Gransnet forums

News & politics

Response to new covid measures - old v young; left v right

(108 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 31-Jul-20 16:04:32

The back lash against confinement seems to be turning into a cause for the right wing and libertarians.

Apparently in Germany this weekend there will be demonstrations against restrictions that have been introduced in order to stem the tide of corona virus. Various groups including anti vaxxers, holocaust deniers, conspiracy theorists and the far right NPD are expected to attend the demo in Berlin.

From my reading of many of the threads on here it does seem as though those opposed to the introduction of new measures tend to be from the right of centre.

in France there has been an increase in the numbers testing positive for covid. In the week to 26 July around 440,000 people were tested and 51% of those showed no symptoms. Of the remainder testing positive 69% were in the age group 15 -44 and of those, the majority were between 20 and 25. That last group, it would seem, are the ones who are most likely to gather at pubs, raves and other open air gatherings.

I fully understand that they want to go out and enjoy themselves whilst for many of us oldies who haven't been directly affected aren't so concerned about joining large gatherings.

However the young don't seem to understand that because they don't get as sick as older people, it's still going to affect those around them. They could unwittingly pass it on to more vulnerable people, including some young people. furthermore we don't yet know all the long term effects of this virus.

Davidhs Sat 01-Aug-20 17:50:11

I don’t think old/young or left/right matter at all, those that see themselves as vulnerable should take precautions regardless of what others do.

This Virus is behaving very unpredictably, some of those diagnosed with Covid 19 have not developed antibodies, so what hope is there for a reliable vaccine anytime soon. At least we are now up to speed with PPE and know that avoiding large groups and social distancing is a good idea.

growstuff Sat 01-Aug-20 20:33:11

Callistemon

He is appointed by the Welsh Government. I do not know if they quizzed him on his politics before appointing him

I could email one of my AMs and ask.

It just does not fit in with the OP, though, does it.
As for France, perhaps Liberté is important to them.

It's anecdotal at best and shows somebody who couldn't make his mind up. there's really no need to be so rude about those who didn't think your point was relevant.

It doesn't negate the general point that not wearing face masks has become a right wing, libertarian issue. They've been called "muzzles" in both the Mail and Express, Peter Hutchens has called them face nappies and then there's Ann Widdecombe!

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:02:27

Perhaps they're all Welsh.

Yes, there is every need.

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:03:50

I was not rude.
If you want to understand rudeness then look at some other threads or on Twitter.

lemongrove Sat 01-Aug-20 21:22:45

Dinahmo...look at your wording in the OP, you say ‘from my reading of many of the threads on here it does seem as if those opposed to the introduction of new measures tend to be from the right of centre.’
Which threads and which posts? How do you know if a poster is ‘right of centre’.I think this is all in your own mind.
Am not talking about anything going on in other
countries, or on twitter etc but just what you have written about Gransnet.Does blaming any ( who you think) is on the political right fit with your agenda?
If you write something so sweeping, then expect to be called out on it.
All I see is that it has zilch to do with left or right wing politics but all to do with selfishness if a person isn’t prepared to do social distancing or wear a face mask.

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:38:03

I doubt many of those who have not been self-distancing on the beaches, in the streets drinking, etc, care too much about politics of any persuasion.

Libertarianism: possibly defined as a right wing philosophy.
As opposed to authoritarianism.

It is a moot point which is a better philosophy.

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 19:55:30

The UK seems to be getting more and more like the USA where it is all about the individual - every man for himself. The weakest go to the wall.

What a contrast with countries like Finland, New Zealand and South Korea where there is a strong sense of community and people do the right thing, not only to protect themselves, but to protect each other.