining for a cranky , overtired 10 month year old.

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 20:06:56

" poor little boy", have you seen pictures of the refugees at the Greek border?

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:07:23

Cousins, aunts and uncles too Barmeyoldbat a huge family on his father's side.

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:10:28

PP may not be pining for his 10 month old GGC Greymar but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have liked to have seen him does it.

You're right, we don't know these people but you're making assumptions just like the rest of us.

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 20:13:28

The assumptions I am making are factual. The RF have wealth and family around them. Fact.

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:17:29

I don't see what that has to do with it. No one is saying the RF doesn't have wealth and family around them. Being rich with a lot of family around you, doesn't stop you from missing the one, or two people you love who aren't there does it.

travelsafar Sat 07-Mar-20 20:22:34

Prehaps they skyp and the great grandparents see Archie that way. smile

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 20:27:09

You seem to have a hotline directly into exactly what the RF's feelings are, GagaJo!
How do you know how they think or feel?

Anyway it's up to the parents what they decide to do.

Grannyben Sat 07-Mar-20 20:36:27

Have Buckingham Palace actually announced that he isn't here. Maybe he is but they just haven't discussed it with us

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:40:20

I think if he was here we'd know about it.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Mar-20 20:40:35

Get a grip Greymar, poor little boy was a turn of phrase. And yes I have seen the pictures of refugees and I well aware of the problems they are facing. I teach english once a week to refugees and I contribute to a charity.

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 20:54:02

Archie will be OK.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:05:26

greymar Archie will be ok

This an assumption I presume, not a fact.

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 21:11:12

Let's have a wee think now, he is healthy and well and has loving parents. I assume he has a nanny and a Grandparent close by. I assume all is well an he isn't traumatised from not seeing cousin Charlotte or Great Grandad.

Anniebach Sat 07-Mar-20 21:36:19

He isn’t seeing two grandfathers, a great grandmother, a great
grandfather, an uncle and aunt, 3 cousins, 3 great uncles, 5 great aunts. An extended family is wonderful

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 21:47:07

Do you think it's at all possible that some people are playing out their fantasies throught this family, who infact are complete strangers? just a thought.

Anniebach Sat 07-Mar-20 21:56:58

I am not, my two daughters loved their dead fathers sister and
parents telling them about their daddy.

I had a very large extended family , no fantasy, much love

Fennel Sat 07-Mar-20 23:27:56

I'm not really interested in the dynamics of the RF .But if I had a baby of that age (or any age) I would want him with me all the time.
Why have they left him behind?
Maybe fear of coronavirus wink.

janipat Sat 07-Mar-20 23:41:01

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but since when does sympathy have to be rationed? It's possible to have sympathy, and indeed empathy, with many different situations, some obviously more desperate than others. My dad, a widower at the time, would have loved to meet his great granddaughter born in Canada (his 3rd great grandchild) but his health wasn't up to the travel and there wasn't the money for the Canadian family to come here. And anyway he died just over two months later. He'd not have managed to get down on the floor either, would that make him unworthy, despite being only 81?
It's illuminating how many feel able to make negative assumptions about the Royal Family, yet deny others the same ability to make more positive assumptions. Of course the plight of refugees is awful, but sympathy for one does not exclude sympathy for the other. Just because you personally couldn't care less about seeing a grandchild or great grandchild doesn't mean everybody shares the same indifference. No child ever suffered from too many people loving it.

Dollymac Sat 07-Mar-20 23:42:42

Les tricoteuses

janipat Sun 08-Mar-20 00:02:04

Dollymac says more about you than anyone else.

vegansrock Sun 08-Mar-20 03:37:51

Few 10 month old babies enjoy travelling long distances and anyone who has taken a baby to a different time zone knows it can take days to adjust sleep patterns. So for a few days it would be very disruptive for such a young child. He would not appreciate “seeing” anyone . The child’s needs should come above that of elderly relatives who may or may not be interested.

Nezumi65 Sun 08-Mar-20 04:01:48

The queen left her old children for long periods of time. I’m sure she’s not that fussed about a great grandchild. Perhaps they Skype ?

My children rarely saw their great grandmother because it was difficult to visit. We stayed in touch in other ways.

DillytheGardener Sun 08-Mar-20 05:35:16

Considering they have flown with him before it could be they are concerned about him catching coronavirus or perhaps he’s been ill recently and they don’t want him to travel after an ear infection or the like, we aren’t privy to why they decided to leave him behind so it maybe a practical sensible reason.