Gransnet forums

News & politics

Response to new covid measures - old v young; left v right

(108 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 31-Jul-20 16:04:32

The back lash against confinement seems to be turning into a cause for the right wing and libertarians.

Apparently in Germany this weekend there will be demonstrations against restrictions that have been introduced in order to stem the tide of corona virus. Various groups including anti vaxxers, holocaust deniers, conspiracy theorists and the far right NPD are expected to attend the demo in Berlin.

From my reading of many of the threads on here it does seem as though those opposed to the introduction of new measures tend to be from the right of centre.

in France there has been an increase in the numbers testing positive for covid. In the week to 26 July around 440,000 people were tested and 51% of those showed no symptoms. Of the remainder testing positive 69% were in the age group 15 -44 and of those, the majority were between 20 and 25. That last group, it would seem, are the ones who are most likely to gather at pubs, raves and other open air gatherings.

I fully understand that they want to go out and enjoy themselves whilst for many of us oldies who haven't been directly affected aren't so concerned about joining large gatherings.

However the young don't seem to understand that because they don't get as sick as older people, it's still going to affect those around them. They could unwittingly pass it on to more vulnerable people, including some young people. furthermore we don't yet know all the long term effects of this virus.

Dinahmo Fri 31-Jul-20 19:31:28

geekesse I think that like many people of other generations, young people can be kind and caring - but only to those they know.

We had neighbours in Suffolk (our age) who were Tories and supporters of MT. She, who was an extremely kind person to those she knew, was opposed to the NHS and also benefits. Her caring did not extend to the wider public.

Iam64 Fri 31-Jul-20 19:50:06

maddyone - probably because many members of the extended family arrived last night to celebrate Eid. We need to remember that the new regulations were announced on twitter at about 9.17 pm. Imagine if on Christmas Eve a similar announcement was made. Effectively cancelling Christmas.

I've no problem with the new lockdown. I find it difficult to believe that the news that this weekend coincides with Eid celebrations alongside an increase in the virus amongst young people from various communities, including Bangladeshi and Pakistani.

lemongrove Fri 31-Jul-20 20:01:35

I am as puzzled as maddy as Eid or no Eid, there should certainly not be eight cars in the drive, meaning multiple guests from many different households all mingling together in one residence and garden, and presumably staying there?

lemongrove Fri 31-Jul-20 20:03:24

Even more surprising that Asian communities are mingling so much, when they are more at risk from Covid than most others.

maddyone Fri 31-Jul-20 20:16:19

I understand about Eid, we always did an Eid celebration in my school round about Eid time. I’m not being racist, I know and understand that Eid is the most important time of the year for Muslims, but there are guidelines and laws in place that specifically state that members of only two households can meet together in a house, and also only up to six people from different households outdoors. Therefore whether it’s Eid, Christmas, or Easter or any other festival, eight cars should not be in the driveway of one house. We saw nobody from our family at Easter, including my elderly mother because we were not supposed to meet anyone from different households, and we followed the rules. Easter is normally a family occasion for us, but not this year. Eid is a family occasion, but the rules don’t allow for eight families to meet together in one house. Everyone should follow the rules, young, old, religious, non religious, weddings, funerals. Not following the rules causes the virus to spread. There can’t be exceptions, although I’m acutely aware that many people think the rules don’t apply to them. That’s why the virus is spreading. I’m lucky, we live in a low spread area, so people can probably celebrate Eid happily together not really following rules, and there probably won’t be a problem, but Manchester has had a high rate of spread for a long time, so people can’t afford to flout the rules.

Peardrop50 Fri 31-Jul-20 20:21:13

lemongrove

I am as puzzled as maddy as Eid or no Eid, there should certainly not be eight cars in the drive, meaning multiple guests from many different households all mingling together in one residence and garden, and presumably staying there?

My thoughts too Lemon and Maddy.

Can't agree that politics has anything to do with it. Sensible folk on any side of the political divide as often reflected on Gransnet and equally some rebels who consider themselves immune to all laws never mind to covid-19.
Can see differences between attitudes of age groups. All of us are immortal when we're young but cautious and realistic as we age.

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 20:24:27

quizqueen

growstuff-I don't understand the 'logic' of thinking an unborn fetus is not a real person. They certainly are the more vulnerable as a quarter of a million are aborted each year in the UK. Next time you know someone who is upset because she has had a miscarriage, try saying to her, 'Get over it, it was only a fetus, not the much wanted child you wanted!!!

I'm with AW- anti-vaxer, conspiracy theorist, right wing etc.

Quod erat

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 20:27:23

I disagree with you ladymuck. There are certainly some young people who are more cavalier in their attitude.

However, it has also become a right versus left issue.

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 20:28:07

I disagree with you too Peardrop.

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 20:32:01

geekesse

Calendargirl

I don’t think a lot of younger people, and by that I mean anyone 40’ish and under, are too worried about older people dying, unless it’s say their grandparents.

