Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Boris going to resign ?

(225 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 25-Aug-20 23:22:31

Is Boris Johnson planning to retire as U.K. prime minister in six months?
That’s the eye-catching claim in the Times, which cited a conversation one of its readers had with the father-in-law of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s chief adviser.
According to the newspaper’s Diary column, Humphry Wakefield chatted to Times reader Anna Silverman when she visited his castle in northeast England last week. Johnson, Wakefield is reported to have said, is still suffering the after-effects of his coronavirus infection and will never fully recover, and therefore plans to resign early next year.

With the U.K. ever fully recover from the unholy alliance of BoJo and DomCum though?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:09:05

I can’t do links but he was on the BBC yesterday.

Iam64 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:10:14

Matt Hancock again-Hancock's half hour to entertain the nation in a dower kind of way

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:11:10

Breakfast it was

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 20:28:50

Whitewavemark2

Anyone hear Hancock say that he was going to change the law so that nurses and pharmacists would be able to administer vaccination?

God save us from such idiots!

Some of them already can. A nurse has always done my vaccinations and I once had one administered by the local pharmacist.

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 20:29:14

Why does that need a change of law?

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 20:29:58

Ooops! I see what you mean! Yes, the man's an idiot!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:30:45

growstuff

Why does that need a change of law?

It doesn’t!, we are simple governed by idiots.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:46:26

I see Grayling has resigned from the security and intelligence committee. He’s outlived his purpose and doesn’t fit the description??

JenniferEccles Fri 28-Aug-20 22:28:06

The nurse at our GP surgery gives flu vaccines each winter.

Nothing to be alarmed about.

MaizieD Fri 28-Aug-20 22:37:20

No-one is getting alarmed, JE. Just rather surprised that Hancock doesn't seem to know that it already happens...

Urmstongran Fri 28-Aug-20 23:03:22

Do you mean ‘dour’ Iam64?

Greta Fri 28-Aug-20 23:08:23

I seem to remember that some time ago there was another minister (?) who didn't realize the importance of Dover.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 06:42:24

Government by the dims. ??

vegansrock Sat 29-Aug-20 06:53:38

Land of Dope and Tories

Calendargirl Sat 29-Aug-20 07:48:07

The pharmacist at Boots and the Co Op administer flu jabs.

growstuff Sat 29-Aug-20 08:02:08

Calendargirl

The pharmacist at Boots and the Co Op administer flu jabs.

I think that's the point - Hancock didn't seem to know.

Dinahmo Sat 29-Aug-20 15:57:50

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

Anyone hear Hancock say that he was going to change the law so that nurses and pharmacists would be able to administer vaccination?

God save us from such idiots!

Some of them already can. A nurse has always done my vaccinations and I once had one administered by the local pharmacist.

The nurses here in France administer the flu jabs. Saves wasting the doctors' time.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 20:08:36

Even Tories can't bear it at the moment

Boris Johnson faces Tory wrath as party slumps in shock poll

Covid U-turns leave party in despair, says senior MP, as Labour draws level in wake of exam chaos

From the Observer-

patcaf Sat 29-Aug-20 22:13:34

Why would he resign? I do not think he is bothered by the mess he has created. He has no empathy with people and does not care what happens to anyone outside his privileged circle. And even then only as long as they support him. He will only resign if the Tory/Ukip party decides he is a liability not because he feels any responsibility for what he has done. He is a first order narcissist.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Aug-20 06:34:36

Labour have now gained 26 points and are level pegging with the Tories.

So what have we ahead of us?

Ending of furlough

Mass redundancies expected from October 31

Possible second wave With thousands more deaths expected.

the end of transition.

Shortages of food and medicines

What could possibly go wrong?

If this was a competent government it would be a taxing task ahead but the population could be confident that they were up to the task.

But this is far from a competent government. It sees its biggest task as leaving the EU everything else is a side line and it shows in the level of competence we have witnessed to date.

No one in the U.K. can be confident that all will be handled well, in fact we know with certainty that it won’t.

Britain has gone from a top tier country to third rate in the space of a few years under the Tories.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Aug-20 08:01:39

Tory backbencher are despairing because they simply don’t know from one day to the next what the policy is on any one subject to give to their constituents. No sooner do they spout one line, then it is changed.

It must be impossible, I almost feel sorry for the poor souls.

NannyC2 Sun 30-Aug-20 14:54:25

I think he will in about 6 months - so should Hancock!

biba70 Mon 31-Aug-20 12:31:04

I almost feel sorry for him (well... not, he got what he wanted and deserves now) - he must be quaking in his boots, or *itting bricks as we say where I come from about returning to PMQ. Starmer as been biding his time- and he will not hold back. And now with his own backbenchers turning against him- and becoming aware that the 'games' of Cummings and the ERG are becoming really truly dangerous and disastrous for the country- not a comfortable position to be in. He will never surive 6 months.

In the meantime, we just have 4 weeks to get a Deal done- and they are playing silly beggars, reneging on everything previously negociated and signed up for- wasting time and tons of money (EU time and money too)- no-one knows what game they are playing anymore, the Deal with USA will cost us our freedom and indepence, our standards, industry and agriculture- WTO is Pie in the Sky. So what on earth will we end up with.

Combined with poor harvests, not only here, forcing us to import- but in the countries we have alienated massively and who also will face short supplies and will prioritise each other.

biba70 Mon 31-Aug-20 12:33:37

There will be a price war on essential goods and medicines, and energy. Who will win? Those with friends and allies all around them and with a currency holding up well? Or those that have made enemies and spread distrust all around them- with an economy and a currency tanking exactly at the time when international import prices are rising fast?