Gransnet forums

News & politics

Since 1967, the Palestinian people are being destroyed in the most inhumane of ways

(124 Posts)
biba70 Thu 05-Nov-20 08:41:52

Israeli forces leave 41 children homeless after razing Palestinian village, UN says

Demolitions used as a ‘key means’ to ‘coerce Palestinians to leave their homes’

Denouncing this is not antisemitic.

Jane10 Sat 07-Nov-20 22:37:48

lemongrove- but for the Palestinians peaceful diplomatic talks haven't made a blind bit of difference and Israel continues to persecute them. Its simply not fair and its not right and its extremely hard to understand why the world doesn't see that. No need for obfuscation and whataboutery.

pinkquartz Sat 07-Nov-20 23:02:33

[Davidhs]

"The only solution is for the Islamic world to accept Israel’s right to exist and integrate the Palestinians. It’s not reasonable it’s not fair but the only alternative is for the existing stand off where their neighbours dispute their tight to exist."

this would be a good solution I agree

pinkquartz Sat 07-Nov-20 23:04:49

Also why doesn't the world care that the Chinee have been exterminating and torturing Tibetans and stolen their country since 1953?

Callistemon Sat 07-Nov-20 23:12:24

No, there are many forgotten causes.
Syria is no longer in the news.

Some causes are just not "fashionable".

tickingbird Sun 08-Nov-20 08:44:59

No trisher the tennis hasn’t finished. I shall be watching the final today.

I am about to set off on a 32 mile cycle, then cook the Sunday lunch for my widowed son and grandsons - due to lockdown I will wrap it in foil, place the gravy in a Tupperware container and when he pulls onto the drive I’ll place it in an insulated bag outside the door. After he leaves I’ll eat my lunch, load the dishwasher, make a cup of tea then settle down to watch the Men’s final. I may respond to you after but I can’t promise; it’s likely one of my friends will ring - she normally does on Sunday. However, I WILL respond to you when I have the inclination and the time.

tickingbird Sun 08-Nov-20 08:48:39

Jane10 I have not been aggressive to you and you know nothing about me. You make ill judged comments about Jews to a Jewish person?? I stand by my responses to you, none of which have been aggressive.

lemongrove Sun 08-Nov-20 08:57:37

Jane10

*lemongrove*- but for the Palestinians peaceful diplomatic talks haven't made a blind bit of difference and Israel continues to persecute them. Its simply not fair and its not right and its extremely hard to understand why the world doesn't see that. No need for obfuscation and whataboutery.

I wasn’t aware that I had used any whataboutery or obfuscation Jane ...in fact I have tried to be objective and am sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.
What is needed is for Palestinian leaders to recognise publicly that the State of Israel is legitimate ( as well as a reality) and to stamp down on any further acts of violence from their side.
What is needed from Israeli leaders is that the realisation that it’s better to have good neighbours if at all possible and get
Palestinians to come over to your side, allow them some
pride and standing and tear down the walls.This is a bit simplistic of course, but we all know what roughly, both sides should do.It’s the doing of it from both sides that’s the problem.

Iam64 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:05:23

This is a bit simplistic of course, but we all know roughly, both sides should do. It's the doing of it from both sides that's the problem

This reminds me of the Good Friday Agreement. Reached after tireless work by politicians and activists on all sides. It isn't perfect but it has to be better than the troubles. Than innocent women, children and men blown to smithereens". Sadly, young people in the North of Ireland are still being groomed and seduced into murdering people in support of perceived historical injustices. There are no simple solutions. It may be that Mr Johnson achieves a United Ireland because of Brexit but that's another discussion.

lemongrove Sun 08-Nov-20 09:12:07

I have an Irish background and have always thought that Ireland should be united, it will be one day and tbh if Brexit makes it sooner rather than later then it’s all good, as they say, in my opinion.

Iam64 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:16:43

I'm with you lemongrove. I seem to recall there was a referendum in the early 1970's but the vote was to remain divided. I don't see how the border can be effectively maintained once the UK leaves the EU and Eire remains in the EU.
So a united Ireland may be one positive outcome.

Davidhs Sun 08-Nov-20 09:45:31

There aren’t the fanatically held religious divisions in Ireland these days, removing the border made it one step easier for Catholics in the north. There is however still plenty of discrimination against Catholics, we can only hope that whatever the Brexit outcome improves equality.

Iam64 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:47:47

Religion may not have quite the hold it did fifty years ago but the divide remains. Cultural wars like those dreadful Orange marches, totally unnecessary and divisive.
Maybe this should be a different thread

trisher Sun 08-Nov-20 11:55:19

tickingbird my sons cook their own and their families lunches. They even cook for me from time to time. In fact their yorkshire puddings are sometimes better than mine.
Enjoy the tennis
lemon a united Ireland knew there must be something we could agree on!

biba70 Sun 08-Nov-20 18:48:12

''What is needed is for Palestinian leaders to recognise publicly that the State of Israel is legitimate ( as well as a reality) and to stamp down on any further acts of violence from their side.''

how can they recognise the legitimacy of the massive expansion into Palestinian land, the destruction of communities and the constant attacks on civilian communities. Do you have any idea of the location and size of the orignial size of the Israel territory, and what has happened since.

biba70 Sun 08-Nov-20 19:08:52

Homes destroyed, 1000 year old olive groves burnt or bulldozed, and water sources deliberately polluted or diverted, and worse. The land has to be restituted and funds provided to restore- although 1000 year old olive groves just cannot be.

Jane10 Sun 08-Nov-20 21:30:50

angryangryangry
How can this be remotely excusable?!

paddyanne Sun 08-Nov-20 22:46:27

The Israeli government is illegally moving into areas that were never on the original plans.I have a map of the area before the second world war and it is PALESTINE ,that of course includes areas now carved up into Arab states.The refusal of the Israeli government to abide by UN resolutions over the settlements has never been dealt with in ANY way .I understand its sensitive but Israel cant hold the rest of us to ransom because of things that happened before many of us were born.There should be NO special treatment .
As I said in my first post I am a memeber of a Pro Palestinian organisation in Scotland .we number amongst us many from the Jewish community who march with us and raise funds.
This is not anti semitic its about justice and not pandering to the nonsense of a "right" to a certain area ..a chosen people .
Fairy tales like that belong in the past.The area that was handed over in 1948 was clear and should not have been breached .There may have been a chance of a peaceful existence if Israel ahd just stuck to the plan.

paddyanne Sun 08-Nov-20 22:47:40

Its a misconception that the "troubles" were just about religion..it was a civil rights fight .

Alexa Sun 15-Nov-20 10:56:50

Jane , the illegal settlers who steal Palestinian lands excuse their theft as taking the land God gave them as Zion. It is an example of religious myth being used for colonialism.

TheSilverSurfingQueen Sun 15-Nov-20 19:36:23

PaddyAnne,
I find what you have you said utterly insulting, how dare you.

biba70 Sun 15-Nov-20 19:41:14

How, why? Which part?

No insults there, just plain truth.

Grany Sun 15-Nov-20 19:48:20

TheSilverSurfingQueen What do you find insulting what Paddyanne said?
It is horrific how the Palestinians are being treated their land taken homes destroyed being shot at its wicked. The world stands by.

tickingbird Fri 04-Dec-20 11:25:20

Took me a while to find this. Trisher I never did get to cook lunch that day as came off my bike on tram tracks and broke my collarbone among other things. It’s my right arm. It’s still not right and I am doing this with my left hand. I will be back!! Merry Christmas everyone.