They just see them as ‘old codgers’ who have had their life, and just not bothered really.

Oh, I think you are being very unfair. There are some younger people who are irresponsible and selfish, but you could say exactly the same about many older people too - there have been plenty of GN posts about this. The vast majority of people, of all ages, are being responsible and caring of others during this pandemic.

I agree. I've been a bit horrified at what some GNers have admitted they've done.

Illte Fri 31-Jul-20 21:12:15

It's not just the young. There's been loads of posts from Grans who have decided not to follow the social distancing advice. A whole thread just a few days ago when they were cheering each other on!

When I questioned them I was told I was nasty.

Every single one of us that has ignored the advice, decided we were a special case, that we couldn't live without a hug from family, friends or neighbours is responsible.

I expect I'll be jumped for saying that. As one poster said she'd rather go to prison than not have hugs from grandchildren.

Peardrop50 Fri 31-Jul-20 21:23:55

growstuff

I disagree with you too Peardrop.

Actually Growstuff so do I.

I stand by my comment on politics, good and bad , silly and sensible, conforming and rebellious on all sides.

However perhaps the age thing was too general. We do take more risks when we're young and have a greater zest for life. We are more often cautious as we age with a greater appreciation for life itself, but yes, there are the cautious and the carefree, the selfish and the selfless at all ages.

It is also true that the young have to get out there and take some risks, they need education, employment and social interaction. We oldies can be more careful because our pensions are paid in to the bank, most of us have some security, food on the table and a roof over our heads and, dare I say, less energy.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 31-Jul-20 21:28:49

Sorry I just do not understand why this situation is left versus right COVID-19 does not discriminate people due to their political persuasion!

MaizieD Fri 31-Jul-20 21:37:27

GrannyGravy13

Sorry I just do not understand why this situation is left versus right COVID-19 does not discriminate people due to their political persuasion!

It's because it is the far right, as exemplified by Ann Widdicombe. who seem to be anti vax, anti mask etc.

varian Fri 31-Jul-20 21:41:11

The far right defy logic and reason.

Peardrop50 Fri 31-Jul-20 21:46:08

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

It's because it is the far right, as exemplified by Ann Widdicombe. who seem to be anti vax, anti mask etc.

Ann Widdecombe is a publicity seeking poor excuse of a woman who does not exemplify the right.
Those of us that lean to the right are just as diverse as the left leaning. Most are concerned about the spread of the virus and most abide by the rules.

Lucca Fri 31-Jul-20 22:06:44

Never cease to be amazed that some posters make a statement and refuse point blank to explain or expand on their view

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 22:32:55

Chief Medical Officer of Wales:

"very little has changed in the science .... which pointed to them having little benefit"
"The evidence for making face masks compulsory is quite weak ..... although there might be a small benefit".

On/off/on/off.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 22:33:56

PS the Welsh Government is Labour, so presumably left.

Dinahmo Fri 31-Jul-20 22:40:10

GrannyGravy13

Of course it doesn't but there is a difference in the responses between those to the left of centre and those to the right.

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 23:04:44

Peardrop and GrannyGravy There is a very strong correlation between those who believe in right wing ideology and those who object to wearing masks, dismiss the idea lockdown and other measures are good, try to deny statistics, claim that concentrating on Covid-19 is causing more harm than good, etc etc.

growstuff Fri 31-Jul-20 23:08:32

The core idea of all right wing ideology is that the individual is more important than society. Some are more libertarian than others, but they believe that nobody has the right to take away their right to do as they please, including not wearing masks.

maddyone Fri 31-Jul-20 23:25:31

It is strange isn’t it, that politics comes into it? Young people believing they are invincible has always been the case, and in actual fact, the young do have less to fear with this disease, whereas we oldies, have more to fear. This, along with learning a bit on our way through life, tends to make us more cautious. But left or right? Well whatever my politics, I believe in following the guidelines as I believe it is to protect me. And I get a bit cross when I see other people clearly flouting the rules. A beach on a sunny day, journalists outside court or people’s houses, raves, not social distancing in pubs or supermarkets, Eid celebrations or any other kind of celebrations, riots and protests, I’m afraid I get annoyed about them all, because their behaviour actually eventually affects mine. What goes around comes around. We won’t get on top of this situation until we all respect the guidance.
As for Anne Widdecombe protesting about wearing a mask. Tough Anne, wear a mask and protect the rest of us. She shouldn’t be so b.......y selfish.

growstuff Sat 01-Aug-20 02:32:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Summerlove Sat 01-Aug-20 02:59:26

Calendargirl

I don’t think a lot of younger people, and by that I mean anyone 40’ish and under, are too worried about older people dying, unless it’s say their grandparents.

They just see them as ‘old codgers’ who have had their life, and just not bothered really.

I think that’s pretty unfair.

Many in that age group have been working and teaching and doing child care. All from home. To keep the vulnerable safe.

To slag them and what they have lost off like that is precisely why some might think the way you claim.