Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling bewildered and wondering if I am wrong...

(93 Posts)
Rosina Sun 23-Aug-20 12:35:25

Have just read that 'Rule Brittania' is likely to be dropped from the Proms due to complaints from BLM supporters. 'Also read last week about Sainsbury's withdrawing a 'Matilda' theme mug which had words to the effect 'Suddenly a brilliant idea hit her hard'. This, apparently, could incite violence.
Just sitting here feeling that I have it all wrong, and need my outlook to change. Does anyone else feel as I do?

Starblaze Mon 24-Aug-20 09:59:42

Probably when those who started it died lol

growstuff Mon 24-Aug-20 10:08:09

MawB2

First of all, apologies for missing the “n”off “Allen” in the post about the German National Anthem. I suspect it was changed more because of the association with the Hitler period than just the words, but be that as it may.

Now how about a campaign to reinstate the missing verse of God Save the Queen?

?“O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all”?
I could certainly put some feeling into the final line!

I was nit picking.

Originally, it was used as a "battle cry" for a united Germany before 1870. It was never intended as a statement of domination.

After WW2, Germany didn't use a national anthem at all.

The words used now were actually the third stanza.

What it does show is that "traditions" can change over time to suit current beliefs.

The words used now mean:

Unity and justice and freedom
For the German fatherland!
Towards these let us all strive
Brotherly with heart and hand!
Unity and justice and freedom
Are the safeguards of fortune.

varian Mon 24-Aug-20 11:13:10

Of course, these days 'Land Of Hope & Glory' could be banned under the Trade Descriptions Act.

James O'Brien

Greta Mon 24-Aug-20 11:26:02

What I find interesting when I look at traditional songs in Scandinavian culture is that they almost always celebrate nature. There are many, many examples of this. Scandinavians have a great love and respect for nature.

The Swedish national anthem for instance, 'Du Gamla, du Fria':
”You ancient, you free, you mountainous north
You quiet, you joyful beauty!
I greet you, loveliest land upon Earth,
Your sun, your sky, your green meadows. ”

At the celebration of Walpurgis Night at the end of April we all sing: 'Sköna maj välkommen =We welcome you fair month of May
this traditional song celebrates that the long winter months are over.

It is also interesting that music is compulsory in Swedish schools and emphasises music making, vocal as well as instrument-based, as the core activity of the subject.

Galaxy Mon 24-Aug-20 11:29:45

That sounds lovely greta smile

Flowershop Mon 24-Aug-20 11:31:42

So many incredibly funny posts. Announcing that Everybody thinks this, The Majority think that. Nobody thinks the other. The Minority voted for this, the Majority want this but they don't want that.
Why don't all you posters just admit that you're posting your own views. None of you can possibly know what the majority or the minority think or want.
There has been Referendums and Elections. The results are out there for anyone to see.
I'll be off now to read something more interesting.
Re the mug, I think that It was wrong and should be corrected.
The Proms, I think that the words are outdated but the music is fantastic and I love watching and listening to the programmes.

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-20 11:43:10

Greta

What I find interesting when I look at traditional songs in Scandinavian culture is that they almost always celebrate nature. There are many, many examples of this. Scandinavians have a great love and respect for nature.

The Swedish national anthem for instance, 'Du Gamla, du Fria':
”You ancient, you free, you mountainous north
You quiet, you joyful beauty!
I greet you, loveliest land upon Earth,
Your sun, your sky, your green meadows. ”

At the celebration of Walpurgis Night at the end of April we all sing: 'Sköna maj välkommen =We welcome you fair month of May
this traditional song celebrates that the long winter months are over.

It is also interesting that music is compulsory in Swedish schools and emphasises music making, vocal as well as instrument-based, as the core activity of the subject.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2dYcJ6jqw

grin

Our kids drove us mad attempting to sing this over and over and over again as it was one of their favourite programmes.

I think the Prommers would make a better fist of it. grin

Greta Mon 24-Aug-20 12:04:42

Thanks, merlotgran, I can well imagine it drove you mad. I never did master the Sami joik!

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-20 13:29:05

Is that what it's called, Greta?

I must tell DS. He used to make such a terrible noise I thought the dog was being sick! grin

Compelling in the right environment though. I'm sure the reindeer found it irresistible!

Nannarose Mon 24-Aug-20 14:19:46

Since my early teens, with my parents' approval, I stopped singing the National Anthem, and have never sung Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory. I do love Jerusalem, although I am amused by it: I want to add endings to the lines - no - no - no - no - get them yourself.
I love Billy Bragg's version of I Vow to Thee: I'm dreaming of a country where all can live in health....

Greta Mon 24-Aug-20 14:31:04

merlotgran, yes, it's called Sami joik and it usually describes man's connection with nature.

It's interesting but not everybody's cup of reindeer milk.

cupaffull Mon 24-Aug-20 14:32:57

PinkCakes

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our <a target="_blank" rel="noopener" href="https://www.gransnet.com/info/netiquette">Talk Guidelines.</a>

Had they added a "lightbulb" and different font to the mug....problem solved. Just a bit inept, I wonder at the age of the person who designed it.

cupaffull Mon 24-Aug-20 14:33:43

App sorry wanted to view pink cakes....confused

cupaffull Mon 24-Aug-20 14:34:13

"Oops"

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-20 20:10:30

Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia will be played at this year's Last Night of the Proms.

Downing Street has told the BBC that historic songs should not be scrapped despite academics' claims that they are 'racist propaganda.'

I'm giving Boris a quiet little cheer.

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-20 20:19:22

I think it will be orchestral versions only despite there being a reduced in numbers choir at the performance. hmm

And a new arrangement of Jerusalem. Maybe we could make up our own words? grin

Urmstongran Mon 24-Aug-20 20:54:28

Well done Boris.