Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has there been another announcement tonight?

(72 Posts)
Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 17:21:54

Please does anybody know.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 17:37:30

The Update and News have just been on TV. Did you not watch it?

vampirequeen Sun 29-Mar-20 17:58:48

I didn't watch it because I was asleep. I'd be grateful to know what was said.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 18:03:14

The main announcement was that restrictions could last for longer than six months.

The BBC News at 6.35pm will have all the info.

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 19:00:57

No, I didn't watch it, otherwise I wouldn't have asked

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 19:04:30

Ah yes, I see Dr. Jenny now wearing her ring and her watch, great.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 19:07:44

6 months doesn't surprise me at all----just in time for the winter mutated virus ! I wonder what use the 'flu jab will be again !

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 19:09:48

People will go mad making up for lost time with holidays then return just in time to infect everyone for Christmas. Not moaning, just being realistic.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Mar-20 19:25:34

Up to six months but to be reviewed each three weeks according to the BBC site.

MawB Sun 29-Mar-20 20:01:11

What is to be gained by mocking Dr Jenny wearing her ring and her watch (whatever that means) or by speculating about whether or not everybody will “make up for lost time with holidays” - given that a huge percentage of them will not necessarily have a job to go to, will have huge credit card bills or mortgage arrears to pay? Some may even be homeless.
On another thread a member thinks she is showing all the symptoms of Covid19 - now what is more important?
A cheap jibe or caring for people’s present health and economic future?

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 20:04:43

I found it rather disturbing to find the Uk chief expert wearing something we have been told in no uncertain terms not to wear.

I am sure she is doing her best.

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 20:05:32

We have been told that wearing a watch is unhygenic?

MawB Sun 29-Mar-20 20:06:46

Why should we not wear watches or rings?
I can understand health professionals or anybody in close personal contact with the public but nobody has told me not to wear a watch or my rings confused

MawB Sun 29-Mar-20 20:08:52

Unhygienic at work, but surely speaking at a press videoconference is hardly the same thing?

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 20:09:59

www.insider.com/coronavirus-stop-wearing-weddings-rings-watches-experts-say-2020-3

MawB Sun 29-Mar-20 20:24:29

Well mine are on for good -can’t get my wedding ring over my knuckles any more.

suziewoozie Sun 29-Mar-20 20:51:21

What she actually said was that it could be six months before we get back to normal. I watch /listen to the press conferences live or on catch up in full because I simply do not trust any part of MSM or social media to be accurate enough as to what has actually been said. Honestly, it really is worth it. I am increasingly impressed with her - I was thinking today what a burden all these top advisers are bearing and how exhausted they must be getting.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 21:07:01

Greymar, It's not really fair to ask for information if you didn't see the update because some of it could be open to interpretation. Whatever is missed can be picked up in later News bulletins.

Mamissimo Sun 29-Mar-20 21:08:35

I think I would trust Jenny every time as a widely respected medical professional. The Insider is an American internet site that survives by popping tracking bots on your device so that you get lots of ‘tailored advertising’ . It’s about as reliable as The Lads Bible!

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 21:20:11

merlot, sorry I have no idea what you are talking about. I asked if there had been an announcement. I was uncertain, it really is as simple as that.

lemongrove Sun 29-Mar-20 21:25:26

There’s an announcement every day Greymar, didn’t you know that? Watch it on catch up, don’t take anything from SM.

Agreed, Jenny Harris (Harries?) is very calm, professional and impressive.

GrannyLaine Sun 29-Mar-20 21:28:16

I have been very impressed with Jenny Harries at all the briefings in which she has appeared. She gives clear and consistent information and seems unflappable. A safe pair of hands I think.

BradfordLass73 Sun 29-Mar-20 21:40:38

You can always get updates on Covid, here:
www.gov.uk/coronavirus

In order not to promulgate false information and make the situation worse, for yourself and everyone else, try to get information ONLY from websites you know are accurate, authentic and reliable.

All else, including newspaper reports, is dross.

Ellianne Sun 29-Mar-20 21:44:56

I understood it that it would take the UK 6 months to get back to normal, not that lockdown would last for 6 months. Many reports are misconstruing her words. It is my guess there will be a phased re introduction and maybe school children will be allowed out of lockdown first. The older generation may well be left until last! shock

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 21:48:56

There’s an announcement every day Greymar, didn’t you know that?

Yes, I knew, I thought I'd just ask for a laugh.