Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Boris going to resign ?

(225 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 25-Aug-20 23:22:31

Is Boris Johnson planning to retire as U.K. prime minister in six months?
That’s the eye-catching claim in the Times, which cited a conversation one of its readers had with the father-in-law of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s chief adviser.
According to the newspaper’s Diary column, Humphry Wakefield chatted to Times reader Anna Silverman when she visited his castle in northeast England last week. Johnson, Wakefield is reported to have said, is still suffering the after-effects of his coronavirus infection and will never fully recover, and therefore plans to resign early next year.

With the U.K. ever fully recover from the unholy alliance of BoJo and DomCum though?

lemongrove Wed 26-Aug-20 09:41:11

Johnson is overweight, as is the SNP’s Ian Blackford and many other people both in and out of the public gaze.....that doesn’t mean they are ‘fat slobs’ furret or is that your view on all overweight people I wonder.Either way, it adds nothing to the conversation.

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:43:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:46:13

I disagree lemon that it adds nothing to the conversation. He was seriously unhealthy before Covid and should he resign on grounds of ill health then that is just an excuse to get out of the job.

Lucca Wed 26-Aug-20 09:46:35

It’s the combination of fat and slob. Not nice. I don’t like the man either btw

Lucca Wed 26-Aug-20 09:46:59

Anyway I’m off to tennis in order not to become a f,s,

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:47:57

He is denying it so the answer is a resounding

YES

Urmstongran Wed 26-Aug-20 09:48:45

Will Boris resign? I think it will depend on his health. He looks washed out to be honest. I think he’s staying to get Brexit over the line. After that? Who knows.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:54:17

Furret that is an old photo, he has lost weight since then, and is in all probability still trying to lose more.

trisher Wed 26-Aug-20 09:55:02

Has he signed a lucrative book deal or been offered some other position as a well paid figurehead or struck some other deal? If he has then he will go. If he hasn't we will be stuck with him.

lemongrove Wed 26-Aug-20 09:58:54

Furret many people have died from the virus or become seriously ill, that didn’t happen because they were all ‘fat slobs’. Because you don’t like somebody....in this case Johnson, you apply this wording.If it was someone you did happen to like, you wouldn't have done, it’s as simple as that.

timetogo2016 Wed 26-Aug-20 10:00:32

No he won`t,i`m sure of it.

Callistemon Wed 26-Aug-20 10:06:19

I’m not sure a holiday in a tent in Scotland did much for his health.
He's not in a tent, he's staying in a cottage. Someone put up a tent (without permission, cue irate farmer grumbling to the press) in the field next to the rented cottage.

Callistemon Wed 26-Aug-20 10:11:00

He was seriously unhealthy before Covid
But you don't know that, do you Furret? Being overweight does not necessarily equate with being seriously unhealthy.

Perhaps if he'd been tiny and slim he may have been even more ill, having no reserves to fall back on.
Slim, fit people get cancer. Slim, fit people have heart attacks. Serious walkers die suddenly.

fat slob Nice.

Callistemon Wed 26-Aug-20 10:13:40

I sound as if I'm defending him.
I'm not defending his politics but that was nothing to do with politics.

He still does look unwell. I know of someone who was extremely strong and fit, younger than Boris and is still struggling weeks after recovering from COVID.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 26-Aug-20 10:16:57

He was on the news last night and he certainly fitted Furret’s description to a tee. A similar phrase came to my mind at the time. He is a disgrace and embarrassment.

It would not surprise me in the least if he resigned and blamed Covid once the Brexit ‘mess’ hits the fan.

Dinahmo Wed 26-Aug-20 10:34:17

As part of the Brexit campaign Cummings came up with the idea of 3 word phrases, which politicians were supposed to use to answer questions when interviewed. I suggest that wherever possible we use the phrase "Sack Dominic Cummings".

Cummings being in charge after Johnson goes doesn't bear thinking about.

maddyone Wed 26-Aug-20 10:35:52

I’m not going to get off the fence because as I said yesterday, I wouldn’t be surprised if he resigns or if he doesn’t resign. However I will say that he hasn’t looked at all well since he had the virus, despite the clear fact that he has lost a lot of weight. Sadly some people are really struggling to regain full health and their former vitality after suffering from the virus, and he appears to be one of them.The medics don’t know whether these people will be affected for the rest of their lives or whether they will gradually recover further. In the Prime Minister’s case, having a new baby, at a time that many people are looking towards grandchildren, cannot have helped his recovery. Luckily for him, Carrie is young and appears to be strong and healthy, despite having suffered the virus whilst she was pregnant.

MaizieD Wed 26-Aug-20 10:51:49

Cummings being in charge after Johnson goes doesn't bear thinking about.

Don't you mean 'Cummings STILL being in charge...^ ?

Franbern Wed 26-Aug-20 11:49:12

Furret

*He seems to be at his best when he doesn't have to be serious or fully informed on the subject under discussion*

Brilliant! Absolutely spot on.

Well, nothing new then!!

Luckygirl Wed 26-Aug-20 11:51:43

Please god - not Gove - anyone but Gove............

paddyanne Wed 26-Aug-20 11:56:56

Rosalyn he didn't sleep IN the tent,it was just a PR prop ,he slept in the house they had rented for 3 nights ...and he stayed for 3 nights.he wasn't chased away by "stalkers£ despite what the media said.the good people of Applecross kept well away from him and his 8 thats EIGHT security staff made sure he was safe .

Janpt Wed 26-Aug-20 11:59:31

Wakefield should keep his mouth shut and stop spreading untrue rumours.

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 12:02:27

You'd have reported me for saying that wouldn't you Furret ?

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Aug-20 12:07:00

Tittle tattle.

Somebody spoke to someone who said somebody they knew spoke to a holidaymaker who reckoned.......

The Times must be short of news!

catladyuk Wed 26-Aug-20 12:13:11

Should the rumours be true, let us hope that he doesn't rush the so called 'Brexit' without getting the best deal just to get it over and done with before he leaves.

IMHO the best deal would be never to have started this fiasco in the first place!