Gransnet forums

News & politics

This inept government want us to do our patriotic duty.

(33 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 25-Jun-20 21:20:39

The govt (aka B Johnson & Cummings) want us to go out to pubs and celebrate the end of "our long national hibernation" . It's our "patriotic duty".

2 pint glasses (or possibly 1 litre) are to be introduced so that trips to the bar won't be quite so frequent. Are the loos going to open? How can people keep 1 metre apart in confined spaces, especially the mens' loos. But they can pee in the bushes. Imagine walking the dog past a pub garden in the morning.

I suspect BJ and DC think that if they keep providing little treats, we'll soon forget what has happened. The fact is, 65,700 people have died and they were friends, family, neighbours and colleagues and they will be missed.

This inept government are solely responsible for this. No doubt some of you will point to silly people not obeying the rules, which weren't particularly clear in the first place.

However, the govt are the ones setting the agenda and who are responsible for telling the various agencies what to do and to ensure that they have the means to do this. The govt have fallen short in many respects. their failures have been listed elsewhere on this site so I don't need to repeat them.

Some people will say that many of those who died had underlying health conditions. But most people with long term illnesses take regular medication which controls their disease. A study back in April (from Glasgow University) said that most people who died of covid could have had another 10 years or so life left to them.

The govt have an 80 seat majority so the opposition can do little. Perhaps it's time to contact your local MP to let you views be heard. I'm a Labour supporter and there's not much that those of us on the left can do. But those of you with decent Tory MPs can do something so that when Johnson loses interest, or is kicked out, we can have an honourable PM - plus the benefit of losing DC and with a bit of luck, most of the Cabinet.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jun-20 21:28:40

I shall own up straight away I come from a family of Pub Owners, we have close family friends who are still pub/restaurant owners. To get a Covid-19 safety certificate which enables an establishment to open is not easy.

Pub culture will be distinctly different for the foreseeable future.

Grany Thu 25-Jun-20 21:48:41

RCN director Susan Masters said "testing of health and care workers and the people they are caring for has to be a priority".

Some 331 Conservative MPs opposed a motion that would have led to weekly testing of NHS workers and care staff last night.

Davidhs Thu 25-Jun-20 21:54:36

As we have seen on the beaches and BLM social distancing is dead when pubs open it will be the same.

Patriotic duty - another of BJs Stupid catch phrases. “Patriotism, the last refuge of a scoundrell” fits quite well.

ladymuck Thu 25-Jun-20 21:55:04

What utter nonsense to blame the government for what is happening. This is a typical example of people not taking responsibility for themselves. I'm amazed you haven't blamed Brexit!
Be fair. How many governments have had to deal with a pandemic such as this? Of course mistakes have been made and I'm sure lessons will be learned, should it happen again (which I'm sure it will).
We know the risks and how to lessen our chances of catching the virus. They should let us take responsibility for our own safety, but too many people can't think for themselves and need someone to hold their hand.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 22:57:55

Every single government in the world has had to deal with the pandemic.

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jun-20 23:04:34

And many ( if not most) have done so far better than ours ( low bar however)

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jun-20 23:08:12

One of the responsibilities of governments is to protect us from the bad behaviour of others - a whole raft of legislation exists for that purpose. If Governments abdicate that responsibility, who then protects the innocent, the well behaved, the vulnerable?

Dinahmo Thu 25-Jun-20 23:09:22

ladymuck

What utter nonsense to blame the government for what is happening. This is a typical example of people not taking responsibility for themselves. I'm amazed you haven't blamed Brexit!
Be fair. How many governments have had to deal with a pandemic such as this? Of course mistakes have been made and I'm sure lessons will be learned, should it happen again (which I'm sure it will).
We know the risks and how to lessen our chances of catching the virus. They should let us take responsibility for our own safety, but too many people can't think for themselves and need someone to hold their hand.

