Boris announcing in House of Commons now

(216 Posts)
queengran Mon 12-Oct-20 15:39:35

Let's hear what he has to say...

growstuff Wed 14-Oct-20 19:23:16

Brilliant post LadyHonoriaDedlock.

growstuff Wed 14-Oct-20 19:25:46

MaizieD

Here's one service sector that will be massively expanded come 1st Jan 2021!

twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1316316827279142912

Hey! I could provide them! £3 billion? It's a deal. I know sod all about portaloos, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. grin

varian Wed 14-Oct-20 19:27:59

OK growstuff, but who do you know?

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 19:38:22

12JO

Please can we stop the playground left v. right drivel & concentrate, as some contributors have, on the question of whether the current restrictions are correct.
In a situation which is constantly changing of course the government has to adapt. Saying you don’t understand any government advice is Not a great advert for a person.

These are not unprecedented times other than our Worldwide reaction to yet another virus.
Nobody seems to remember Hong Kong flu over 2 winters in the late 60s , killing 2 million worldwide, yet everyone, everywhere got on with work & life.
And it passed as this will.

Good post, and worth reading again!
All the ‘evil Boris’ and ‘he’s a monster’ and all the other overblown rhetoric on the thread is quite ridiculous.

Much better for posters to stop any right wing/left wing drivel as you say, and talk about what restrictions mean for them, what they would hope to see etc.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Oct-20 20:32:15

The people that died didn’t just ‘get on with life’ did they? Or am I missing something here?

growstuff Wed 14-Oct-20 20:38:45

varian

OK growstuff, but who do you know?

I know somebody who claims to know Matt Hancock and I was once in the same room as he was. Will that do? Unfortunately, I don't like horses.

MaizieD Wed 14-Oct-20 21:23:26

Thanks for your post at 19.16, growstuff, saved me a job and it's nice to know that I'm not alone. grin

People hear the 'government can issue money' bit and don't look further to see the 'it comes back to them via tax' bit. hmm

MaizieD Wed 14-Oct-20 21:25:15

I know someone whose son knows someone who knows Dominic Cummings.

(and I'm an experienced user of portaloos..)

Shall we go into partnership growstuff?

MaizieD Wed 14-Oct-20 21:29:37

MaizieD

I know someone whose son knows someone who knows Dominic Cummings.

(and I'm an experienced user of portaloos..)

Shall we go into partnership growstuff?

And I'm pretty experienced with horses, so could compensate for your deficit in that field....

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 23:02:44

There is nothing to be gained by comparing one pandemic with another. I too remember the Hong Kong flu epidemic of the late 1960s, also the Asian flu of in 1958.

But those were flu epidemics and were not as severe nor as lethal as COVID. There were already proven drug therapies to deal with the symptoms and while hospitals were stretched, they were not overwhelmed.

COVID is an entirely different virus, it is more severe and more lethal than many of the flu pandemics and we now live in a very different world where people are always on the move, both within the country and overseas, so diseases can be spread much more quickly than before.

When the lockdown was first implemented, it was to stop the hospitals being driven to breakdown by being overwhelmed by serious and fatal cases. by reducing the numbers getting the disease, it also gave medical researchers time to develop treatments and test drugs that could be used. The second wave is now with us, far fewer are ending up in hospital and still fewer dying because effective therapies have been developed.

Wearing a mask is such a trivial thing and this fuss about them is just a storm in a tea cup. 95% plus of the population have no problems using them, you can just keep one in a pocket or handbag and pull it out when needed. Those that cannot wear them should shield and not go into places where they are required.

That is one thing. However we look to our government to take control in situations like this, and after acceptable early weeks confusion with the sudden onset of a serious disease, we expect that after this they will develop a coherent and consistent strategy that can respond to the vagaries of the disease and provide the country with a clear path that is being followed and with consistent and forecastable responses. We expect them to realise in advance that if you shut all pubs at 10.00pm. A whole lot of people will spill out of them into the streets at that time, making social distancing impossible.

Likewise if you announce on Wednesday that the 10.00 curfew will come in on Friday, then Thursday night will be party night. Foreseeing that is really not rocket science.

The current government, regardless of its political persuasion, are out of their depth and still disorganised They are like little boys with pop guns running around wildly shouting 'bang, bang you are dead!' and running into trees and tripping up in puddles. When the government is in such dissaray they lose the respect of those they are meant to govern and cannot be surprised if more and more people ignore everything they say.

growstuff Thu 15-Oct-20 00:02:21

Very well said MOnica!

Cue people coming along and telling you that should be behind the government because we need a united front. hmm

vegansrock Thu 15-Oct-20 04:42:08

Or we’ll get the “government are doing their best and we mustn’t criticise” brigade.

Hetty58 Thu 15-Oct-20 04:52:59

Spot on M0nica - and yes, we await the criticisms.

Why did they ignore the SAGE advice for a (short, little) 2 week lockdown?

Please don't say it's fears for the economy. That just doesn't make sense.

Don't they know that 'A stitch in time saves nine'?

Grany Thu 15-Oct-20 08:14:56

THE REAL NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS: A US TRADE DEAL IN THE MIDDLE OF COVID

Did you see the 12 October Dispatches programme on US food standards?

Despite the fact we’re in the middle of a pandemic, the government is pushing forward with a US trade deal. We know what this means: lower food standards allowing hormone-laced beef and chlorinated chicken to flood the market, deregulation of our environmental laws, putting our workers’ rights at risk and permanently opening up the NHS to American healthcare companies.

We can stop it, but we need to make our voices heard.

On October 24, we are joining Global Justice Now, Stop Trump, War on Want, Keep Our NHS Public and others to call a Day of Action against the US Trade Deal.

Up and down the country, people will be standing up for our health, our rights, our planet and our public services.

www.anothereurope.org/the-real-nightmare-before-christmas-a-us-trade-deal-in-the-middle-of-covid/

Pantglas2 Thu 15-Oct-20 09:18:07

Well said Monica and I would apply your post to our very own King Canute here in Wales - who thinks he’ll be the first Welshman in history to keep the English out of Wales!