Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new name for the UK - Plague Island

(110 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Dec-20 23:28:30

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid

The most depressing thing I think I've read all year - some opinions from the world's media. We really are cut off from the rest of the world. All that talk of sunny uplands being just ahead is absolute nonsense.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:31:14

petra

Whitewavemk2
Exactly a week ago you wrote large A DEAL IS DONE.
That didn't happen so you then stated very confidently that the deal will be signed this weekend That was last weekend btw.

So what? Why are you making a BIG DEAL out of that?

petra Wed 23-Dec-20 19:52:28

MayBee70
Because over the years we have been told many times to
check your facts Obviously the facts weren't checked.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:54:42

MayBee70

petra

Whitewavemk2
Exactly a week ago you wrote large A DEAL IS DONE.
That didn't happen so you then stated very confidently that the deal will be signed this weekend That was last weekend btw.

So what? Why are you making a BIG DEAL out of that?

? I had to tip a grin when I saw it. Poor old petra.

petra Wed 23-Dec-20 20:00:44

Whitewavemk2
It's obvious from your post that my comments hit the spot. Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 20:09:05

petra

Whitewavemk2
It's obvious from your post that my comments hit the spot. Thank you.

No problem. ?

lemongrove Wed 23-Dec-20 21:18:55

You have to admit whitewave you got it wrong many times
With your announcements of ‘done deals’ ( Lord knows where you were finding this mis-information.)?

Lots of posters ( including me and Petra) always said there would be a last minute deal as that’s how the EU always operates, but various posters wanted to continue with the ‘woe, woe and thrice woe’ stuff.

Casdon Wed 23-Dec-20 21:42:51

If ever there was a Pyrrhic victory.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:47:51

Casdon

If ever there was a Pyrrhic victory.

Wait until the details start coming out. Stuff is being leaked already and it will cause a lot of anger I think. Never mind what the ERG think.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Dec-20 23:17:26

Of course there is a last minute deal. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall/telephone. Maybe Macron did actually play a blinder by showing the U.K. just how unprepared we were for no deal? Now it will be fun seeing the ERG desperately trying to vote it down. And some Labour supporters criticising Starmer who will probably, in the best interest of the country, vote for it. This is just the beginning (or is it the end of the beginning etc etc). Either way I’m incredibly relieved tonight because all I’ve ever wanted is what’s best for this country, our friends in Europe, Ireland and Gibraltar. So I’ve probably got my most rubbish deal ever in the history of rubbish deals but, hey a rubbish deal is better than no deal. I wonder what Johnson will call it. Australia, Canada plus plus, Neverland, Narnia? And look forward, when the terms slowly unfold, to so many people saying that this is exactly what they wanted. G’night....