Gransnet forums

News & politics

We need a coup

(513 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 13:52:01

Whether it is an internal Tory overthrow or another political group, we need the current criminal incompetents removed from power. They are willfully causing needless C19 deaths and in-full-view pocketing tax payer money with only the flimsiest of attempts to pretend they're not.

I'm no Tory (god forbid) but bloody hell, what we need now is a Margaret Thatcher to sort this unholy mess Boris and his buddies are making.

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 16:00:47

Well lets face it GG13, they won't go willingly, will they? That is what coup means. The police are powerless to stop them when they break rules. They steal from the public purse and no one stops them. They lie, on camera, in front of the world and nothing happens. How else do you suggest they are held to account? If they do this when the nation is in crisis, what are they capable of in normal times?

And no, I haven't been drinking. I have been marking student work. I am a functioning and productive member of society, unlike the vast majority of our government.

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Oct-20 16:04:55

EllanVannin

It's screaming out loud that we should have had a total lockdown, no ifs, no buts.

What is "screaming out loud" to me is that people should have followed the rules ..... whereas we are all aware, even here on GN, that people haven't.

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 16:06:13

Sparklefizz

EllanVannin

It's screaming out loud that we should have had a total lockdown, no ifs, no buts.

What is "screaming out loud" to me is that people should have followed the rules ..... whereas we are all aware, even here on GN, that people haven't.

And in that case, they should put the army on the streets. During the last lockdown, the army were preparing for it.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Oct-20 16:07:31

Other countries will have got rid while we here will still be pussy-footing around and dithering with lockdowns for the next 12 months.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Oct-20 16:10:15

Yes, the army, anything to make people understand as clearly they don't.
I wonder if those who swanned off during the summer without a care have contracted it ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:10:27

The army were part of the logistics team moving supplies around the UK. Gagajo

If our armed forces were mobilised onto UK streets there would be thread after thread on GN decrying the decision.

sodapop Thu 22-Oct-20 16:11:04

I am not naive enough to believe a word of the propaganda that comes out of China EV

I think we cannot continue with the lock down approach to dealing with the virus. More people are dying from other things now than the virus, we are creating a disastrous situation for our children's future and that of our grandchildren. We need to look more toward supporting vulnerable people and start a gradual return to a more normal way of life for others.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:11:10

"You talk of changes being made legally . . . Our leaders are criminals. Someone needs to take them out." But not with a coup that is void of legality, but not by"taking them out" if by that you mean by force or worse. Any replacement regime must be legitimate and have no blood on its hands or skeletons in its cupboard. Anything less would be to descend to the level of a third-world dictatorship, characterised by tyranny and modified by assassination.

3nanny6 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:14:53

It's all posturing and rule making a far as I am concerned all this tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 is getting out of hand and all the different parts of the country are doing there own thing. I keep hearing people talk about Scotland Wales England and N.
Ireland and the division amongst all of them and it is correct we should all be in this together.

I am not in one of the highest tier areas but there are still restrictions in place. One of my local shops that I was in yesterday was busy and this thing about face coverings is a joke and I can say that about 1 person in 7 was wearing a face covering. I asked the manager what is going on in here and he said he had no enforcement to make people cover the face. So to me it is sodding ridiculous. Where I live even if we went into tier 3 at least 50% of people would be breaking the rules.

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 16:17:50

Other countries will have got rid while we here will still be pussy-footing around and dithering with lockdowns for the next 12 months. Exactly EV. Prolonging the pain.

I am not naive enough to believe a word of the propaganda that comes out of China EV Really Sodapop? How about the word of a Geordie teacher, living there. In our conversation last week, 'Life is back to normal.' In the words of a 31 year old Surrey girl, living there, gave birth there a few months ago. 'I feel safer here than I would at home.* The virus started there, but it has also ended there, while we stand and watch our people die.

Anything less would be to descend to the level of a third-world dictatorship, characterised by tyranny We are already there Elegran. They are stealing the money needed to save lives. Much as 3rd world dictators do with aid they are given. They are breaking the laws and rules made to protect us. As dictators do.

We really need to wake up. How much worse does it have to get before we realise, they need to be got rid of?

rafichagran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:22:06

Definatly agree with M0nica on this one. No way should there be a coup.

3nanny6 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:24:54

In that case so many people should not have voted them in.

They did vote them in and that's what we have got, are you saying to do anything illegal to bring about their demise?

That would put a lot of people in prison.

Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:29:48

For goodness sake. We are not some sort of banana republic. Get a grip. You don't like the govt. They don't act in a perfect way in this far from perfect situation but no govt could possibly do exactly the right thing to suit everyone. Election will come round again.

