Gransnet forums

News & politics

Institutional racism in the police?

(569 Posts)
trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 09:31:51

The news about the murdered sisters in London, the police's first lack of action then the photographs taken at the scene must have shocked everyone. The dignified and measured interview their mother has given couldn't fail to impress. So is she right can these photographs be compared with those taken at lynchings in the US? And is this the real proof that there is still racism in the police?

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 13:31:34

I suspect that 2 black women partying in a London park were viewed as of little consequence are you saying that this disgusting behaviour from the police who were involved, did this as an act of racism trisher?

Is there any evidence whatsoever that this is a racial crime and that the arse holes involved wouldn't behaved so appallingly if the poor victims had been white?

Is everything now to be considered racist whether or not that's the case?

Anniebach Sat 27-Jun-20 13:53:55

no police officer would trot off to a park where there was a party because a 45 year old woman wasn’t answering her phone. Fact.

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 14:03:48

No, they wouldn't of course Anniebach .

maddyone Sat 27-Jun-20 14:20:32

I agree Annie and Callistemon
It would seem to me to be very unlikely that a huge search would be instigated for adult women until a few days had passed. Police would not search for adults immediately unless they were vulnerable. However that does not excuse the actions of those two police officers, and clearly they should, and are, being dealt with, and should never serve as police officers again.

Nonetheless the focus of the police must now be to find the murderer. Such a heinous crime needs the full weight of the law behind the investigation. Apparently they were stabbed multiple times, but there were two people murdered. That raises the question, was more than one person involved in the murders?

My sympathies lie with the mother. To lose two children, however old, will bring a grief that will never heal.

trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 14:37:35

The two women were left in the park after the party ended, they were then not heard from or contactable for 36 hours before the family found the bodies. Two women last seen in an open area and no officer could be spared to simply walk through the park? And yes I do think the fact that they were black was probably influential. I suspect two white women last seen in a park on Friday evening would have been more of an issue.

Ilovecheese Sat 27-Jun-20 14:39:06

In my paper today it says they left the party on 5th, not 6th.

Washerwoman Sat 27-Jun-20 14:40:50

Any racism in the police needs stamping out.Fact.However I'm getting heartily sick of the constant negativity towards police officers in general .Having SIL who spent 5 years voluntarily going out at all hours as a special and is now a member of the force in a tough ,inner city area never knowing what they are walking into with gun,knife and drug crime,suicides you name it how many of us would want to deal with some of the stuff they see.Of course I'm biased.He is family.But he's a lovely lad who genuinely wants to make a difference.Sorry I'm just feeling a bit p**d off today,and wonder what the families of officers dead and injured in the line of duty must feel when the police seem to be arch enemy number one to some people.Every profession has it's rotten apples,or incompetents.I worked with a fair few in my time.

Elderflower2 Sat 27-Jun-20 14:41:43

The world is full of isms.

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 14:45:11

trisher

The two women were left in the park after the party ended, they were then not heard from or contactable for 36 hours before the family found the bodies. Two women last seen in an open area and no officer could be spared to simply walk through the park? And yes I do think the fact that they were black was probably influential. I suspect two white women last seen in a park on Friday evening would have been more of an issue.

Probably not, it's a a small town park, it's over 250 acres of country park.

And I doubt very much if that would happen, so are you turning this into a racist issue?

Two adults not contactable by their parents; has it never happened to anyone else?

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 14:45:35

not a small town park

ladymuck Sat 27-Jun-20 14:54:53

Is this an indication of the calibre of police recruits these days? Don't they have to undergo some sort of character assessment? Are the police really so desperate that they are accepting young men of this sort?

trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 14:57:46

Washerwoman I would have thought any element of racism in the police would undermine confidence and that would make it harder for conscientious police officers to do their job successfully.
Callistemon Yes I think two white women last seen in a park late at night and not heard from for 36 hours would have been treated more seriously. And remember it wasn't the police that found the bodies it was the family. So no action after 36 hours.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 15:00:05

There seems to be 2 issues here:

The response of the police force regarding the initial reports that they hadn't come home from their party in the park, seems to be in line with usual police practice. These were 2 adults out at a party, not minors, and it wouldn't have been unreasonable to think that they had gone on to another event elsewhere. No one could have foreseen that they had come to harm, there was no reason to believe that they had. I do not believe that the police acted any differently in this case than any other.

The actions of the 2 police officers who took photographs of the 2 sisters is a different matter and, in itself, was a horrible and unforgivable act. It's difficult to conclude that racism didn't play a part in their actions.

SueDonim Sat 27-Jun-20 15:08:04

I agree with Sodapop, this case is very strange. These poor women were seemingly murdered by a stranger but there has been no general warning for the public to be aware of their own safety?

