Gransnet forums

News & politics

Something for lockdown sceptics

(7 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 17:02:48

Toby Young is not someone I regards as worth listening to.

Baggs Thu 12-Nov-20 17:00:47

The argument of authority convinces many, river, always. Having opinions about stuff and expressing them in an intelligent way, as these two do, is always interesting, don’t you think? Did you actually listen to the discussion?

Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 16:04:44

Baggs as I've posted elsewhere on GN, do you really think every single country in the world, and the scientists therein, are fools?

Young & Shriver have no qualifications in epidemiology as far as I'm aware so why do set any store in what they have to say on this matter?

Young founded a successful free school near where I used to live and Shriver wrote one of the best books I've ever read, but as for their views on Covid, I'll give them a wide berth.

Baggs Thu 12-Nov-20 15:17:56

PS B9, it's quite possible that I actually read a transcript of the interview rather than listening as that is my wont unless i've got some crochet to do while listening. I can't remember though and it didn't show up on the ggl search.

Baggs Thu 12-Nov-20 15:10:34

No, sorry. I listened to it aeons ago. If you google Lionel Shriver on coronavirus though, there are gazillions* of links. Basically she thinks covid has been oversold. I tend to agree because, for example, the media is shrieking* about the 230,000 covid deaths in the US as if a tiny fraction of 1% of the US population dying of something were a big deal. Ditto here in the UK.

* Exaggerate? Who, me?

B9exchange Thu 05-Nov-20 21:34:39

It's a long podcast to listen to, could you give us the gist of it?

Baggs Tue 27-Oct-20 12:29:53

A Quillette podcast where Toby Young is talking to the novelist, Lionel Shriver. I found it interesting.