Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Guardian Cartoon of Priti Patel & Boris Johnson

(61 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sun 08-Mar-20 12:02:57

As The Guardian is often quoted by many posters on the political threads as the only accurate/acceptable source of news/current affairs.

I am interested to know what they think of the cartoon depicting the Home Secretary as a Bull complete with horns and a ring through her nose especially as in the religion she follows cows/bulls are sacred??

Would it be acceptable to depict a Muslim member of parliament as a pig? I doubt it very much, in my opinion it would be the cause of moral outrage by many?

I have not posted a photograph of the cartoon, as I do not want to perpetuate the humiliating image.

trisher Mon 09-Mar-20 16:24:55

Weinstein was widely condemned in the press and on GN before the trial kittylester I just wondered how far your "presumed innocent" beliefs extended?

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 16:30:03

I dont think you saw me condemn Harvey Weinstein on here either Trisher.

POGS Mon 09-Mar-20 16:54:04

On the Andrew Marr Show yesterday one of the settee commentators doing the paper review was actually able to speak with authority because he had worked with/for Priti Patel.

He did not have a bad word to say about her, quite the opposite.

That must have caused a bit of personal embarrassment for Andrew Marr after he had shamefully accused Priti Patel of smiling over bad news which was false and the BBC apologised for his rant.

It is perfectly acceptable for any person to make accusations of bullying but equally it is perfectly acceptable for any person accused of bullying to also be a participant in a due care and due diligence process and the right to be innocent until proven guilty. Given the high profile of Priti Patel and Sir Philip Rutnum it is correct procedure for the Cabinet Office to assess the truth or lies behind the situation.

SirChenjin Mon 09-Mar-20 17:13:05

Interestingly, many of those who have worked for her have a completely different take on her. I’m sure Marr isn’t at all embarrassed.

If it turns out that she hasn’t billed all the people that claim she has then she has nothing to worry about and is obviously practising Hinduism as it should be.

I still can’t get worked up about some cartoons depicting both of them as bulls in a china shop.

SirChenjin Mon 09-Mar-20 17:13:29

Bullied

POGS Mon 09-Mar-20 17:17:34

trisher Mon 09-Mar-20 16:24:55

'Weinstein was widely condemned in the press and on GN before the trial kittylester I just wondered how far your "presumed innocent" beliefs extended?'
--

Hmm. I wonder how far those posters who prefer the ' kangaroo court' method instead of believing in ' presumed innocence' and spoke so robustly / nastily on GN in an accusatory manner over the Westminster Peaodophile Ring accusation believing it was all true or Christopher Jefferies was guilty because he ' looked a wrong un' would go. Lord knows there are plenty of GN posters who should feel ashamed they preferred the Kangaroo Court method, they were proven to be bang out of order, not that they would care.

Using Weinstein as a point to try and say he was guilty and we knew it and relating it to the Priti Patel debacle shows you are ' presuming guilt ' and not even giving ' presumed innocent ' a look in. The Kangarro Court may well be correct and Priti Patel is found guilty as charged but others prefer to follow process and like to understand what information will inevitably be produced to come to their conclusion.

That is what Kitty is saying in my opinion, apologies if I am mistaken Kitty.

trisher Mon 09-Mar-20 17:23:32

POGS I really was just interested to know if kittylester applied the same principles to everyone. Or if her comment was politically influenced. I don't understand why you feel the need to intervene.

vegansrock Mon 09-Mar-20 17:56:22

We are all assuming that just because Patel is of Hindu heritage she subscribes to teaching of that religion. Do we have any evidence of that?

vegansrock Mon 09-Mar-20 17:57:02

Does she believe in the caste system.?

SirChenjin Mon 09-Mar-20 18:06:41

None at all vegan. I was merely building on the presumption of the OP which was that the cartoon is hugely offensive because the cow is sacred in the Hindu religion.