Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone else think Boris is still ill?

(136 Posts)
Sparklefizz Thu 09-Jul-20 09:47:08

Many people who have suffered Covid-19 badly are going on to suffer ME/CFS. I am an ME sufferer myself, and mine developed from a nasty virus 30 years ago. My husband and I both caught it - he got better and I never did.

Anyway ..... looking at Boris slumped next to Rishi Sunak yesterday - well, I thought Boris looked shattered, haggard and unwell, whereas Rishi looked full of vigour. Boris has returned to work because he has had to, but it's my opinion he is still far from well.

Anyone agree (whether you approve of him or not?)

Rosalyn69 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:52:09

He looks poorly to me. He’s lost a bit of his “gung-ho”

Dinahmo Thu 09-Jul-20 11:53:56

Personally I think he should resign through ill health. That way we'd get rid of Cummings too. I suspect that being PM has not turned out as he expected.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 12:00:31

I'm not sure we would get rid of Cummings if BoJo was to resign. I think BoJo is probably the best of a bad lot.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Jul-20 12:00:46

Dinahmo.

No,I don’t suppose he did expect being PM would turn out the way it has.

He could hardly have visualised a global pandemic, and neither could anyone else.

Bet Theresa May, David Cameron, Tony Blair et al are all thanking their lucky stars it didn’t happen on their watch.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 12:04:23

If he is still ill, you’d think he’d take the continuing rates of infection more seriously wouldn’t you?

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 12:10:42

I saw footage of him in the hospital,

Where did you see that, maddyone?

I don't recall seeing any at the time.

As Cummings is running the whole show I expect whether or not Johnson is well enough is completely irrelevant.

I say keep him in post as long as possible though, he's doing a splendid job of killing off lots of his voters and p*ssing off a whole load more.

and anyone who tells me off for 'not nice' sentiments gets reported for derailing the thread and making personal comments

Davidhs Thu 09-Jul-20 12:21:06

BJ certainly is looking haggard it’s partly because of the illness but also because of the enormity of Covid 19 on top of Brexit.
Both issues that he cannot win, he was a very flaky politician before, now it’s really a struggle to keep a brave face at all.

Sunak is the only one that looks confident in what he is doing the rest are playing catch-up as well. When BJ resigns, he will use illness as the reason no doubt, in reality he can’t stand the pressure. I would not want to choose a replacement PM from the current crop, he will use illness as the reason no doubt, in reality he can’t stand the pressure.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jul-20 12:45:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Jul-20 12:55:38

But there were people that were warning that a pandemic was expected. Operation Cygnet (?) warned us of it. The government did not take it seriously.

brigid18 Thu 09-Jul-20 12:59:31

Totally agree

Toadinthehole Thu 09-Jul-20 13:02:24

Thank you Sparkle, she’s doing very well...on her second pregnancy, but worked hard in the early years with the 80% exercise rule, which you’re probably familiar with. With my daughter....they think it was a combination of having had a virus...and then a general anaesthetic. A cure would be wonderful ?.

maddyone Thu 09-Jul-20 13:07:15

Maizie
It was tv news, but can’t remember which channel. It was a while ago.

tickingbird Thu 09-Jul-20 13:14:06

Boris was extremely ill. They don’t move patients into intensive care for nothing and it wasn’t made up for sympathy. He tried to carry on working for too long before being admitted to hospital. Regardless of which side of the political spectrum anyone stands they can’t deny the man has been seriously ill. He looks drained and if he was my son or partner I’d be worried.

maddyone Thu 09-Jul-20 13:17:28

We’ve been warned for years that a pandemic might be on its way, because it’s such a long time since the Spanish Flu pandemic. I don’t think any governments really prepared for such an event. I’m not excusing them, just stating what appears to be the case. Maybe it’s given the whole world a necessary wake up call. We all probably need it. I’m not excusing our government, I’ve criticised the management of Covid19 often enough, but I agree that Theresa May, David Cameron, Jeremy Corbyn, and Keir Starmer are probably all truly thankful that they are not in charge at the moment.

maddyone Thu 09-Jul-20 13:20:21

Quite tickingbird I saw him in intensive care with the plastic things used to force oxygen into the patient, I don’t know the medical term. It was tv news. Hospital staff do not lie.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 13:22:54

Lucca

Begs the question should he have handed over the reins to someone else even if temporarily ?

