Gransnet forums

News & politics

Other government news. Life outside of covid

(113 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:16:07

People are concerned as to where Patel is.

She has apparently refuse 4 times to turn up at a government committee to answer to cross party questioning.

Some suggestion that she isn’t in the country, but haven’t been able to verify it

quizqueen Fri 10-Apr-20 13:24:13

Robert Jenrick's excuse for travel was that he was delivering medicine and other essentials to his parents who lived 40 miles away. I thought local chemists delivered prescription stuff free and there would be other local volunteers too to deliver essentials to the vulnerable. Maybe they had other relatives and friends too nearby to help them so that excuse is bumpkin.

Wherever you were living on lockdown day is where you stay. I hope this minister is made to resign .

quizqueen Fri 10-Apr-20 13:33:13

Re Pritti Patel. Whenever Diane Abbot's behaviour was criticised, Labour claimed it was racism. Obviously that doesn't seem to apply in the Home Secretary's case because a) she's Indian b) she's a Tory and c) she lives up her name, so people think they can say what they like about her. Yes, she's the child of immigrants but our country is now FULL.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:37:41

qq Full????

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:50:57

Interesting about Jenrick.

His MPs website says he lives in London and Newark.

The register of MPs interest says that he has a financial interest in a property in Herefordshire.

He stated today that it is his main address.

Ooooh I smell a rat here, or even a porky.

It can’t all be true.

Time to resign Jenrick.

Moving around the country after you exhorted everyone to stay put is a resign-able offence.

To then lie makes it even worse.

suziewoozie Fri 10-Apr-20 14:03:35

He won’t resign I’m sure but some of us have marked his card ?

suziewoozie Fri 10-Apr-20 14:05:53

Oh dear qq like others on the far right you don’t really get racism do you?

vampirequeen Fri 10-Apr-20 14:42:20

Is our country 'FULL'? I went for a walk today. Didn't see a soul.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 14:43:55

I think qq means full of the wrong sort

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 14:55:27

Blimey Oakshott reckons we should extend the brexit transition period.

No no deal then Oakshott? You’ve changed your tune.

suziewoozie Fri 10-Apr-20 15:55:47

But it’s hard to take Oakeshott seriously isn’t it about anything. I put her in a drawer with Piers Morgan - they occasionally say something I agree with but they are unremitting fools.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 15:56:48

She’s besties with Banks and Farage

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 16:16:25

I reckon that the extension will be at least 2 years, because next year will still be chaos with the virus and trying to sort out the economy.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:31:30

Starmer

“ it is quite insulting (for Hancock) to imply that frontline staff are wasting PPE.

There are horrific stories of NHS and care workers not having enough equipment to keep them safe

The government must act to ensure enough supplies are delivered.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:35:00

Reply on twitter from a clinician

“ yes I go out of my way to waste masks, hoods and gowns when they are in such short supply.

Classic blame shifting. Just when I thought the government couldn’t get any lower, it did”

suziewoozie Sat 11-Apr-20 10:46:01

I’ve been giving MH the benefit of the doubt over the last week or two and thought he’d grown up a bit. His comments yesterday implying NHS staff were somehow wasting and misusing PPE shows just how wrong I was. He’s a little shit who is proving incapable of sorting out the PPE fiasco and has decided to blame the victims.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Apr-20 10:46:59

But I’m sure a Tory acolyte will be along in a moment to defend him

GagaJo Sat 11-Apr-20 10:53:16

SW, inevitable!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:57:19

From a nurse

“ I fell a bit broken hearted at ......our Chief Nursing Officer.

Whilst you have the ear of the government, th3 world stage, you forgot us - your front line family of nurses????

Where is our PPE, and why did you forget how many of us died here?”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 08:23:54

The opposition is demanding that parliament is recalled as deaths top 1000 a day.

The government is reaching the time when a decision must be made as to whether the length of lockdown should be primarily to protect the economy or protect lives, The Telegraph is reporting that it is clear there is a split in the cabinet. Between what it characterises as the doves and hawks.

This is the biggest crises the U.K. has faced since the war, and it is clear that the decision when and how lockdown will be decided will be momentous.

Parliament must be recalled.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 08:31:16

Ed Miliband has sent a letter to Sunak, saying that thousands of companies were on the verge of collapse unless there was a bigger commitment from the government.

Government needed to act swiftly said Miliband because businesses were fast running out if cash.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Apr-20 08:46:43

Apparently the government is split regards ending lockdown.

The economic hawks - Rishi Sunak, Pritti Patel, Boris & Gavin Williamson amongst others - want a phased end to the lockdown (? 2nd week in May) to save the economy.

The health doves - Matt Hancock, natch and Michael Gove - want an extended lockdown with a phased return more towards the end of May/early June - to mitigate deaths from the virus and to help the NHS cope.

It’s a balancing act isn’t it? Perhaps we will take cues from other countries who are ahead of us in this pandemic.

Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 08:55:30

Parliament must be recalled. This muddle needs to be examined and it's quite clear that there's so much wrong. NHS staff are dying yet get warned about wasting PPE, this can't continue. Johnson's life was apparently in danger yet there was no deputy with authority to keep going in time of crisis. We need the best people in charge whatever their political persuasion.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 08:55:43

Yes ug if they get it wrong disaster awaits with more deaths.

GagaJo Sun 12-Apr-20 09:01:15

I can’t believe they can think about ending lockdown until we have any kind of grip on the virus. Yes, I understand the damage to the economy, but the nhs is in chaos. 1000 deaths a day!

If we’re opening the country again before any real reduction in deaths we might as well not have bothered in the first place. Herd Immunity plan is clearly still in place.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Apr-20 09:14:36

Yet if they don’t have an exit plan for this lockdown soon GagaJo the economy will tank.

Here in Spain, some non essential workers (construction for example) are going back to work from Tuesday.