Gransnet forums

News & politics

What s wromg with the UK?

(89 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 19-Mar-20 20:00:25

I've been watching the Channel 4 News and 3 items have enraged me:

1. Young people still going to pubs and restaurants - they should all be closed.

2. There are still elderly people saying that they're going to carry on as normal. This is not WW2 when the threat was visible and/or audible. The corona virus is a silent enemy.

3. The report into the Windrush generation. Pritti Patel has "apologised" and yet it is her department that is responsible for the pain that those people have suffered. Those people have worked in the UK for many years. There will be records of their NI contributions etc etc etc and yet they have been asked to provide even more documentation.

What particularly annoys me is that we have left the EU at a time when countries should be working together. We are no longer a great nation but we are a selfish one.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:06:13

I never understood why - when the people brought home from the virus-hit cruise ship were made to isolate on the Wirral -people flying in from affected areas were just allowed to pass through with no questions.

This was on 23rd February! What have the Government been thinking during all this time?

Why didn't they isolate more people there instead of doing all this time-consuming contact-tracing afterwards?

I'm not saying we would have avoided the virus altogether but at least it would have delayed it, providing more time to produce more ventilators and for the NHS to plan.

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-20 17:19:20

Apparently still lots of people out in parks etc with children today here in North Lancashire. hmm

suziewoozie Tue 24-Mar-20 18:31:17

But BJ has done/is doing a sterling job - we should all just chill and meet our friends in the nearest park because the rules don’t really apply to us, do they?

Jabberwok Wed 25-Mar-20 10:24:46

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!

Firecracker123 Wed 25-Mar-20 10:35:09

Over 100,000 fined in Italy for flouting the lock down so plenty of idiots in Italy as well.

Fed up with the Boris and anything British bashers.

Dinahmo Wed 25-Mar-20 11:24:55

Funny isn't it - we're seeing the best and worst of Brits. The worst behaviour has already been mentioned but the best - eg 107,000 volunteered by 8.00am today to hep the NHS plus the 12,000 retired NHS staff who have signed up to return to work.

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 11:34:28

The thing is that it's not hindsight. This has been on the cards since 1918. Experts have said it's not if but when we have the next pandemic. There's a documentary in Netflix called Pandemic. Individuals on the web have been forecasting this since January. Bill gates talked about how underprepared the world was in 2015 and highlighted the action that was needed. It's not hindsight but perfectly predictable.

moggie57 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:38:29

have you all noticed that we have beautiful spring days of sunshine.is this because there are NO FUMES ? i think so... am going for a walk up our local woods this afternoon .take some photos of the spring flowers and take some bird food too...

Firecracker123 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:13:30

Yes moggie57 less fumes and you can see the stars in the sky at night.

Dinahmo Thu 26-Mar-20 11:49:26

The UK is definitely a mixed up country. By this morning 500,000 had signed up to volunteer to help the NHS.

Also this morning a group of teenagers spat at an RSPCA officer who was trying to rescue a swan tangled up in fishing lines. They spat in her face, aiming for mouth, eyes and nose, shouting "get corona bitch".

I won't mention what i think should happen to them.

Jabberwok Thu 26-Mar-20 12:04:23

The trouble is that when something is 'on the cards ' from 100 years ago without anything comparable emerging, people and governments get lackadaisical , and are lulled into a false sense of security with potentially disastrous results. None of us can contemplate another war but whose to say!!!
As for the teenagers! My DH thinks they need birching and I find I'm beginning to agree with him.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 12:53:03

I do think we need armed police at the moment or at the least all should carry tasers if some youths are out behaving like that.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Mar-20 22:53:51

Sadly, every country has its share of scumbags and idiots. They get way too much publicity. The upside is that they are always far outweighed by the good people. Look for the helpers.