I think he should.
Soldiering on when you are not properly recovered is not a good idea at all.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 13:24:23

Callistemon

Lucca

Begs the question should he have handed over the reins to someone else even if temporarily ?

I think he should.
Soldiering on when you are not properly recovered is not a good idea at all.

A proper politician, not an unelected dictator
Iykwim

Sparklefizz Thu 09-Jul-20 13:32:42

Toad I am pleased to hear that your daughter is now doing well. Yes, I used to have dreams that a cure had been found. If only .......

Iam64 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:13:08

Yes, Mr Johnson does look ill. His rumpled, bumbling, stumbling persona isn't disguising the fact that he looks and sometimes sounds, exhausted.
I'm disappointed (understatement) with the government's management of the covid crisis. Rishi Sunak seems the brightest and most competent of a poor front bench.

I can't help but feel some sympathy for Mr Johnson. I expect he felt he had to return to work. His admiration for Churchill probably influenced that decision. He sees himself as a a strong leader. He looks like someone who needs to convalesce. To take a month off at Chequers, to rest and recuperate. At the end of the first month, a second and possibly a third month would be recommended, then a gradual return to part time work. Probably in a less stressful post than the patient previously held.
Posters on this thread who have direct experience of post viral syndromes know that's the only way to begin to recover. What a mess.

JenniferEccles Thu 09-Jul-20 14:27:44

Although I share some of the concerns voiced on here I wonder if we are expecting too much of him?

We know how seriously ill he was so he’s bound to be a bit below par still.

I think he definitely did come back to work too soon but what was the alternative?

If he had taken a prolonged convalescence that would have caused many comments claiming he wasn’t up to the top job.

Having said that some on here have mentioned how slumped in the seat he looked and I agree but then doesn’t he always look like that?

I can’t remember seeing him sitting bolt upright with a straight back - it’s just not him is it?

Fennel Thu 09-Jul-20 15:04:30

Another stressful thing is the fact that they've got a new baby, we all know how tiring that is - if he's still living with them.
Even though I can't stand his politics you have to feel sorry for him as a human being, trying to keep going against great odds.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Jul-20 15:08:38

Mentally ill.... yes
What has having a new baby got to do with it he didn’t exactly care for the ones that have gone before and As he was having an affair when his wife was fighting cancer doesn’t have too good a record for a kind heart either So no I don’t feel sorry for him he s not up to the job but is to arrogant to let go

lemongrove Thu 09-Jul-20 15:10:39

JenniferEccles

Although I share some of the concerns voiced on here I wonder if we are expecting too much of him?

We know how seriously ill he was so he’s bound to be a bit below par still.

I think he definitely did come back to work too soon but what was the alternative?

If he had taken a prolonged convalescence that would have caused many comments claiming he wasn’t up to the top job.

Having said that some on here have mentioned how slumped in the seat he looked and I agree but then doesn’t he always look like that?

I can’t remember seeing him sitting bolt upright with a straight back - it’s just not him is it?

I could have written this post Jennifer ?
Indeed he does always slump, and he likes to move arms and legs about, he doesn’t seem to like sitting still.
There is the Summer recess coming along soon now ( if it’s not here already) so he has time to recuperate.
He can also delegate as much as he needs to.

Bumboseat1 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:19:51

I’ve noticed watching Boris on the television he doesn’t look all that well , he was very ill and I don’t think he has made a full recovery. Hopefully in a few weeks time he will look and feel better , we shall see.

Davidhs Thu 09-Jul-20 15:33:45

“I don’t feel sorry for him he s not up to the job but is to arrogant to let go”

Nobody is pushing him, yet, the time will come and they won’t have to push very hard.