Gransnet forums

News & politics

Populism on a sharp decline

(71 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 07:52:12

You-gov survey in 25 countries throughout Europe shows that people are rejecting key statements of populism.

Good.

(Probably because they look at the failing government in the U.K.)

People are rejecting emotional responses in favour of listening to experts, like scientist and facts.

I think the decline will get a big boost if Trump loses as well.

Johnson will be on the wrong side of history.

varian Fri 30-Oct-20 12:44:45

The last election should never have happened. We have a fixed term parliament act. The opposition parties made a serious mistake in agreeing to it.

There should have been a confirmatory referendum when the terms for leaving the EU were known. I believe that would have resulted in a resounding Remain win and we would not be in this appalling state.

growstuff Thu 29-Oct-20 19:09:27

sparklingsilver28

varian well if your reading of Brexit result correct how come Britain has left the EU?

BJ believed to be the only one willing to deliver the result why he is PM. Once truly over the line he will be gone.

The last election was not a second referendum on the EU.

People voted Conservative for a variety of reasons, not just because they agreed with leaving the EU. Our voting system resulted in a huge majority for the Conservatives, but I do not accept that it accurately reflects the mood of the country on the EU or anything else for that matter. It doesn't even reflect the way votes were cast.

varian Thu 29-Oct-20 18:54:01

We have left the EU firstly because of the fraudulent referendum which was won by lies, cheating and foreign interference and secondly because of our undemocratic FPTP voting system which allowed a party which most voters opposed to gain an eighty seat majority in the HoC.

sparklingsilver28 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:25:16

varian well if your reading of Brexit result correct how come Britain has left the EU?

BJ believed to be the only one willing to deliver the result why he is PM. Once truly over the line he will be gone.

varian Thu 29-Oct-20 17:43:04

The Remain side has almost always been in the majority since 2016, but it is good to see that majority growing.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 13:26:58

Populism is losing its touch

Cindersdad Thu 29-Oct-20 12:15:44

Hitler came to Power through populism and we don't want another Hitler do we?

Populists seem to appeal to the disaffected elements in society when other leaders have failed them.

I really hope that Trump, Boris and others likes them get kicked into touch. Sadly there are still those who believe in them despite their persistent lies and broken promises.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:42:10

Alexa

Amy Coney Barret election brings the state of Gilead (The |Handmaids Tale) closer to reality.

On CNN yesterday they were talking about if the democrats get in what can be done. It could be as simple as employing another judge.

Alexa Thu 29-Oct-20 09:28:16

Amy Coney Barret election brings the state of Gilead (The |Handmaids Tale) closer to reality.

varian Thu 29-Oct-20 09:11:19

You may prefer "alternative facts" lemon but it is true that most British people did not vote for this shambles, which has not only damaged our country but also our relationships with the rest of the world, especially our nearest neighbours. We should all apologise, even though most of us never supported the brexit nonsense.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:45:23

Next Tuesday will be one of the most important days, not just for the USA but also for the U.K.

The demise of Trump will have repercussions that will hopefully spell the death knell for division.

lemongrove Thu 29-Oct-20 08:16:13

varian

If I ever met a foreigner these days, especially someone from the EU, I would have to be equally apologetic and explain that most British people do not, and never have supported brexit or our appalling Vote Leave government.

It wouldn’t be true to say that.....and the ‘foreigner’ may think you very odd for saying it.

Davidhs Thu 29-Oct-20 08:07:50

PECS. I went to the US last November with my OH to visit her Brother and Sister , he is a staunch Republican, she a staunch Democrat, they don’t speak to each other but are perfectly normal otherwise. Politics in the US is so polarized, to the point of hatred, that aside we had a lovely time touring, Washington, Virginia, N Carolina, ending in Nashville.

varian Wed 28-Oct-20 19:13:41

If I ever met a foreigner these days, especially someone from the EU, I would have to be equally apologetic and explain that most British people do not, and never have supported brexit or our appalling Vote Leave government.

PECS Wed 28-Oct-20 18:06:10

Davidhs I have a friend who has moved to Canada..the catalyst was the referendum..admittedly not during a pandemic.. but good to have an escape planned ?
DH & I visited USA shortly after Trump was elected. Almost everyone we spoke to, including the Amtrak steward & a cashier in a dept store, all apologised that he had been elected & wanted us as tourists to know all USAmericans are not Trump fans!

varian Wed 28-Oct-20 18:05:34

Well done Ug. Perhaps you might like to give some friendly advice to janpt

Iam64 Wed 28-Oct-20 17:36:07

Respect and a friendly smile from me Urmstongran.

MayBee70 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:30:18

Respect from me for that UG, too. x

Urmstongran Wed 28-Oct-20 08:14:46

Thank you WW
?
A lesson learnt by me.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:11:17

Urmstongran

Actually WW I want to apologise sincerely for my mean post. I was being a smart-mouth and thought I was being amusing but with hindsight it wasn’t.

I was going to ask GNHQ just to delete my post but then I thought ‘no, a few people will have read it already’ and feel an apology is better.

I was being flippant and silly and I hope you will forgive me.

How kind of you and you are a bigger person for your apology?.

Just to say I LOVE parties and it is one if those things I am missing.

Actually I have only just seen this as I was busy yesterday, doing not a lot?

Urmstongran Wed 28-Oct-20 08:04:48

Actually WW I want to apologise sincerely for my mean post. I was being a smart-mouth and thought I was being amusing but with hindsight it wasn’t.

I was going to ask GNHQ just to delete my post but then I thought ‘no, a few people will have read it already’ and feel an apology is better.

I was being flippant and silly and I hope you will forgive me.

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 22:36:46

I remember a poster on GN saying she would move to Scotland if Johnson won! Needless to say, it’s all rhetoric and doesn’t mean that anyone is uneducated, British or American.

Dinahmo Tue 27-Oct-20 22:26:56

MayBee70

I just saw a Trump supporter on Ch4 News say that if Biden wins she’ll move to Canada. Can anyone make sense of that?

It's an example of how uneducated some Americans are.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 22:18:18

MaizieD

petra

Urmstongran
Did you see that. And yet another assumption that we don't read anything. So predictable.

Have you read it then?

Either of you?

Exactly!

MaizieD Tue 27-Oct-20 22:15:08

Urmstongran

Whitewavemark2

To my mind it is a parasitic ideology that sits on the back of mainstream ideologies which are themselves grounded in a wide systematic set of beliefs

Good grief.
Do you talk this way in real life?

Do you ever find yourself sitting alone at parties?
?

God, the anti-intellectuals are out in force today...

with their ad hominems at the ready grin