Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Boris going to resign ?

(224 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 25-Aug-20 23:22:31

Is Boris Johnson planning to retire as U.K. prime minister in six months?
That’s the eye-catching claim in the Times, which cited a conversation one of its readers had with the father-in-law of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s chief adviser.
According to the newspaper’s Diary column, Humphry Wakefield chatted to Times reader Anna Silverman when she visited his castle in northeast England last week. Johnson, Wakefield is reported to have said, is still suffering the after-effects of his coronavirus infection and will never fully recover, and therefore plans to resign early next year.

With the U.K. ever fully recover from the unholy alliance of BoJo and DomCum though?

maddyone Tue 25-Aug-20 23:42:27

It wouldn’t surprise me if he does, nor will it surprise me if he doesn’t.

Callistemon Tue 25-Aug-20 23:48:25

maddyone

It wouldn’t surprise me if he does, nor will it surprise me if he doesn’t.

?

Hedging your bets, maddyone

Callistemon Tue 25-Aug-20 23:49:14

I think he will and possibly even before then.

merlotgran Tue 25-Aug-20 23:55:31

I don't really believe anything that comes out of the mouth of one of the Cummings clan.

vegansrock Wed 26-Aug-20 06:45:03

When Cummings has had enough of him, getting his planned for no deal Brexit and feathers his nest, then we will have the reptilian Gove as front man. Not something to look forward to.

janeainsworth Wed 26-Aug-20 06:53:17

Maw I wouldn’t rely on Humphrey Wakefield as a source of information. He has the reputation up here of being, shall we say, a bit eccentric wink

tanith Wed 26-Aug-20 06:53:20

I wish ?

Lucca Wed 26-Aug-20 06:59:20

Oh lord, what a choice. Gove or Johnson. Devil and deep blue sea.

MawB2 Wed 26-Aug-20 08:27:58

janeainsworth

Maw I wouldn’t rely on Humphrey Wakefield as a source of information. He has the reputation up here of being, shall we say, a bit eccentric wink

So I have read!
But maybe “ out of the horse’s mouth?”

Iam64 Wed 26-Aug-20 08:33:26

Mr Johnson still doesn't look like a man in the peak of health, a man who is enjoying work or indeed, particularly interested in it. He came alive yesterday when he criticised the BBC for considering the programme for Last Night of the Proms. It was like seeing the Johnson who inspired so many to vote for his party in the last election. He seems to be at his best when he doesn't have to be serious or fully informed on the subject under discussion.
Curious that suddenly, Classic Dom's father in law knows more about the PM than the rest of us/

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 08:37:42

He seems to be at his best when he doesn't have to be serious or fully informed on the subject under discussion

Brilliant! Absolutely spot on.

Magsymoo Wed 26-Aug-20 08:42:48

It would be a good cover for Johnson to resign supposedly from ill health. He is clearly out of his depth doing a serious job and is losing the popularity he craves. The Tories are ruthless with their leaders if they feel they are a liability - Thatcher, May etc. Johnson will jump before he is pushed and use his health, not his incompetence as the excuse. With a bit of luck he will be replaced by Gove and then we will see even more support for the Government evaporate.

Nortsat Wed 26-Aug-20 08:47:58

I am with maddyone on this - I wouldn’t be surprised if he did and I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t.

Nothing would surprise me, with Johnson ...

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 08:50:07

You can see that he hasn't been 100% since even before he became ill. His father looks fitter ! The illness has knocked the stuffing out of him, as it clearly does and he also returned to work earlier than he should have done.

The Johnson's as a family don't appear to be a family who are fazed by their positions in life but it does depend if you're in the peak of health to do so and clearly, Boris isn't.

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:08:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mokryna Wed 26-Aug-20 09:08:34

It was a long desire of his to be Prime Minister. He decided that the way to get in was under the Brexit flag. He thought it would be easy work but even before Covid he was absent a lot.

Of course Covid changed the world for everyone However, too many people have had Covid, and my daughter for one who works in the NHS is still suffering from tiredness but like other is still at work. I feel he is suffering more from the shock that the job of being PM is not the easy ride he expected.

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:15:52

I feel he is suffering more from the shock that the job of being PM is not the easy ride he expected

So true!

lemongrove Wed 26-Aug-20 09:21:55

Furret

He was a fat slob even before he caught the virus.

This is the kind of informed thinking I joined GN to read.

Rosalyn69 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:27:26

I wouldn’t be surprised. A lot of the time he looks quite poorly and I’m not sure a holiday in a tent in Scotland did much for his health.
I agree that the PM job is not quite the easy ride he was expecting.

lemongrove Wed 26-Aug-20 09:31:09

maddy I agree, nothing surprises me with politics really, and events turn on a sixpence at times.Having elected Johnson because he’s popular with Conservative members and also the public ( elected as Mayor of London twice) it will be interesting to see how the next year pans out, if he loses that popularity.He will want to complete the Brexit negotiations of course, but after that it will depend on his health.If he is able to bounce back and things go well then he will want to stay as PM, but if not I can see that it would be better for either Gove or Hunt to take over.That’s if they manage to steer clear of the virus!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:33:12

Furret

He was a fat slob even before he caught the virus.

Nice comment........not!

Jabberwok Wed 26-Aug-20 09:37:01

Predictable though!

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:37:18

Not nice, but true.

Lucca Wed 26-Aug-20 09:40:30

Furret. Not worthy of you - I’ve seen you post such knowledgeable comments.
Overweight certainly but to call anyone a fat slob is wrong.