Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris announcing in House of Commons now

(216 Posts)
queengran Mon 12-Oct-20 15:39:35

Let's hear what he has to say...

lemongrove Tue 13-Oct-20 09:07:43

If the new restrictions don’t stop people from doing what they want to do ( if they continue being selfish) then yes, we will need another lockdown.These extra restrictions have to be tried first.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:08:14

I am yet to hear a Labour MP come up with an alternative plan

Lemongrove we thought the tier system was clear.

M0nica unfortunately there are a lot of folks of all ages who are/have flouted the rules (plenty of examples on GN since lockdown). If everyone had isolated and observed social distancing, wore masks and kept good hand hygiene perhaps we would not be seeing the rise of infections.

ginny Tue 13-Oct-20 09:10:44

I was going to write the same as lemon grove in each of her posts so won’t repeat.

lemongrove Tue 13-Oct-20 09:13:59

If you look around Europe ( let alone further afield) with the exception of Germany, no country seems happy with their government’s handling of the pandemic......
We and our families have all been affected in one way or another, depression, loss of job or whatever the reason but it isn’t the fault of any government, it is what it is, a worldwide
Pandemic which all of us have to accept and try and live
through.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:14:30

This latest wave was seeded in the summer when the decision was made by the government to lift restrictions throughout the country.

They were warned by the scientists at the time that the level of covid had not dropped sufficiently in some northern areas, but they ignored the advise, thus ensuring the level of covid we see now.

People don’t behave differently in one part if the country to any other, it has nothing to do with the disparity in levels but everything to do with poor management and clear concise messaging.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:15:33

And yes of course the last lot of rules are easy to follow but that is not the point.

JenniferEccles Tue 13-Oct-20 10:03:44

In many respects the situation now is the same as it was right at the beginning in the Spring.

It’s a balancing act, pure and simple.

Why persist in this constant criticism of the government’s handling of the virus when we are all well aware that alongside the need to save lives where possible, there is also a vitally important need to protect the economy.

The government’s strategy of targeting those areas with the fastest growing numbers is something everyone can understand.

Theoddbird Tue 13-Oct-20 10:14:44

I see that this is another damned if he does, damned if he doesn't discussion....

Theoddbird Tue 13-Oct-20 10:16:27

I expect there will be the usual copy and pasting rather than the taking into account that people do accually read posts.

Sleepygran Tue 13-Oct-20 10:19:40

It doean t make a lot of sense.
You can sit in an enclosed restaurant with social distancing with god know how many people in there but can’t meet family or friends outside in your garden social distancing.
Kids can go to school but can’t have friends round.

Philreed Tue 13-Oct-20 10:21:04

It seems to me that there are many other areas that should have gone straight into the third tier. Only Liverpool agreed; and even then because ‘we were told even if we didn’t agree it would happen anyway’. Presumably leaders in other areas didn’t accept going into the third tier but Boris lacked the firm leadership qualities to get them to see sense. So we end up with some areas previously on local lockdown that are now in tier 2 and actually with lighter restrictions under the new tier arrangement. Hardly the needed outcome, unless these move to tier 3 in the coming days.

Quilty Tue 13-Oct-20 10:26:00

Who would want to be a decision maker. Health of nation vs health of economy!!!!!

libra10 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:27:32

I totally agree with the comments made by lemongrove.

All countries are in the same boat regarding the Covid pandemic. Rules aren't difficult to understand; trying to balance the economy while saving as many lives as possible, is an almost impossible task.

Too much political bias is being shown on this thread.

nannypiano Tue 13-Oct-20 10:28:31

It is so easy to criticize what Boris is trying to do. So why don't the opposition suggest a better plan instead of harping on about the wrong decisions the government are proposing. The truth is no one knows what will work.

Craftycat Tue 13-Oct-20 10:28:59

Well I understood it anyway.
It is a thankless task when all you are able to offer is bad news. I doubt anyone else would have done any better.
I have no problem with Boris. When I look back at some of the leaders we have had he comes out OK.
Imagine if Corbyn was in charge right now!!!!

suziewoozie Tue 13-Oct-20 10:30:12

‘Too much political bias is being shown on this thread.’

?????

It’s a well known fact on GN that political bias is only ever shown by the left.

LauraNorder Tue 13-Oct-20 10:33:56

What Lemongrove said.
I agree with all of Lemon’s posts. Good common sense.
Also JenniferEccles and Theodbird.
The government have to balance health and economy. The messages are clear. Anyone who doesn’t understand can look it up or use common sense.
Whatever your area keep your distance, wash your hands, wear a mask. Simples.

Mollygo Tue 13-Oct-20 10:34:14

Lemongrove you said what I was going to say. Thanks!
GrannyGravy13 you make such a good point. So many people flout the rules or decide that their version is better.
I wonder at the number of posters on social media who claim they don’t understand the rules. If the more complex ones are too difficult, then just stick to the Hands (wash them Or sanitise them frequently), Face (Wear a face covering) and Space (at least 2 metres). If there are places you can’t go to follow those rules, then don’t go.
Am I scared? Yes I am. Where I work I can follow those 3 rules, but not everyone else does without being reminded and some folk STILL argue that the rules are stupid, not caring that their argument is spreading potentially infected droplets all around so I’m only 50% safer than if I stay at home.
My choice, as for many, is work and live or don’t work, lose my home and watch the economy die.

Sr69 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:37:35

Absolutely agree with lemongrove , don’t people listen!

rowanflower0 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:37:39

Boris has always just 'bumbled along', but didn't expect to have the pressure of a pandemic when he became Prime Minister!
He, like many politicians, answers a question, by treating it as the question he would have liked to have been asked!
We needed a Winston, but have a Boris!

Marieeliz Tue 13-Oct-20 10:37:57

It's a nice change to have people on this site with common sense. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Of, course we know when it's, hopefully, over. The left will be crying about how much has to be paid back.

Aepgirl Tue 13-Oct-20 10:38:39

I understood it perfectly well. You have to listen without prejudice and with an open mind. If you are sure you’re not going to agree, you listen differently.

Buttonjugs Tue 13-Oct-20 10:42:41

No. Nothing will be until they close schools, colleges and universities. And they’re not even considering it.

maddyone Tue 13-Oct-20 10:45:15

Apegirl
I agree, it’s not difficult to understand.
I was surprised that only the Liverpool area is set at VeryHigh Risk. I think there are other areas that should have been included. But they didn’t ask me for my opinion!

Buttonjugs Tue 13-Oct-20 10:46:07

@CraftyCat yes, imagine how awful things would be with a universal basic income and investment in manufacturing and public services. Terrible, doesn’t bear thinking about.