The party they held was small, just ten people, not a mass gathering and it was in a popular part of the park. I’d have thought that two women missing for 24hrs at the same time in the same place should have raised flags, especially at this time when so many people were staying at home so places are relatively quiet. I’ve read that it was the boyfriend of one of the women who found both bodies and the murder weapon.

As for the selfies. It’s unspeakable. What on earth goes through their heads? Is it some sort of day out at the funfair for them? angry

Mrs Smallman is just so incredibly dignified. I don’t know how she retains her composure.

Anniebach Sat 27-Jun-20 15:21:32

Some will see racism everywhere and in everyone, this will feed racism not starve it.

trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 15:29:12

Racism is fed by peole who fail to recognise or act when they see it.

phoenix Sat 27-Jun-20 15:34:51

Their mother's account was eloquent, considered and very touching.

If I could post a link to it, I would.

All praise to that woman for her composure.

On the other hand, the fact that family members visiting the site found the actual murder weapon, is disgusting angry

Why on earth didn't the police search the area? Perhaps they didn't think it mattered, and would rather take "selfies" with the dead women!

Shame, shame, shame!

They deserve to be publicly named and shamed, expelled from the force with no compensation/payoff whatsoever!

Anniebach Sat 27-Jun-20 16:33:59

Racism is fed by those who want to claim the police not turning out to search for a woman age 45 at a party and didn’t
answer her telephone - were racist , choosing not to acknowledge the police do not turn out when a woman at a party isn’t answering her phone.

welbeck Sat 27-Jun-20 16:44:13

apparently a member of the public saw one ? two of the bodies on the saturday, so about 12 hrs after they were last heard from, but did not approach and assumed it was people dozing.
this is not uncommon in open land.
this was after their relatives had reported them missing.
the crime was not discovered until 24 hrs later, about 1pm on the sunday.
just think of the evidence that might have been lost in the interim. police eventually found one of their mobile phones in a pond some time later.
it was not a large gathering, or disorderly/drunken. it was a birthday party for the older sister, Bibaa who was a senior social worker. they were both responsible people with regular lives and habits.
the passing woman who first glimpsed the bodies had no reason to report it at the time.
if at least a police person had been walking about, asking people if they'd been there the night before, had seen or heard anything, anyone suspicious about...
and it does not seem to have had the coverage normal in such cases. in fact this case is most unusual.
police know it was an unknown killer, who would have injuries. maybe someone saw something that could have been relevant, but as time passes, and without much publicity, the best chance is gone. RIP Bibaa and Nicole.

trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 16:46:26

Annie most are way past just telephoning. These women were not in contact on social media and were last seen in an exposed area. There was no indication that they ever left that area. The party had finished. This was a very close family. Could you try informing yourself of the real facts before you post again. It was 36 hours after the party that the bodies were found-but not by the police.

AGAA4 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:55:07

The action of those two police officers was absolutely disgusting and I am sure they will be dealt with accordingly.

Those who bring racism into this is not right as we can't know that was an issue and it shouldn't reflect on the whole of the police force.

Nobody seems very concerned that there is a murderer of two women out there. That is something to be very worried about.

Police numbers are low and they would not have gone looking for 2 grown women immediately as most adults will turn up later.

Anniebach Sat 27-Jun-20 17:20:50

Was the woman who claims to have seen the bodies but thought they were sleeping so didn’t report it, racist ?

trisher you know most people are way past phoning to report a missing person? you need the facts before posting
again.

The figures released by the Met, 55000 reported missing a year

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 17:28:39

From www.missingpeople.org.uk

The circumstances surrounding a disappearance can differ greatly and so too can the role of the police in a missing persons investigation. There could be any number of reasons behind a disappearance which is why you should contact the police straight away if you are at all concerned about the safety and wellbeing of the person who has disappeared.

To do this, you can contact your local police station in person or by phone. You can report to your own local police station even if the missing person lives in another part of the UK. You can make a report to the police immediately – you do NOT have to wait until 24 hours after a disappearance. In an emergency you can contact 999.

Once you have made a report, what the police do will depend on the circumstances of the disappearance and how much they consider the missing person to be at risk. They will assess the level of risk by considering the missing person’s age, the circumstances of their disappearance, whether this is out of character, and whether they need medication or treatment.

trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 17:50:01

I was thinking that the mother is a confirmed Christian so perhaps would have been more worried on the Sunday morning when her daughters didn't contact her or perhaps go to church and that is why they began their own search.
The mother is amazing.

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 17:51:51

It is strange, SueDonim. Did the others go home and leave them there and they were just enjoying a bit longer there together? Then some random stranger who just happened to be carrying a knife came upon two older women and killed them?

The fact that one was a senior social worker rings an alarm bell with me too.

As I pointed out above, it's not a municipal park, its hundreds of acres of countryside.

That poor family, it is devastating.
RIP Nicole and Bibaa