Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hypocrite: teacher who reported Cummings

(104 Posts)
Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 10:53:06

Amazing how Robin Lees can report DC for allegedly breaking the CV rules. While in the middle of April, he had driven from his home in Barnard Castle, 250 miles to collect his daughter from another household and bring her back to his household.
What an hypocrite!
Also, the “key witness” who claimed to have seen DM back in Durham 5 days after he had returned to London, has now admitted he was lying.
Hypocrite and Liar!

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 12:49:47

Hmm! So if I take my car for a drive and break the speed limit without hitting anybody or being in an accident, is that OK? Do you think the police would accept the "Cummings excuse" that it's OK if I don't harm anybody?

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 12:53:34

Driving with impaired vision is not a minor infringement. It's an offence under the Road Traffic Act, but I expect Durham Police would have found it impossible to get a conviction in retrospect. Cummings would probably just have changed his story anyway.

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 12:54:53

Even if everybody broke lockdown rules (and apparently 50% did, according to some survey), it really is no excuse either legally or morally.

Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 12:55:33

Yes! MaiseD I know the rules stated that students could opt to change their primary residence, for the purpose of the emergency period to live back at the family home.
They had to decide to do this immediately, as my Granddaughters and their friends did.
But this student, who had been on an extended study trip to Canada, flew back to the UK at the end of March and moved in with her boyfriend, so should have stayed with her boyfriend.
But for some reason or other she change her mind and her Father broke the rules to collect her, travelling 526 to do so.
I’m just laughing at Robin Lees, pot calling the kettle black, hypocrisy.

Anniebach Sun 31-May-20 12:55:45

Perhaps she was scared lemon that her lovers wife would report her

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 12:58:16

maddyone Hypothetically, if somebody witnesses a serious crime, should they keep quiet just because they are covering up something themselves and there's a possibility their own crime will be revealed?

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 13:00:56

What Robin Lees was within the guidelines.

Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 13:05:27

Hello! No it wasn’t growstuff.

Casdon Sun 31-May-20 13:13:04

Two wrongs don’t make a right! The fact remains that the Prime Ministers’s advisor thought he was above the requirements that the government had asked everybody to adhere to, on two occasions, and was unrepentent. Who cares who reported him and what that person had done, it’s completely irrelevant.

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-20 13:17:24

So, if I see a hit and run, I mustn't report it, in case I'm found to be not wearing a seatbelt?

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:20:43

FarNorth
Yes, I did spot that, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t have collected his daughter, although I’m a little confused about the mixing of households. She was apparently self isolating at her boyfriend’s house, after returning from Canada, as I understand it. Isn’t that a mixing of households? Unless there was no one else in the house. To be honest, I don’t really care.
Anyway that isn’t really my point. Had I been Mr Lees I would have kept very quiet because I would have hated to be all over the news. Especially given that I had appeared to have mixed two households.

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:21:30

So to be honest I’m really not convinced that Mr Lee didn’t break the guidelines.

FarNorth Sun 31-May-20 13:21:42

growstuff you would definitely be in for a lesser penalty if you were caught speeding but didn't injure anyone.

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-20 13:22:53

It doesn't make it morally 'less wrong' though.

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:27:02

growstuff? A serious crime should always be reported obviously.

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:28:01

But I haven’t reported anyone for breaking guidelines despite noticing that some have.

Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 13:31:30

MissAdventure your analogy should have been the other way round.
If Mr Lees reported Mr Cummins for driving without a seat belt, after he himself had just carried out a hit and run.
He would not only be a hypocrite but and idiot.
Let’s get this straight, what this pompous prat has done in breaking the rules is much, much worse than what DC is being accused of.

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-20 13:33:40

Really?
I genuinely can't understand that line of thought.

I'm not being deliberately disagreeable, but I just fail to see how it's worse.

FarNorth Sun 31-May-20 13:33:45

As an aside - why was there no thought of Mrs Cummings driving back to London if DC had eyesight problems?

I'm guessing she didn't go back, when he did.
I'm also guessing that she and the child were already in Durham before DC drove there (on his own).
She was probably avoiding the nasty behaviour around their house, mentioned by DC in his address to the nation, while he had to stay there to work.

I thought DC's story sounded like one of those often reported from the local courts - where you can tell that it includes a number of things that are true, but they may not have been connected to each other exactly as described.

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:35:36

And anyway, if these two events occurred at the end of March, as reported, then both broke the guidelines, actually the law. My son did not visit his second home because the law at that time stated that people were not allowed to drive far, his second home is about 40 miles from his main home. He said he would not be able to practice law if he broke the law (not the guidelines note, which were not legislated on.)

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:36:50

We can’t deal in guesses, only facts.

trisher Sun 31-May-20 13:39:18

OK so if I'm a shoplifter and I see someone I know breaking into your house you'd all be happy for me not to report them?
It's pure double standards.
Of course he should have reported seeing Cummings and if Cummings had done the right thing and resigned the whole episode would have been forgotten.

Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 13:44:28

Most people would find that hypocritical though, wouldn’t they?

maddyone Sun 31-May-20 13:49:31

I’m off to make a carrot cake now. My little granddaughter requested I make one for her. Not sure if that breaks the rules or not, but I’ve been baking for my children for a few weeks.

Buffybee Sun 31-May-20 13:56:18

And I’m off to sit in my Daughters garden with the Grandchildren at a distance.
A day early according to the rules.
Hope no-one reports me!