I think perhaps you've misunderstood me. I.m not blaming the govt for people getting pissed. nor for the people crowding on to the beaches today. What I am blaming them for is the way in which they've handled the crisis. At the height of the crisis the vast majority were behaving sensibly and the people working on the front line and those in care homes who died are not to blame for getting the virus.

quizqueen Fri 26-Jun-20 00:25:26

Well said, ladymuck. As sure as houses is houses, we will all die sometime but I expect that will Boris or Brexit's fault too.

growstuff Fri 26-Jun-20 00:47:04

Personally, I'd rather hang for quite a few years. The government's handling of the situation has been a disgrace. There have been unnecessary deaths and there will be more to come. The country needs leadership, not a narcissistic clown.

vegansrock Fri 26-Jun-20 02:18:55

Even before our government decided to bother to lockdown, people could see what was happening and many started to work from home, stocking up supplies, avoiding crowds etc. In the the first few weeks the stay home message was largely observed - there was hardly any traffic and city streets were empty. However it was the government’s mixed messages starting with the defence of Cummings where many people gave up. The government are responsible, its their job to keep the country safe. Lack of ppe, sending sick people back to care homes, not bothering to make face coverings compulsory, the test n trace fiasco, lack of clear guidance, has all contributed to the appalling high death toll.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Jun-20 06:40:57

Grany the testing thing totally passed me by. I don’t understand why they voted that way. Was it because the tests are imperfect perhaps?
I know that Ocado delivery drivers are tested weekly...

Summerlove Fri 26-Jun-20 19:11:31

vegansrock

Even before our government decided to bother to lockdown, people could see what was happening and many started to work from home, stocking up supplies, avoiding crowds etc. In the the first few weeks the stay home message was largely observed - there was hardly any traffic and city streets were empty. However it was the government’s mixed messages starting with the defence of Cummings where many people gave up. The government are responsible, its their job to keep the country safe. Lack of ppe, sending sick people back to care homes, not bothering to make face coverings compulsory, the test n trace fiasco, lack of clear guidance, has all contributed to the appalling high death toll.

Don’t try to logic it out.

Some people refuse to criticise as their team won and can do no wrong

Dinahmo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:25:00

Summerlove That's what gets me. Why can't those whose team won see what is wrong? So many wrongdoings and yet they just accept it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:19:33

I wish I could be as patriotic as Mogg.

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s Company Accounts show c£103M profit over last 5 years, but paid ZERO UK corporation tax as ultimate ownership in Cayman Islands.
No contribution for schools, hospitals, roads, defence, public services, welfare etc. No wonder he is keen to avoid new EU tax laws.

Kalu Sat 27-Jun-20 17:35:45

Ah yes, Whitewave yet he still fervently follows his faith. Blessed are the poor? Or did he miss that section?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:48:33

Completely missed it I think kalu

varian Sat 27-Jun-20 18:15:33

What would you say to Mogg if you were his priest and he came to confession?

Someone has to tell him the truth surely?

Is his so-called Catholic Faith just another lie?

growstuff Sat 27-Jun-20 19:14:58

Dinahmo

Summerlove That's what gets me. Why can't those whose team won see what is wrong? So many wrongdoings and yet they just accept it.

Granite mountains.

Janpt Sun 28-Jun-20 13:30:05

Well said Ladymuck. All the Labour party ever do is blame the government for everything. Why not blame the morons seen on Bournemouth beach for increasing the risk of spreading the virus ?

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 19:46:23

Janpt

Well said Ladymuck. All the Labour party ever do is blame the government for everything. Why not blame the morons seen on Bournemouth beach for increasing the risk of spreading the virus ?

Why not blame the moron who encouraged them to go? The one who told the MP for Brighton and Hove to have some guts and support people enjoying themselves? The one who told people to take it on the chin and boasted that he'd been shaking hands with infected people? The moron who supported his advisor when he broke the rules?

grannyrebel7 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:56:16

The rot set in when Cummings broke the lockdown. This government haven't been clear on anything. They had the arrogance not to follow the strict lockdown rules that Italy and France followed and look where we are today. Patriotic duty! Don't make me laugh!

Janpt Tue 30-Jun-20 11:06:24

growstuff What about Corbyn and the rest of the Marxist morons ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:15:00

I would love to be as patriotic as Patel and her husband.

Her husband is claim £25000 a year from us as he reckons he runs Patel’s private office. He also has a full time job and is a local councillor. No doubt he claims various expenses from that little number as well.

Nice work if you can get it.