Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sock and Awe

(55 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:05:12

Apparently the government is worried that Brexiters are not understanding the hit that the U.K. will receive post brexit in January and are going to start a series of adverts beginning in July to try and alter (nudge) the sunny uplands mentality towards the fact that things will be extremely rocky.

They are also worried that business is not preparing itself.

Personally I think they have enough on their plates with covid.

shock and awe it is called.

Are we at war then?

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 14:01:54

Witzend

I thought this was going to be about the 67 odd socks you’ve accumulated, while waiting for their other halves to turn up.

Haha me too Witzend ?
It’s a good idea to remind the general public ( especially those who take no interest at all in politics or current affairs) that our economy has taken a big hit due to Covid19 and that having left the EU we will be making our own trade arrangements ( unless we do well in negotiations.) There are probably many things that were in the manifesto that won’t now be possible for a long time.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 14:32:28

Have you succumbed to believing in Project Fear?

Sod Dominic Cummings! Everybody who voted to remain should be given a job as a government soothsayer!

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 14:41:32

growstuff

Have you succumbed to believing in Project Fear?

Sod Dominic Cummings! Everybody who voted to remain should be given a job as a government soothsayer!

Are you talkin’ to me?!?
If so, of course not but it’s obvious to anyone with a brain that Covid19 has wiped out much of the government spending power that the manifesto promised.This year wasn’t something anyone could have predicted.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 14:56:20

Cummings claimed he did. He's an oracle, didn't you know?

The Bank of England has this morning pumped another £100bn into Quantitative Easing.

The government does still have spending power and it will be a huge disaster if it doesn't use it. It's going to have to use even more after Brexit, which could have been predicted, as most people with brains did predict.