Gransnet forums

News & politics

Germany & Cyprus break ranks from EU vaccine rollout!

(68 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 12-Jan-21 11:36:42

So much for unity eh?

“EU reminds members to toe the line on unilateral vaccine plan
The EU is struggling to keep countries aligned with its vaccine strategy, as governments start to break rank and seek side-deals for extra jabs.

The European Commission is now urging ministers to stick to the plan to negotiate unilaterally.

Last week, Germany ordered 30 million extra doses of the Pfizer vaccine on top of its allocation from the EU’s haul of 600 million jabs while Cyprus reportedly asked Israel for additional doses.”

‘I’m alright Jack springs to mind’.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised as Angela Merkel had, in a spirit of co-operation, handed Germany’s vaccination programme over to Brussels.

Who ordered the sneaky side deal then?

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 23:32:46

I also think I should not post when I am tired

I'm sure you're right. I just posted a load of drivel on the geography thread.
So I'm going to log off now.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 22:06:01

Thank you MayBee70 smile

MayBee70 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:02:40

I like your posts Pippa.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 19:57:34

Callistemon

PippaZ as you are a newcomer to Gransnet, perhaps posters need to get used to your style of posting and you to theirs

Anyway, welcome.

I am sure you are right Callistemon. I also think I should not post when I am tired smile

MayBee70 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:34:38

Why wasn’t the new variant contained better though, given that it was known that infection rates were rising in the SE and the new variant had been discovered.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Jan-21 08:49:52

Look it’s too early in a morning to be argumentative! I don’t disagree it’s an international concern. Just under the auspices of a British laboratory.

Many EU scientists have chosen to stay in the UK rather than return to Europe. I can’t remember why but I did read an article about it a few weeks ago.

Let’s just agree that ‘scientists in Britain’ discovered the new variant first. Clever people & hats off to them (all).

vegansrock Wed 13-Jan-21 08:42:05

Don’t try to insinuate all scientists in the U.K. are British- fake news urmstongran I said they were international - not all from the EU - AstroZenica is run by a Frenchman, scientists working there are from all over the world.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Jan-21 08:37:46

Perhaps they were all busy vegansrock. Don’t try insinuating all our scientists are from the EU. Fake news!

vegansrock Wed 13-Jan-21 07:55:31

It’s rather telling that when the BBC were looking for a British scientist to support Brexit ( in the interests of “balance”) they couldn’t find a single one. Most of the labs, academic departments, pharmaceutical companies etc in the U.K. are international in the best sense of the word.

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 00:10:42

PippaZ as you are a newcomer to Gransnet, perhaps posters need to get used to your style of posting and you to theirs

Anyway, welcome.

GillT57 Tue 12-Jan-21 23:39:30

Was just trying to throw what I thought was a bit of relevant humour into the conversation pippaz. Obviously a mistake

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 22:28:04

Interesting article SueD, dankeschön.

SueDonim Tue 12-Jan-21 22:22:32

The WHO is suggesting a new naming system for variants in order to avoid stigmatising countries.
www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/calls-new-names-covid-variants-avoid-country-stigma/

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 22:07:56

Yes, it's as unlikely the Spanish flu came from Spain as German Measles did from Germany!

vegansrock Tue 12-Jan-21 22:02:30

I’m not sure why people are objecting to the virus identified and first spread throughout the U.K. as the “British virus”, I’m sure they talk about Spanish flu and the British vaccine ( even when these are not wholly acculturate) not to mention the insults hurled at “the French” or “the Germans”. Our “stellar scientists” are not wholly British either, they are a truly international bunch.

Urmstongran Tue 12-Jan-21 21:49:35

Wrong words used by Merkel. I bet she regrets them, in hindsight. It was easily done.

I think she ought to have said the virus ‘identified by British scientists’. Because that’s what it was. Our stellar genome boffins are second to none and extrapolated it first.
?

MayBee70 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:19:08

But it’s just a scientific way of describing things ie everything is named after the country where it was discovered. To be honest I think we’re all getting a bit tetchy. I know I am.

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 21:10:38

MayBee it's all this blame business I dislike using the nationality ... British, Chinese, South African ... rather than saying from Britain, from China etc.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:04:08

Well, it is isn’t it? Good grief. Are we trying to start WWIII here? We call the South African variant the South African variant don’t we?

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 20:53:31

Did anyone else pick up on the wording she used today to describe the new strain of covid, ,*dieses britische Virus*?

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 19:51:06

MawBe

^I know. I called my mother that from time to time throughout my early years, born and living in Germany. I didn't think an explanation was needed. Sorry.^
Apology accepted.
So did I, actually all the time.

That wasn't an apology to you Mawbe. Well it was, in as was much as it was an apology to all those you seem to think would not know the meaning. There was me thinking most people would either be familiar with it or look it up as it was quite pivotal to the discussion. I found your post a little patronising/condescending - you choose. Only you know why you felt the need to explain it to me.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Jan-21 19:39:36

Am I right in thinking that Germany offered us help with a test and trace system which was refused and also took in covid patients from other countries earlier in the pandemic when their cases were quite low? Maybe they are now looking after their own because the rate of infection has gone up, which is what most countries are doing. There does seem to be something very political about which vaccines different countries use eg Cuba and Iran are working together. It’s almost like a strange Eurovision Song Contest voting system. All rather worrying when we need the world to act as one to eliminate the virus.

Lollypolly Tue 12-Jan-21 19:01:00

Urmstrongran sorry can't accept what you are saying. I lived in Germany and had my own business, I still have my house there. Was there when Mrs Merkel was elected and she was a very popular choice particularly with business women. I was in Germany for birth of my grandson 4 years ago and the care is second to none. My niece in England was being sent home while in labour and her mother was so distressed because there was nothing they could do to help. My dil had excellent care, monitored all the time until the baby was born, private room good food. Night and day from the UK. Unless you live in a country and experience life and work there it is easy to make throw away comments, so best not to as you really don't understand what you are talking about.

MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 18:58:56

I know. I called my mother that from time to time throughout my early years, born and living in Germany. I didn't think an explanation was needed. Sorry.
Apology accepted.
So did I, actually all the time.

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 18:08:41

PippaZ ....I don’t think that Gill57 needs any lessons from you (you’ll be giving us all detention next.)

Alegrias never heard of the Corporate Parent ( just a Scottish thing?) but it certainly sounds better than Chief Mammy ( even if said as a joke!)