Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new name for the UK - Plague Island

(110 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Dec-20 23:28:30

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid

The most depressing thing I think I've read all year - some opinions from the world's media. We really are cut off from the rest of the world. All that talk of sunny uplands being just ahead is absolute nonsense.

MaizieD Wed 23-Dec-20 10:53:59

Ellianne

Exactly what I'm saying cupaffull, the rest of Europe is hanging onto our findings. The only other country up there with the UK on this genomics information is Denmark with its discovery of the mutant strain in minks.

So the Danes promptly got rid of the minks.
As the rest of the world can't order the eradication of the British to stop the mutant strain spreading they've done the only thing open to them and closed their borders to us.

All this 'plague island' stuff is just journalistic nonsense. I don't understand why anyone gives it a second thought.

The most worrying aspect of this strain is that it has appeared when our completely useless government has no idea how to cope with it, and doesn't have any real interest in promoting the welfare of its citizens anyway.

Urmstongran Wed 23-Dec-20 10:57:33

Most of these won’t be ‘driving home for Christmas ‘.
☹️
No wonder the truckers are getting angry now at Macron. Been listening to them venting on the news.

MaizieD Wed 23-Dec-20 10:58:15

Galaxy

Dear god. The antagonism towards Europe is breathtaking to behold.

Isn't it just..

"We love Europe because it's a brilliant place to escape to for months on end from rainy old UK, but we really don't like the people who live there.."

Urmstongran Wed 23-Dec-20 11:02:09

Some of us just love Europe but not the EU.
Plus - we’d rather live in the UK .

Choices!
??

Firecracker123 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:02:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Dinahmo Wed 23-Dec-20 11:06:30

The article is not just about covid. The emphasis is on how the UK state has dealt with it. The promises, the lies, the U-turns and Johnson's inability to come to terms with being the bearer of bad news.

Vampirequeen I posted on here several months ago after reading an article in the Guardian) about the after effects of covid amongst the young. I suggested that perhaps those of you children or young adult grandchildren could warn them about the effects of the illness. I was shot down in flames by several GNers.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:10:22

I love Europe, I just do not like how the EEC has morphed into the EU (United States of Europe).

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:21:10

We are not the only country with the new strain. On the news last night, it cited many places in Europe, South Africa and Australia! We and South Africa have the scientists who have traced it first, so it makes sense we’ll have it. Other countries will have it when they look for it.
Macron shut the borders because he’s miffed about Brexit, and saw Covid as being the perfect excuse, and gave that as the reason. To me, the port of Dover had become a perfect breeding ground for it! At least now, they’re starting to move, and hopefully those poor drivers will be home for Christmas, covid free.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 11:24:36

Vampirequeen I posted on here several months ago after reading an article in the Guardian) about the after effects of covid amongst the young. I suggested that perhaps those of you children or young adult grandchildren could warn them about the effects of the illness.

Yes, Dinahmo and it has been reported and discussed on TV several times.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:37:40

Good grief. It seems to me that one of the problems this country has is the fact that everything that happens is always someone else’s fault, especially those pesky furriners. No acknowledgement that we are capable of ever being partly at fault.

moggie57 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:42:33

we had the plague before without modern medicine .. actually its called LAND OF HOPE and glory... its like churchill said we will fight this plague we will never give up.....

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:44:24

MayBee70

Good grief. It seems to me that one of the problems this country has is the fact that everything that happens is always someone else’s fault, especially those pesky furriners. No acknowledgement that we are capable of ever being partly at fault.

It is the populist thing to do.

One day it will go away, meanwhile we have to (or not) listen to the nonsense put out by populist supporters both here and in the USA.

Ellianne Wed 23-Dec-20 11:47:51

Everyone can mistakes, everyone can get things wrong. It doesn't mean the UK is a total failure at everything, as some would have us believe.

Galaxy Wed 23-Dec-20 11:48:17

And the obsession with the war never ends, by people who werent involved in it. It's nothing but detrimental to this country.

biba70 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:48:41

Oui, c'est la norme - well yes, but the fact is, that any nation noticing a mutation has the responsibility to warn others, especially close neighbours where the spread is very likely to happen quickly due to Christmas holidays, people stockpiling and buying more for Christmas.

