Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris is up in Scotland today ???????

(136 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 23-Jul-20 10:29:57

“Speaking ahead of the visit, Mr Johnson said: 'When I stood on the steps of Downing Street one year ago, I pledged to be a Prime Minister for every corner of the United Kingdom.

'Whether you are from East Kilbride or Dumfries, Motherwell or Paisley, I promised to level up across Britain and close the opportunity gap.

'The last six months have shown exactly why the historic and heartfelt bond that ties the four nations of our country together is so important and the sheer might of our union has been proven once again.'”

Will his visit be a success or is the SNP too close now to going it alone?

vegansrock Fri 24-Jul-20 10:39:11

It’s insulting to suggest a few hours in Orkney for a photo op is “visiting Scotland”. I guess a trip to the Farne Islands and a picture with some Puffins would be the same as visiting the whole of England.

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-20 11:49:39

Maybe he is afraid Orcadians will secede from both the UK and Scotland and become part of Norway again.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:51:13

Elegran grin

GillT57 Fri 24-Jul-20 12:58:18

"The man can't do anything right in some people's eyes", absolutely agree with you. He is a charlatan,a liar and all the things some of us have been pointing out for a long time. Getting back to the OP, that was an interesting point about not wishing to be responsible for breaking up the Union, but allowing it to happen through the 'will of the people', he is not keen on taking responsibility for anything of course.

paddyanne Fri 24-Jul-20 14:04:39

1955 ..That was the LAST time Scotland voted for a Tory majority .You dont think its a very strange kind of democracy that has seen us landed with Tory governments for decades since then? We are NOT in a union! This is not a democracy I dont remember England having to ask for permission to drag us all out of the EU when both NI and Scotland wanted to remain .Its one rule for them and another for the rest of us

paddyanne Fri 24-Jul-20 14:13:32

Actualy growstuff they are shitting themselves at the thought they might lose all that lovely money that has financed WM's projects for decades WHEN Scotland gains independence .Lets face it they're not interested in Scotland for any other reason! Its not our charm and good looks as Frankie Boyle says ,they're worried about the cash....if we leave it leaves with us

growstuff Fri 24-Jul-20 14:51:53

I heard that the men of Orkney hid their wives and locked up their fridges for the day.

I couldn't possibly say if that's true.

GillT57 Fri 24-Jul-20 17:27:46

Yes but Paddyanne the same could be said about many areas. Where I live, more people voted against the incumbent Tory than for him, so we too are not represented surely? More people did not vote for Brexit than did, but here we are up to our necks in it. The 2015 Election is a case in point: Tories won but:
UKIP got 3,881,099 votes (12.6%) and 1 seat while SNP got 1,454,436 votes and 56 seats
I am no fan of UKIP, but perhaps you ought to have a rethink about shouting about how unfair it all is? What about the millions of people who voted for UKIP and ended up with no parliamentary representation?

varian Fri 24-Jul-20 18:29:57

As a LibDem, I have to say that I agree, Gill. The only thing I ever agreed with UKIP about was the need for electoral reform.

carnation Sat 25-Jul-20 21:44:55

Agree with you totally.