Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blanket order on all care homes to place Do Not Resuscitate orders on all residents

(77 Posts)
westendgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 10:24:21

This is reported in today's papers. I wonder what Gransnet members think of this dreadful news that care homes were ordered to introduce this without discussion with staff, family members or residents.
Surely this is unethical and there should most definitely be an inquiry.

maddyone Sun 30-Aug-20 11:51:19

Maw and Trisher thank you both for your contributions about the way your loved ones were treated in hospital. I agree that older people are treated well and with kindness when they’re in hospital. When my Dad died he was in hospital and under treatment for a chest infection. The treatment was only stopped because it became apparent that he was going to die in the next few hours.
Having said that, he didn’t die as quickly as it was thought he was going to, and so when my nephew arrived (he is a doctor) he spoke with the young doctor looking after him and requested a drip was put up to ensure he wasn’t dehydrated and thirsty, and that he was given morphine to prevent any pain and keep him comfortable. My own daughter, also a doctor, didn’t arrive until the next day, and by then Dad had died.