No wonder others are furious they were not kept in the loop and warned. If the mutant virus had originated in France or any EU country, and they would have kept stumm in order not to affect their exports- you would be hopping mad.

MaizieD Wed 23-Dec-20 11:52:42

GrannyGravy13

I love Europe, I just do not like how the EEC has morphed into the EU (United States of Europe).

You succumbed to the lies and dislike a chimera.

And you keep on with the Macron hate.

So sad....

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:58:08

Not sure why you continue to trot out. Macron hate MaizieD ?

I have never said I hate Macron just pointed out that it was Macron and other Governments that closed their borders to the UK.

If it makes you happy to post erroneous sentences so be it.

MaizieD Wed 23-Dec-20 12:00:33

biba70

Oui, c'est la norme - well yes, but the fact is, that any nation noticing a mutation has the responsibility to warn others, especially close neighbours where the spread is very likely to happen quickly due to Christmas holidays, people stockpiling and buying more for Christmas.

No wonder others are furious they were not kept in the loop and warned. If the mutant virus had originated in France or any EU country, and they would have kept stumm in order not to affect their exports- you would be hopping mad.

To be honest, biba, I don't think that it crossed the mind of anyone in the government that spreading a mutant 'super-spreading' version of c19 would have any effect on neighbouring countries.

I have no doubt that the government is totally gobsmacked and bewildered by the actions of other countries in closing their borders to us. Why on earth would they want to do that?

Having lived through nearly a year of insouciant and incompetent reactions to the challenges of c19 I can't 'read' them any other way.

MaizieD Wed 23-Dec-20 12:03:20

GrannyGravy13

I have never said I hate Macron just pointed out that it was Macron and other Governments that closed their borders to the UK.

Sorry, should have made it 'French' hate.

You seemed a bit worried about the awful French wanting our fish a few days ago.

"Love Europe, just wish it wasn't full of Europeans..."

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:04:40

It only took one or two days for the protests to start in Kent. HMG must be expecting a lot more when this happens week after week in the new year and not just in Kent.

I wonder who will be blamed then?

Populists will duly follow their leader and get the blame in early without actually giving it any critical thought.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:10:20

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

Sorry, should have made it 'French' hate.

You seemed a bit worried about the awful French wanting our fish a few days ago.

"Love Europe, just wish it wasn't full of Europeans..."

Sorry MaizieD you are so far from the truth you are making me laugh out loud. One of my daughter-in-laws is mainland European as is my eldest GC, some of our AC have European God Parents.

But hey ho continue to twist things, it is obviously bringing you joy and comfort this Festive Season ????

I just cannot see why it is unreasonable to be in control of ones territorial waters after all aren’t we all responsible for our gardens and boundaries?

biba70 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:17:55

He closed the borders to keep his people safe- from a mutant virus the UK Governement has been aware for quite some time, but CHOSE, clearly CHOSE, to keep quiet about because of repercussions. Had they tackled the problem when it was found, this Government of ours could have made plans for fast testing for in and out drivers- so imports and exports could remain flowing. But they CHOSE to keep quiet.

Just as they CHOSE to point to KS in the HoC- and laugh, and say 'this man wants to cancel your Christmas' - and then did the very thing a couple of days later- causing massive upset to families all over the country- especially to grandparents who were told at the very last minute they would have to be on their own for Christmas (and for some, it was upsetting beyond belief- including in our own family). Macron did NOT do that.

It is the responsibility of a Government to keep the majority of its people safe- even if it means having to make a small minority endure hardship.

When there were outbreaks of dangerous diseases in Medieval times, the people of affected villages accepted this, and others would bring food to a geographical point a very long way away from the village, where affected people collected food. Because this is how a responsible, caring society works.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:31:24

I think you will find that the scientists at PHE informed the WHO immediately the virus mutation was identified, the WHO then informs other Countries of the details.

Urmstongran Wed 23-Dec-20 13:33:24

Professor Neil Ferguson said this morning that the mutant strain is already in Europe. It’s what viruses do to survive. Mutate and evolve. It was just that OUR brilliant UK genome scientists just identified it first!
?? ✅

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:37:04

Urmstongran

Professor Neil Ferguson said this morning that the mutant strain is already in Europe. It’s what viruses do to survive. Mutate and evolve. It was just that OUR brilliant UK genome scientists just identified it first!
?? ✅

Absolutely correct Urmstongran ???