Grany Thu 22-Oct-20 16:30:05

Yes there needs to be something talking is not enough

Remove the Tory Government is still going don't know how many members though.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:31:18

Sodapop I agree, I saw an interview with a young couple with three young children three weeks ago, all her cancer treatment had stopped due to the first Covid lockdown, he posted at the beginning of this week that she had died.

The WHO has come out and said that lockdowns are not an efficient way to deal with Covid.

People check into restaurants/cafes/bars and change one digit in their phone number / enter a fictitious address. There was even a thread on GN last week where the OP said she had an old pay as you go phone that she gave as her contact details, but she had no intention of ever turning it on.

Whatever the Government of the day does/legislates you cannot eliminate human stupidity.

Unfortunately in all walks of life it is not what you know but who you know and the present Government have taken it to the extreme.

Taking all of the above into consideration a coup is totally unthinkable in a freedom loving Western nation.

petra Thu 22-Oct-20 16:37:51

Come the revolution brother, the Rolls Royce is mine. Although now it would be something more expensive.
That's usually how revolutions go. You only have to look at revolutions and see who were the winners and losers.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Oct-20 16:40:20

I'm sure this will be of no comfort to the ones whose furloughs end next week, not knowing if their jobs still exist. Will UC cover mortgages and rents ? I hardly think so. It also marks the end of the mortgage " holiday " with the fools who fell for it and who are unfortunate to live in a tier 3 area.
More hardship to come. Bet they won't be talking about Christmas !

growstuff Thu 22-Oct-20 16:44:19

Davidhs

Not a coup, or even an overthrow, yet. BJ will be replaced, next spring is my guess then a new team will take over. Hunt didn’t impress me although I’m sure he is a nice guy, Gove is my bet and the first dismissal will be Cummings.

My guess it would be Gove, but wouldn't the Conservative Party have to select him? I'm not sure he's that popular.

If Gove does become leader, I could almost guarantee that Cummings wouldn't go. Cummings was Gove's right hand man at the Department for Education and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the two of them are still working together behind Johnson's back.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:50:19

If the membership of the Conservative Party vote for Gove, Cummins will definitely stay!!!

I like to think that the members would have realised that to keep Cummins as a SPAD would be deeply unpopular with the general public and therefore not vote for Gove.

Janpt Thu 22-Oct-20 16:51:24

I see that you have all ignored the disgusting behaviour of the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Angela Rayner. What an example she sets. Does she make you proud to support the Labour Party ?

growstuff Thu 22-Oct-20 16:52:44

EllanVannin

I'm sure this will be of no comfort to the ones whose furloughs end next week, not knowing if their jobs still exist. Will UC cover mortgages and rents ? I hardly think so. It also marks the end of the mortgage " holiday " with the fools who fell for it and who are unfortunate to live in a tier 3 area.
More hardship to come. Bet they won't be talking about Christmas !

UC doesn't pay anything towards mortgages for the first nine months. Then, people are given a repayable loan for the interest only. That means they will have to pay it back one day and will have to find the money to pay any capital repayments.

UC doesn't usually cover the full cost of rents or council tax either. The government is about to reduce UC by £20, so people will have to subsidise their housing out of £73 for a single person.

There are millions of people, who have never had to claim benefits, who are in for a shock.

Callistemon Thu 22-Oct-20 16:54:24

We need a coup

BUT - if we did have a coup by HM's Armed Forces, everything would be organised far more efficiently and Cummings would be history.

Not that I am advocating that, of course, but every cloud has a silver lining, although I'm finding it difficult to see one at the moment.

growstuff Thu 22-Oct-20 16:54:54

GrannyGravy13

If the membership of the Conservative Party vote for Gove, Cummins will definitely stay!!!

I like to think that the members would have realised that to keep Cummins as a SPAD would be deeply unpopular with the general public and therefore not vote for Gove.

I agree that Cummings would definitely stay, but I hope you're right that members would see how toxic he is.

PS. Have you seen the hundreds of negative comments on Essex County Council's Facebook page?

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 16:55:15

Janpt

I see that you have all ignored the disgusting behaviour of the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Angela Rayner. What an example she sets. Does she make you proud to support the Labour Party ?

Can you not put aside party politics for now? The LP are not the ones supposed to be leading us through this crisis. I would go as far as to say they are irrelevant.

growstuff Thu 22-Oct-20 16:56:50

Callistemon

^We need a coup^

BUT - if we did have a coup by HM's Armed Forces, everything would be organised far more efficiently and Cummings would be history.

Not that I am advocating that, of course, but every cloud has a silver lining, although I'm finding it difficult to see one at the moment.

It crossed my mind a few weeks ago when I read about armed forces redundancies that they could have sorted out procurement and test/trace more efficiently than the current mob.