Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where are Starmer's famous human rights' beliefs?

(31 Posts)
trisher Thu 15-Oct-20 13:34:17

So LP MPs are to abstain over the so called "Spy cops" bill. One member of the shadow cabinet has resigned over the issue. Starmer is apparently meeting MPs who might be a bit wobbly in person. But why? Shouldn't he be speaking out loudly about this legislation which effectively gives under cover officers the right to murder or assault anyone without any fear of punishment. Those who have been blacklisted and spied on for their activities are seriously worried. tribunemag.co.uk/2020/10/exclusive-dan-carden-resigns-from-labour-frontbench-over-chis-bill?fbclid=IwAR2hhTrEP540tEBTLNfzoqNcT2OJPC8XZQE2Tp7a3HmXj41Mo-QYnAkUi3E

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 10:06:10

Bodach it has been posted that the undercover cops are needed for our protection from crime and terrorism. I simply thought you should realise that's not all they are doing. They may of couurse once this bill is passed choose to infiltrate an organisation, act as an agitator and instigate crimes, inform about these, then escape scot free. No threat to our civil liberties then?

Ilovecheese Fri 16-Oct-20 16:29:41

I just want to quote some words by the journalist George Monibot

" I have seen the devastating impacts on women I know, after undercover police officers were sent by their superiors to form relationships with them, and even father children with them, while pretending to be someone else. MPs have now voted to legalise these and other abuses.
These were entirely innocent people, abused and lied to, their bodies used, solely to provide these police officers with cover. Can you imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end of that? How it would trash your entire life?
If Labour can't oppose this, what's it for?"

I just think it is so sad. Keir Starmer knew about these abuses, but still didn't vote to try to prevent them happening again. Why is it that some people think that they must look uncaring in order to appear strong.
Not wanting women to be abused does not mean not caring about national security.

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 21:01:58

Thanks Ilovecheese I think we sometimes forget the individual stories that are reality. I not sure what the LP is becoming but I don't like it much.

biba70 Fri 16-Oct-20 21:46:20

Sure, the Tory party alternative is much much better. Or?

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 22:27:44

Well biba70 I'd rather have a wolf that looks like a wolf than one in sheep's clothing. So do you support this Bill?