Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cultural appropriation

(129 Posts)
Illte Tue 01-Sep-20 09:47:04

This has been in the news over the last couple of days.

I don't want to start a contentious thread. I really want to understand this. I think I might have unwittingly done this in the past and maybe still am.

Ive always worked in mukti-ethnic schools and mostly lived in multi-ethnic communities. If I saw something I liked I adopted it.

For instance learned how to use spices properly and my cooking definitely tends to Southern Asian rather than traditional British.

The music of Southern Africa appeals to me and it was played at my husbands funeral. He was white British like me.

When Im invited to Diwali celebrations I go in a sari. But now I'm wondering if I've been making a mistake.

I'm looking for guidance from someone who understands cultural appropriation more than I do.

TerriBull Fri 04-Sep-20 10:56:39

I also have a beautiful Jade green Chinese Jacket bought back from Hong Kong years ago. Just wish I could still fit into itsad I think it's a size 8.

Western women who choose to live and work in certain areas of the Middle East, Saudi and Iran, to name but two places, have to appropriate the enforced dress codes of those countries.

SueDonim posts on this thread have been very enlightening and have certainly given us food for thought about the significance of traditional African hairstyles. Also some other good posts particularly from Monica. Hairstyles aside, as we are living in a shrinking global world with far more migration than ever before, there is an inevitability that host countries will assimilate aspects of other cultures. Very much reminded of that when we visited Seville last year. I believe the bell tower on the cathedral there, was constructed by Moorish artisans and at a later stage evolved from a minaret type structure into the bell tower. Personally I think the Moorish influences of southern Spain make it the unique place it is.

M0nica Mon 07-Sep-20 17:14:04

'Maybe you’d be happy to continue to act in a manner which someone had told you they find upsetting or offensive, Monica. I am not. '

SueDonim Would you do as someone said if they were using 'Do not do this or that it upsets me' as a way of dominating and abusing you? I was brought up to face up to bullies, not submit to their abuse.

Sadly many women do submit to abuse and abusive partners, rather than stand up to them. I do not understand why you cannot see that this is unacceptable.

PECS Mon 21-Sep-20 08:56:27

I think that if people sometimes copy music, clothing , food etc from cultures and backgrounds different to their own because they enjoy & like them that is not CA. It is different if a person, or country, starts claiming something as "theirs" that clearly originates elsewhere, profits from it or uses it to undermine the the cultural identity of the group/ people/country where things originated from.
If people wear cornrows but have racist attitudes to the black community, enjoy a curry but do not like Asian communities etc etc. is hypocritical at the very least...hmm