Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump scrapes the bottom of the barrel

(132 Posts)
tidyskatemum Tue 02-Jun-20 22:04:40

I am astounded that no-one has commented on Trump’s crass and cynical photoshoot standing outside the church in Washington and brandishing a bible, having deployed guards using teargas to clear his way there. Not to mention dragging Melania along to the shrine of John Paul II for more photos when neither of them set foot in church from one month to the next. Surely any Christian should be outraged at his manipulation of their religion? Though apparently evangelical Christians think he’s doing a good job.(??????!!!!!)

humptydumpty Wed 03-Jun-20 09:53:54

What's truly shocking is that there are people all over America lapping this up - and it's election year.

spabbygirl Wed 03-Jun-20 09:55:29

he is horrendous and no more christian than Harold shipman, you can go to church as often as you like, but its how you live your life that matters. I so wish he'd start a dialogue with the black lives matters folk and agree how to keep them safe

25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 09:57:50

It reminded me of the old vampire films where the vampires were dispersed by brandishing a Bible aloft in the manner of Trump.

Purplepixie Wed 03-Jun-20 09:59:42

Trump is certainly quite NUTS! What do we have? BORIS! I feel so sorry for my American relatives who hate Trump with a passion.

Yearoff Wed 03-Jun-20 10:00:19

My cousin pointed out he was holding the bible upside down. I’m not entirely sure of the significance of this but my cousin also claims it was deliberate.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 03-Jun-20 10:00:59

Maybe someone will lose the key when he is locked in his special bunker.

Quizzer Wed 03-Jun-20 10:04:40

Sorry marionk. Trump is NOT the bottom of the barrel. He is what crawls around in the muck under the barrel!

Coconut Wed 03-Jun-20 10:05:14

This monster is so dangerous and like many people am asking myself where this will all end with him. Being an atheist I can so see what a hypocrite this womanising, ego manic truly is, standing there waving a bible, the man is so, so sick in the head ..... truly unhinged.

Craftycat Wed 03-Jun-20 10:06:07

The man is a moron. I could not believe it when he won the election. I fear he will win again as he has the support of so many like minded morons.
I don't really understand US politics but DH worked over there for a long time on & off (I stayed here!!) & thinks he still has the support of many Americans as he lowered the taxes.

fluttERBY123 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:08:39

Surreal. Imagine Trump had lost the election, imagine a different president at this time, dealing reasonably with the situation. Imagine a satirical show which in bad taste imagines how Trump might have acted at this time if he had won - looting and shooting, chortle, no mask, giggle, waving a bible smirk, sending in the army....but it's really all happening. Surreal.

Torbroud Wed 03-Jun-20 10:12:48

Thank your lucky stars he's not here running this country, right or wrong, he is what he is, feel sorry for his family, an embarrassment

Tiggersuki Wed 03-Jun-20 10:14:49

paddyanne I didn't think he'd win the last election but the Americans are hard to understand at times.
Last couple of visits to the States we have had people apologise for their president saying they did not vote for him but many did.
Why can't he show any empathy with his people? So narcissistic.
The current situation is very very sad there with people disobeying curfews etc but so frustrated they cannot cope.
Bad enough here with our government mistakes but so much worse there.
Even without Coronovirus problems we currently would think twice about visiting their beautiful country again.

Jaycee5 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:19:31

Trump wants civil war. People tend to vote for incumbent leaders at time of war.
His phone call with Governors is worse. He is stoking up trouble and division.
Much of the militaristic equipment the US police use is bought from the UK. Dawn Butler is trying to persuade our government to stop selling it to the US. It includes tear gas, rubber bullets and riot shields. Hopefully they will listen.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 03-Jun-20 10:22:01

This man has gone beyond scraping the barrel. He is now inhabiting the grim and grimy realms that lie beyond the bottom of the barrel. I have American friends who are in despair. I keep a journal and during 2016 I remember writing that if elected, trump would cause so much harm not just to the USA but to the rest of the world.

Elegran Wed 03-Jun-20 10:24:18

Coconut It is not necessary to be an atheist to see that Trump is a dangerous hypocrite. I have heard several committed and genuine Christians say that he has no idea what values a truly religious man should have.

I am not even sure that it is hypocrisy - for that he would have to really believe one thing but act in another way entirel. I suspect that he does genuinely believe in that tiny lump of little greyish cells that he calls a mind that his actions and statements are in perfect accord with Jesus' teachings.

rowyn Wed 03-Jun-20 10:30:04

I think the most terrifying thing is that the people of America voted him into power. What does that say about them?

CarlyD7 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:39:10

Why did Trump win the US election? My guess would be that he had Russian help (with both propoganda beforehand plus that pesky online voting system will have given them a golden opportunity to "tweak" the votes). Why would Russia help him (and why would he accept that help)? Because he's in hoc to Russian banks who were the only banks who would stop him going bankrupt (when USA banks had given up on him after bailing him out 3 times). And who tells Russian banks what to do? Putin. And what does Putin want - chaos in the West. (In fact, it was probably Putin's idea for him to run for president). So he now has an American president in his pocket, and Trump knows that whatever he does, he will be re-elected. He can't be too crass, too stupid, too inflammatory, too hypocritical - because he already is.

CarlyD7 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:39:51

Personally, I'm amazed that bible didn't burst into flames !

JaneRn Wed 03-Jun-20 10:41:04

It is easy to dismiss Trump as a moron. He is, but more to the point he is a dangerous moron who seems to be totally out of control. This is the man who has his finger on the nuclear button and unless someone can restrain him we could find ourselves in World War 3., yet it is more than likely that he will be re-elected. Think about it!

The thing that surprises me most about presidential elections is the very poor quality of the candidates who aspire to be leader of the free world, which is how the USA sees it self. Could they really not find someone out of an electorate of 300 million or so who was better than Trump whose faults were obvious from the start, and lets face it apart from the moral issues Jo Biden is a complete nonentity although even he has been accused of sexual misdemeanors -but then, so was JFK. I have heard it said that a lot of Americans have no concept of or interest in the world beyond their own state, which might throw some light on the problem.

Esmerelda Wed 03-Jun-20 10:42:47

The following quote says it all ...
"This is an awful man, waving a book he hasn’t read, in front of a church he doesn’t attend, invoking laws he doesn’t understand, against fellow Americans he sees as enemies, wielding a military he dodged serving in, to protect power he gained via accepting foreign interference, exploiting fear and anger he loves to stoke, after failing to address a pandemic he was warned about, and building it all on a bed of constant lies and childish inanity.”
-- Robert Hendrickson, Rector at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in Tucson, Arizona

helgawills Wed 03-Jun-20 10:43:45

So called American Christians are White Supremacists in disguise, would not allow Jesus into the country nowadays. What concerns me greatly, is that Boris is doing behind the scenes secret deals with that moron. Sadly, Boris's speeches don't show any empathy, compassion, emotions, just a series of bumbling slogans. Is he really so different?

Elegran Wed 03-Jun-20 11:07:12

Not all of them Helga, but many do seem to believe that God's priorities are identical with those of white American capitalists.

Musicgirl Wed 03-Jun-20 11:08:31

I am a practicing Christian and have an older American friend who has lived in the UK for years and, although she thinks she is more English than the English is still extremely American. She won't have a word spoken against Donald Trump (she does NOT like my views on the dreadful man). She once told me it was God's will that he was elected as the Christians voted for him. You couldn't make it up.

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Jun-20 11:11:55

That is a great quite Esmeralda

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Jun-20 11:12:10