Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Guardian Cartoon of Priti Patel & Boris Johnson

(61 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sun 08-Mar-20 12:02:57

As The Guardian is often quoted by many posters on the political threads as the only accurate/acceptable source of news/current affairs.

I am interested to know what they think of the cartoon depicting the Home Secretary as a Bull complete with horns and a ring through her nose especially as in the religion she follows cows/bulls are sacred??

Would it be acceptable to depict a Muslim member of parliament as a pig? I doubt it very much, in my opinion it would be the cause of moral outrage by many?

I have not posted a photograph of the cartoon, as I do not want to perpetuate the humiliating image.

Alexa Sun 08-Mar-20 15:05:57

The cartooon.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2020/mar/04/steve-bell-on-boris-johnson-defending-priti-patel-at-pmqs-cartoon

Alexa Sun 08-Mar-20 15:09:17

Only the more superstitious hindus take old cutoms seriously by old customs like revering cattle. Ms Patel is not a village ignoramus. I guess Priti- Is -As -Priti -Does is too sophisticated to be offended about cow and bull jokes.

Joelsnan Sun 08-Mar-20 15:29:17

Alexa
Based on your premise then a sophisticated muslim should not be offended if represented by a pig?

Baggs Sun 08-Mar-20 16:51:07

Depends what you mean by acceptable. In a free society it is acceptable to poke fun, to insult even, political leaders. I saw the cartoon and didn't like it but it did make me think: "Bulls in a china shop", not because I think Patel and Johnson necessarily are that but because I think others might see them as such. Then I shrugged. I favour the freedom of a free society.

So I think it's acceptable in that respect. It's also horrible. I think it will have boosted rather than damaged respect and support for Priti Patel.

kittylester Sun 08-Mar-20 16:57:19

I also think it is dreadful, gg

vegansrock Sun 08-Mar-20 17:01:26

Is Priti Patel religious? Evidence? Would be being depicted as a sacred animal be more offensive than being depicted as an unclean one? Cartoonists have a long history of mocking political leaders, Should they be censored for fear of causing offence ? Even when there is no evidence of offence being caused?

Nandalot Sun 08-Mar-20 17:21:54

As well as ‘ a bull in a China shop’ perhaps it is a play on words - bullying. Also Johnson was one of the Bullingdon set.

Joelsnan Sun 08-Mar-20 17:23:05

vegansrock
Although I disliked the cartoon, it is in poor taste, the guy who drew it did have the freedom to draw and publish it. That is as it should be.
What concerns me more is the different standards applied to this cartoon. Had this not been a lady of Asian descent, maybe of African/Caribbean descent or of muslim faith, there would have been a media firestorm and potentially street rioting. This thread would have been on page 12 with those quick to throw in the racist card, the same who are justifying and applying simplistic interpretations of the cartoon.

Dinahmo Sun 08-Mar-20 18:11:44

Joelsnan I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder but no different standards have been applied to this cartoon than have been applied to any other. Political cartoonists are usually hard hitting eg Rowlandson in the late 18th century and his cartoons of Prinny and Mrs Fitz amongst others.

Chestnut Sun 08-Mar-20 18:29:10

I love cartoons. I can think up some real belters but unfortunately can't put the picture in my head onto the paper! However, this one is vile and if that's his style then I hope I never see any of his cartoons again. ?

Baggs Sun 08-Mar-20 19:16:04

Ah, yes, nandalot! Nifty thinking on your part.

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 19:30:23

Cartoonists have a long history of mocking political leaders, Should they be censored for fear of causing offence ? Even when there is no evidence of offence being caused?

So why was there so much offence taken when Boris Johnson, writing an article defending its wearing, likened the burka to a letterbox?

growstuff Sun 08-Mar-20 19:31:41

The Outraged of Orpington have obviously never heard of:

bull-y
bullshit
bullheaded
bullish
or talking bull.

growstuff Sun 08-Mar-20 19:35:06

And why did the cartoonist depict Boris Johnson as a bull?

trisher Sun 08-Mar-20 19:49:43

eazybee if we have reached the stage where people can't see the difference between cartoonists (whose purpose and job description is taking the piss) and politicians (who are supposed to be moral, take diversity seriously and represent all faiths and none) we are truly up the creek!! (and without a paddle in sight!)

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 19:52:09

Really?
I have never heard of a job description like that before.
How crude.

trisher Sun 08-Mar-20 19:58:28

Not crude easybee just an historical phrase. It comes from the tanning industry which relied on people providing their urine.

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 20:05:51

And has nothing to do with job descriptions.
As I understand it, freedom of speech is extended to people who draw pictures for newspapers, but not to journalists who write for them, because they are also MPs.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 21:32:52

I wonder how Patel squares her treatment of her staff with the Hindu teachings about kindness, compassion, karma and harmlessness?

It’s a cartoon in a country where free speech is tolerated - I cannot get worked up about it.

trisher Sun 08-Mar-20 22:14:48

Well there you are eazybee we are up the creek without a paddle! But then I knew that, look at who is PM!

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 08:52:04

How do we know how Priti Patel treats her staff? We have, so far, only heard one side of the story. Or did I miss the result of any unbiased investigation?

trisher Mon 09-Mar-20 10:14:01

kittylester would you have asked the same question before Harvey Weinstein's trial?

Alexa Mon 09-Mar-20 11:25:42

Alexa
Based on your premise then a sophisticated muslim should not be offended if represented by a pig?(Joelsnan)

Pigs are supposed by some people to be unclean but cows are honoured by some other people. If Prito P is a village hindu who honours cows why should she be offended by cow horns?

kircubbin2000 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:19:44

I think the Guardian is a lefty paper so I'm not surprised.

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 16:14:18

Being thick here, trisher but I don't follow?