Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris' 'oven ready' deal becomes 'No Deal'

(263 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 16-Oct-20 12:20:43

Can I ask what the GN leave voters think about this without the thread descending into vitriol please?

Jaberwok Fri 16-Oct-20 14:59:11

and, not as...

vegansrock Fri 16-Oct-20 15:09:46

If you changed Johnson’s “Australia” deal to “Somalia” deal ( which is the same thing) - would leavers be so positive?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:21:52

Can someone tell me what deal Australia has with the EU?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:25:06

Oh joy. Businesses must be having total breakdowns.

Covid has brought them to their knees and a no deal will completely finish them off.

I just hope that the 7000 lorry park is big enough. The disruption will be huge.

Dinahmo Fri 16-Oct-20 15:34:05

www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-industry-or-brexits-red-herrings/a-51418061

A rather long but interesting article about the UK fishing industry. Believe it or not, the UK imports 70% of the fish that it eats and exports 80% of the fish that it catches. It's been said several times that 29% of the UK quotas are held by 5 families.

The contribution to the UK's GDP is tiny and only 24,000 people are employed in the fishing industry.

Rather than complaining about quotas we should rather complain about the enormous trawlers and the damage that they do in fishing waters around the UK and Europe.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Oct-20 15:40:42

End of an Era as well as this country !

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:47:25

I know Cummings wants a no deal, but let’s hope this is bluster

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:53:38

Does anyone know if there is a legal framework in place to keep our planes flying post brexit?

MayBee70 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:04:17

Dinahmo

www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-industry-or-brexits-red-herrings/a-51418061

A rather long but interesting article about the UK fishing industry. Believe it or not, the UK imports 70% of the fish that it eats and exports 80% of the fish that it catches. It's been said several times that 29% of the UK quotas are held by 5 families.

The contribution to the UK's GDP is tiny and only 24,000 people are employed in the fishing industry.

Rather than complaining about quotas we should rather complain about the enormous trawlers and the damage that they do in fishing waters around the UK and Europe.

There is an online petition about supertrawlers: I think someone did a link to it recently. As for everything else about fishing it’s been pointed out since before the referendum that fishing contributes very little to the economy and that many fishing rights had been sold off to other countries but people just have tunnel vision when it comes to fishing I’m afraid.

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 16:25:33

Whitewavemark2 What Cummings wants Cummings usually gets.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:29:13

I wonder how many voted for no deal? I bet very few indeed.

PECS Fri 16-Oct-20 17:18:15

I feel that there will be significant benefits as a result of a no deal Brexit.

Unfortunately I am yet to be convinced that the beneficiaries are going to be the ordinary tax payers of the UK.

The group of leave voters who voted for xenophobic reasons are not likely to have their hopes met.

The nostalgic leave voters who wanted a country "as it was" before we joined will be disappointed as the world has moved on regardless of our EU membership.

That leaves those who wanted an EU divorce for financial & bereaucratic reasons... it seems to me that that is disappearing fast too as the USA, China & Russia slip into the role of controlling trade..and UK does not hold any trump cards. Lose Lose .

I just hope we are not vulnerable to be used as a pawn by the big players in defence situations as we have rejected the protection of our allies in the European Union.

vegansrock Fri 16-Oct-20 17:19:40

Brexit fans do know that the Spanish and Irish own most fishing in the U.K., having been sold off by their owners, plus fishing is as important to the economy as Poundland.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 17:21:16

It will be a wonderful New Years gift for the hedge fund managers. It will be gifts that people like ourselves will never see in our entire lifetime.

vegansrock Fri 16-Oct-20 17:33:57

I think by”Australia deal” Johnson means WTO rules i.e. no free trade deal - same as Somalia.

MayBee70 Fri 16-Oct-20 17:40:59

Is the Australia deal oven ready, that’s the important thing....

vegansrock Fri 16-Oct-20 17:48:46

well they’ve got all the portaloos ready.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 17:56:10

I truly never thought it would get to this, I honestly thought that our government would always have the National interest at heart.

How wrong I was.

I see Cummings has told Barnier that he is no longer welcome on Monday.

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 17:58:02

vegansrock

Brexit fans do know that the Spanish and Irish own most fishing in the U.K., having been sold off by their owners, plus fishing is as important to the economy as Poundland.

Why ? because of the negligence of our representative on the EU Fishing Committee who allowed the UK to sell off its fishing quota with rusty old boats.

Perhaps, because he missed 41 meetings out of 42, our representative did not notice that other EU countries were protecting their fishing industries by protecting their quotas.

Which useless MEP was our representative on the EU Fishing Committee?

NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Oct-20 17:58:29

Maybe70 - why are we so blinkered about fishing? It makes no sense to me!

MaizieD Fri 16-Oct-20 18:06:57

I see Cummings has told Barnier that he is no longer welcome on Monday.

I have to read that several times to take it in! Where did that little snippet come from, WWMk2?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 18:09:18

The news on Sky I think. Well Cummings. Name wasn’t mentioned, but the rest is accurate.

The talks were due to resume on Monday - they’ve told Barnier not to bother.

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 18:09:53

Since no-one else has answered I will tell you - our representative on the EU Fishing Committee who sold out the British Fishing industry was Nigel Farage.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Oct-20 18:14:54

They said it was David Frost who said that to Barnier, but that is way above his pay grade.

MaizieD Fri 16-Oct-20 18:28:32

I'm suddenly really suspicious about all this. It's posturing really. I think we're all meant to feel really bad about the prospect of no deal and then our plucky little negotiators will pull something out of the bag at the last moment. It'll be a bloody awful deal but it'll be sold as world beating, of course.

It won't stop January and beyond being utter chaos, though, because no-one is prepared because no-one knew what to prepare for.