Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leaving Archie behind

(62 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:19:25

Am I the only one who thinks it was a bit unkind of Harry and Meghan not to bring Archie to the UK with them on this trip? It's not as if Meghan would have to sit with Archie on her knee for nine hours in cattle class and then have to drag him around with her. I very much doubt that they will come to the UK very often and Prince Philip is obviously ailing. We read many posts on here from grandparents who never see their grandchildren and are so upset by it. The royal family may have different lives from the rest of us, but they are still human beings who love their grandchildren/ great grandchildren. I think it was a mean, even vindictive, decision.

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 07:29:25

I don't pretend to know about the feelings of the Queen and other members of the royal family towards seeing the baby.
Nothing to stop this couple extending their paid -for visit into a private one so that the child would have time to settle. He was taken to to Ibiza, Africa, Elton John's hideaway and Canada.

I do recognise a classic technique of estrangement, when the dominant parent controls access to the child, and the weaker parent stands by and lets it happen.

sodapop Sun 08-Mar-20 08:33:55

I think you are right eazybee It's sad for the Queen and Prince Philip to be treated this way but seems to happen in many families.

EllanVannin Sun 08-Mar-20 09:09:13

It's not " long-haul " Vegansrock. The furthest part of Canada is only a third of the distance to Sydney, 9hrs or thereabout.

There's no reason why that child couldn't have travelled with them with nanny in tow. I thought it was so mean considering the ages of the Queen and Duke. It puts an entirely different light on their attitudes now-----selfish and thoughtless ! Typical of many ordinary families.

vegansrock Sun 08-Mar-20 13:58:54

ellanvannin Canada may not be as far as Australia , but it certainly counts as long haul in aviation terms. Why disrupt the child, who is at peak age for anxiety about changes in routine for a short visit?With the tim difference it would mean settling them to a new sleep/ wake routine. By the time they’d done that it would be time to return.

timetogo2016 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:07:14

Archies great grandparents won`t be here for much longer and would have loved to see him as I`m sure his cousins would.
Seems a bit out of character for Harry tbh.
I hope he doesn`t live to regret it.

Calendargirl Sun 08-Mar-20 14:16:11

Haven’t read all the thread, but maybe it was decided to leave Archie at home because of the corona virus, and also because his parents won’t be away for very long. I suspect he spends quite a bit of time with nanny or whoever anyway.
As for the Queen and D of E, well, although much is made of ‘family’, I imagine at their age they are not too bothered about seeing him in the flesh. GGC are yet another step away, and I wouldn’t think they are upset really. Although like the rest of GN, I have no idea what they think of course!

allium Sun 08-Mar-20 14:25:16

Maybe they have a tighter security/travel budget since intention to leave royal role?

trisher Sun 08-Mar-20 14:28:56

Would he have seen any of his extended family? Don't they all have timetables and schedules that are booked months or even years in advance? Why do GNers persist in pretending the RF operates just like they do? It's not just pathetic it's delusional. And what mother would bring her child to a country where his great grandmother could, if she wanted, legally claim him?

EllanVannin Sun 08-Mar-20 14:30:38

Vegansrock---they wouldn't have noticed any time difference travelling first class with its sleeping arrangements, babies usually sleep if the parents are sensible enough about time differences.

Summerlove Sun 08-Mar-20 14:31:33

If they’d brought him, they’d have been called out for not caring about his health.

There is no winning for this couple.

If people are so eager for them to get on with private lives, why not make it easier and stop gossiping about discussing them?

Summerlove Sun 08-Mar-20 14:32:52

Ellan, have you have travelled with a small child?

They absolutely get jet lag. Even with sensible parents.

Depending on where they flew from, it’s either a 6-9 hour time difference!