Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is MILF an acceptable term?

(136 Posts)
trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 10:06:58

The Labour candidate for Hartlepool tweetedyears ago that someone was a MILF. Is he a misogynist or just a badly informed young man, and is he suitable as a Labour candidate?

growstuff Tue 23-Mar-21 02:03:05

ann678tifney

I think it could give Hartlepool a bad name, and considering the sitting MP has just resigned because of sexual harrassment allegations.

Hartlepool's name has survived executing a monkey as a French spy.

Lauren59 Tue 23-Mar-21 03:08:49

I wouldn’t trust the judgment of anyone who publicly used that term.

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-Mar-21 08:48:45

I find it hard to think that any long term partner of any merit would be tweeting his desire to f*ck other women.

I know this man has done a number of things I do actually approve of, as well as things I dont, but really? Wonder what his long-term partner thought about it at the time.

MaizieD Tue 23-Mar-21 09:02:44

Perhaps his long term partner knew very well that he wouldn't actually do it?

janeainsworth Tue 23-Mar-21 11:45:01

He seems to have been at a dinner party when he sent his tweet
Well if any of my guests were posting on Twitter during a dinner party, that would be the last time they came round to my house!

grumppa Tue 23-Mar-21 13:43:10

I must say DILF was new to me. The whole subject might be better summed up if Dad was replaced by Father....

Ro60 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:47:06

Grumpa ??

Baggs Tue 23-Mar-21 13:52:37

MaizieD

Perhaps his long term partner knew very well that he wouldn't actually do it?

Yes, MD.

Meanwhile it has occurred to me that women with chidren who re-marry (or even marry for the first time; it seems quite common nowadays for people to get married when they've already been together for several years and have children) have been MILFs to somebody.

I also wonder if those who don't find the term offensive know that they have been MILFs to somebody, sometime, even if nothing came of it ?

I don't find the idea or the term intrinsically offensive. I think even happily married/partnered men might think it of someone without causing anyone any harm; happily married women ditto of the male version, though I agree that using it publicly, such as a in the tweet that got Williams into trouble, is risqué.

But it was years ago. Who's to say he hasn't moved on since then and wouldn't do such a thing now? Also, he has apologised. As I've mentioned on another thread somewhere, people come across as very unforgiving. It's not that bad a misdemeanour.

Baggs Tue 23-Mar-21 13:53:11

grumppa, ?

Mollygo Tue 23-Mar-21 13:56:30

Neither acronym was familiar, though I certainly know more now than I ever wanted to Grumppa! ???