Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, did he go to Perugia incognito - or not?

(139 Posts)
biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:21:25

Shame, if I had known he was so close to where we were on holiday, I would have gone to have 'a word' in his ear.

Jaberwok Mon 21-Sep-20 16:27:39

No! Honestly who cares whether Boris spent the weekend in Italy?! It's all subterfuge and probably none of our business! I can't believe that Panorama are devoting a programme to a game of I spy!! I haven't watched it for years and don't intend tonight to be any different! I hardly ever watch the BBC anymore and won't be doing so anytime soon!

annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 16:31:58

I feel I am living in a parallel universe.
All rumour, lies, innuendo and I am trapped in it unable to leave the house without help.
I am fast losing it, I don’t know what to believe, it is like a very long bad dream.

MaizieD Mon 21-Sep-20 16:41:41

It is our business, Jaberwok, he is PM and we are paying him. It is a time of national crisis, so what is he doing flying off for weekends in Italy with his Russian mate? Especially when the leaders of the devolved assemblies and the LOTO are asking to meet with him to co-ordinate planning. No COBRA meeting since May!!

However, you just keep your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears...

mcem Mon 21-Sep-20 16:46:54

Not so long ago Lebedev was seen as a security threat. Then that label was removed and he was given a seat in the HoL.

Let's hope that Panorama throws some light on what his hold is over BJ!

Am appalled at the 'I prefer not to know' attitude!

vegansrock Mon 21-Sep-20 16:53:26

One wonders if it had been Jeremy Corbyn or Diane Abbott, people would be saying none of our business/ who cares / they are entitled to have as many holidays as they like / they are so hardworking / etc,
No, the knives would be out.

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:02:01

If you refuse to listen and look at the evidence- then I do believe you lose the right to comment.

It is not about a trip to Italy- it is about who paid for it, who he was with and hosted by, and what the links are to Russian intervention in the elections and the Referendum, and more.

LauraNorder Mon 21-Sep-20 17:08:02

Downing Street has no reason to deny. Could have been Jo Johnson, could have been Stanley, could have been Sue Pollard for all we know.
Boris is entitled to a weekend in Timbuktu if he wants one.
Don’t know what all the fuss is about.

Poppyred Mon 21-Sep-20 17:23:55

Eat your words?? It wasn’t him, it was the god awful Tony Blair! ??

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:24:35

Then you are not listening to the reasons people are very concerned. It is not about where- it is with whom... and why?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:28:16

LauraNorder

Downing Street has no reason to deny. Could have been Jo Johnson, could have been Stanley, could have been Sue Pollard for all we know.
Boris is entitled to a weekend in Timbuktu if he wants one.
Don’t know what all the fuss is about.

No he isn’t!! He is the British prime minister and we have every right to expect a standard of behaviour.

We know that Putin has control over the oligarchs, we know that Putin has covertly influenced the US election and Brexit.

To accept money and hospitality from these people is extraordinarily foolish. It needs to stop.

Jaberwok Mon 21-Sep-20 17:29:51

How do YOU know who he is as seeing or the what he was doing?!!. You don't is the simple answer! Perhaps he paid for it himself he's certainly wealthy enough! Perhaps Stanley treated them? Perhaps they didn't go at all! Nobody on here knows what the story was, so when you have some definite facts then you can disapprove and jump back up onto the moral high ground all you like but until then what you are getting so het about is just speculation!

LauraNorder Mon 21-Sep-20 17:35:03

I agree Jaberwok. What happened to innocent until proven guilty WW2?

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 17:42:06

annsixty

I feel I am living in a parallel universe.
All rumour, lies, innuendo and I am trapped in it unable to leave the house without help.
I am fast losing it, I don’t know what to believe, it is like a very long bad dream.

annsixty
Thank you ???

Alegrias Mon 21-Sep-20 17:42:20

"Perhaps he paid for it himself he's certainly wealthy enough!"

But he can't afford a nanny....

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 17:43:51

annsixty do you remember The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan?

Well, I keep looking behind me for a big white ball.

Pantglas2 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:44:24

This particular PM couldn’t go anywhere incognito even if he wore a Dennis the Menace wig complete with striped jumper - he’d still look like Boris!

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:44:24

"The prime minister seems unable to shake off his mysterious connections to Russians and their money. The BBC is now reporting an $8m transaction between a Russian politician and the husband of Lubov Chernukhin, who is famous for donating £1.7m to the Tory party and paying handsomely for the privilege of playing tennis with David Cameron.
The payment was made in April 2016, just two months before the referendum, and came from a Russian politician Suleyman Kerimov, who is facing US sanctions due to his close links to the Kremlin. The payment was later flagged as suspicious by officials at Deutsche Bank in New York.
This story breaks, as sensational news comes out of Italy claiming that Boris Johnson spent the weekend before last in Perugia at an Italian castle with Evgeny Lebedev, his billionaire Russian friend and the man he nominated for a peerage."

BTW, do you have any idea how much it costs to charter a private plane to Perugia or anywhere???

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 17:51:21

It was reported in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica
So it must be true
?

But surely he can't have a doppelganger? It's not possible! Could anyone else have that dishevelled, unbrushed look?

Parsley3 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:06:19

It was a case of mistaken identity according to the DM.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 18:08:04

Could anyone else have that dishevelled, unbrushed look?
It was a case of mistaken identity

Gosh, he does have a doppelganger then!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:13:50

LauraNorder

I agree Jaberwok. What happened to innocent until proven guilty WW2?

We aren’t talking about guilty or innocent we are talking about a certain standard of decency and honesty, with the U.K. population confident that they can place their trust in the prime minister.

None of it is possible with this dreadful man.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:15:11

The Italian authorities have his time of entry and exit

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:16:44

I think the main point with this story, is that it is believable, this man’s behaviour makes it all quite possible.

Knittynatter Mon 21-Sep-20 18:18:18

The BBC are reporting it was Blair ??

Deedaa Mon 21-Sep-20 18:19:35

The point surely is the lack of clarity. If he went to Perugia why not come out and admit it? If he didn't go then tell us what he was doing. We are paying him that £150,000 he can't afford to live on so it is our business. And what about Wilfred? Westminster Cathedral? Perugia? Is Carrie a catholic because surely Boris isn't and does the church baptise the children of unmarried parents?