Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is MILF an acceptable term?

(136 Posts)
trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 10:06:58

The Labour candidate for Hartlepool tweetedyears ago that someone was a MILF. Is he a misogynist or just a badly informed young man, and is he suitable as a Labour candidate?

tickingbird Sun 21-Mar-21 10:52:47

Although it’s not the most pleasant term it’s actually meant in a flattering way and I don’t think that the people who use it give much thought to the actual term it represents. Apparently it originated in a very popular film American Pie, which I believe has become a cult classic - I’ve never seen it. Essentially it’s in praise of attractive older women. No, I’m not condoning it but, at the risk of a pile on - boys will be boys!

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 10:54:55

tickingbird- DILF - apparently girls will be girls as well! Or is that ladism?

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 10:57:03

JaneJudge

I don't like it but is calling someone a MILF on par with impregnating other women whilst you are married?

That's a really interesting point. Which is more abusive?

Peasblossom Sun 21-Mar-21 11:01:44

Didn’t I see a thread a couple of days ago about Boris Johnson displaying his bare chest, that then went on to Dishy Rishy and thence to other male torsos?

Half of me thought if it’s wrong for men to do that with women then it’s wrong full stop. And the other half of me thought it was just girl chat.

What’s on the internet stays for ever.

Blossoming Sun 21-Mar-21 11:08:28

The thread title asks “Is MILF an acceptable term?” No it isn’t but would you feel happier if he’d tweeted that someone was fit or sexy, or said he’d like to “give her one”?

The second question here is should someone be held accountable for an historical social media post for which they have long since apologised? There won’t be anybody left in public life at this rate.

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-Mar-21 11:21:32

Sorry trisher my point wasn't meant to say 10 years bad 11 years ok. I was (not very clearly I suppose) trying to point out that he was a fully formed adult by then. It was unacceptable ten years ago as it is today.
I also hate the sexualisation of men by women. This is not a "one way" problem - though obviously much more is directed at women.

Galaxy Sun 21-Mar-21 11:26:07

I am just curious whether any of us on here would be able to go into public life. Can you hand on heart say you have never said anything inappropriate.

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 11:26:08

I suppose ten yeas ago you might have been forgiven for thinking the internet and twitter were just something to do and something that would pass. Much like yesterday's newspaper headlines were for wrapping fish and chips. Unfortunately everything remains and can be dragged out when required.

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 11:27:07

I wouldn't Galaxy someone would probably drag up things I'd said on GN grin

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 11:36:58

We should always be concerned at any tweet by anyone that describes women in a sexualised way or describes their attractiveness. This man is a doctor, was nearly 40 at the time and it’s not the only inappropriate tweet he’s made.
My GP is not daft enough to be on Twitter but if he were and I saw a tweet like that, I’d complain to the surgery.
The other issue is about judgement - what on earth possessed him? There’s a delete button. And finally why weren’t his tweets vetted before the 2017 election when he was first elected.

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 11:43:49

I suppose the other thing is, is it better to have someone who has openly said these things and presumably been castigated and educated or someone who manages to hide his views in public?
Isn't some misogyny so hidden it's never revealed in tweets?

Polarbear2 Sun 21-Mar-21 11:44:29

I think if you laugh at these things you take the sting out of it. Men don’t like to be laughed at. I recall myself and friends laughing at a flasher. He buggered off sharply looking very unhappy. We reported it of course as aware it’s different if you’re alone. He’s a man. I wouldn’t have him as my MP just based on that.

Galaxy Sun 21-Mar-21 11:55:06

You see polar bear couldnt take public office now grin

MaizieD Sun 21-Mar-21 11:55:46

So no-one on here has ever said "I really fancy him" about a man?

If they have, what is the ultimate meaning of 'fancy' in that context? Doesn't it mean 'I'd like to have sex with him'? (if it doesn't, then what on earth does it mean?). In which case, it's merely a less overt way of expressing the same sentiment as does MILF.

Men look at women as possible sexual partners and women look at men as possible sexual partners and both vocalise this from time to time. OMG! Disgusting!

Or am I missing something here?

Calendargirl Sun 21-Mar-21 12:02:35

So no one on here has ever said ‘ I really fancy him’ about a man?

Well, yes, but if they turned up on my doorstep and said ‘I’m here Calendargirl and available’, I would run a mile!

A sort of fantasy I suppose.

MaizieD Sun 21-Mar-21 12:15:37

Calendargirl

^So no one on here has ever said ‘ I really fancy him’ about a man?^

Well, yes, but if they turned up on my doorstep and said ‘I’m here Calendargirl and available’, I would run a mile!

A sort of fantasy I suppose.

Perhaps a man would have the same reaction? Who knows...

But saying what is essentially "I fancy that person", in an entirely non-threatening way is, IMO, not a problem.

Mollygo Sun 21-Mar-21 12:27:38

I had never heard of that acronym, but he should have realised that mother and man both begin with the same letter, so doubly offensive.

janeainsworth Sun 21-Mar-21 12:30:12

Paul Williams (for it is he) has form.
He was the one who went to the press with the story about old people refusing the Pfizer vaccine because they were all raging nationalists ?
Ageist as well as misogynistic.
www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18994063.gp-says-vulnerable-people-refusing-pfizer-covid-vaccine-wait-english-one/

FarNorth Sun 21-Mar-21 12:30:37

Polarbear2

?????????? personally I’d be flattered. Get a life. Ooh young man.

Really hmm

janeainsworth Sun 21-Mar-21 12:35:08

Maizie when did f* become an acceptable expression to use in polite discourse? Serious question. I’d have been slapped across the face if I’d used that word at home. I know times have changed, but really when did it start being ok?
I think saying you fancy someone is still quite different to say you’d like to f* them.

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-Mar-21 12:45:07

He is also the one who went on a Saudi-funded junket (£8,700) and came back and said lots of positive things about Saudi and how "progressive" the country was.

I know this is nothing to do with the OP but just makes me feel ?.

Peasblossom Sun 21-Mar-21 12:45:43

I don’t think it is for men, janeainsworth. For them a woman either creates a response or not, if you see what I mean.

Riverwalk Sun 21-Mar-21 12:47:14

I'm mystified why some members think it just a bit of repartee, along the line of 'I fancy him/her', for a 38 year old doctor (a doctor FFS) to Tweet such a phrase.

He wasn't a 20-something medical student after a drunken night out.

Iam64 Sun 21-Mar-21 12:48:11

No it isn’t.
Polarbear2, I had it shouted at me by a group of men as I was walking along with my daughters, who were in their early 20’s so about 10 years ago.
The men were noisy but we didn’t feel threatened. I certainly didn’t feel ‘flattered’. And I have a good life thankyou.

sodapop Sun 21-Mar-21 12:51:09

Blossoming

The thread title asks “Is MILF an acceptable term?” No it isn’t but would you feel happier if he’d tweeted that someone was fit or sexy, or said he’d like to “give her one”?

The second question here is should someone be held accountable for an historical social media post for which they have long since apologised? There won’t be anybody left in public life at this rate.

Agree Blossoming and with others who said we wouldn't want comments from time past to be dragged out and rehashed.