Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I opt out of contributing to the new royal yacht and put my bit into the NHS please

(111 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:24:05

This could not come at a worse time imo

grandmajet Sun 02-May-21 13:21:17

Just another rumour, it seems.
Can my share of ‘arts’ funding go to the nhs too, if we are being given a choice.

eazybee Sun 02-May-21 13:29:15

Yes, Urmstongran, I applaud your suggestion.
And sack Laura Kuenssberg for sloppy and untruthful reporting, (see James Dyson) and put her salary towards it.

Kim19 Sun 02-May-21 13:37:20

I've was often regularly told that if the whole national budget was given to the NHS it still wouldn't be enough. I used to pooh pooh that line of debate but now I think it may well be true.

trisher Sun 02-May-21 13:38:18

Nannan2

Yes the BBC should definitely pay for it! Theyre already taking money for old rope off us for beggar all, for what? Maybe giving us ONE genuinely good series a year ('call the midwife' - also involving and due to the medical profession) and maybe a fair bit of coverage of the news and when a Royal passes on- but so equally do other channels whom we don't have to pay an arm& a leg for in licence fees! So yes, Urmstongran you are right- BBC should definitely foot the bill.It would be one British institution helping another.(shipbuilding)

Let's stop dissing the BBC which has actually provided some of the most watched programmes- Strictly, Line ofDuty, etc. and came through with its duty to educate during lockdown with Bitesize etc. If you want the real figures www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/bbc-annual-report-2019-20

Peasblossom Sun 02-May-21 13:41:12

The thing is Whiteavemark, I don’t think there’s a media source out there that doesn’t seize on/create rumours and stories. Johnson may have put it out there, he might not. Nobody knows.

Keir Starmer might have a mistress, he might not. Nobody knows. It’s just a story from a “source”.

The media just makes it up as it goes along.

Alegrias1 Sun 02-May-21 13:45:53

What? Did I miss that?

This thread has taken a surreal turn.....

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 13:47:53

Peasblossom

The thing is Whiteavemark, I don’t think there’s a media source out there that doesn’t seize on/create rumours and stories. Johnson may have put it out there, he might not. Nobody knows.

Keir Starmer might have a mistress, he might not. Nobody knows. It’s just a story from a “source”.

The media just makes it up as it goes along.

I would be happy to accept your argument if history showed us that the rumours about Johnson and ideas by Johnson did not show that they were true and he didnt have such daft ideas. Like the garden bridge etc.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 13:48:25

Who is the mistress ???

Grany Sun 02-May-21 14:05:34

It's on Sky News as well as the telegraph

news.sky.com/story/new-royal-yacht-named-after-prince-philip-to-be-commissioned-within-weeks-costing-as-much-as-200m-12292880

Grany Sun 02-May-21 14:09:19

Matthew Payne

NHS heroes get a 1% pay cut, 3 million self employed people get forgotten about by amnesiac
@RishiSunak
, Food Bank use at astronomical proportions, and many going without. Obscene Tory Government.says not enough to go round. But can find money for new Royal Yacht Britannia ffs!!!

Or

A Practical Guide To Abolish The Monarchy

theworldasitcouldbe.wordpress.com/2021/05/01/a-practical-guide-to-abolish-the-monarchy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Grany Sun 02-May-21 14:26:51

While on the subject of royalty

We could have something like in Ireland or as here in a comment from someone in Germany

Or like our Bundes President here in Germany. A very well respected figure head, whose sole purpose is to welcome foreign heads of state, represent Germany abroad and sign his/her name on bills which have passed both houses. The only difference between Michael D. Higgins and our president, Frank-Walther Steinmaier, is that MDH was elected by the electorate, whereas Steinmaier was nominated by and elected by our elected representatives in the Bundestag. The roles are the same though and both do an excellent job, IMO. The fact that they have limited terms of office is a good thing too. The Monarchie in the UK is a waste of space and money and is an anachronism in the 21st century.

Callistemon Sun 02-May-21 14:32:23

We could have something like in Ireland I'm a bit confused?
Do you mean a private jet like the Irish President instead of a yacht?

MaizieD Sun 02-May-21 14:32:32

Grany

Matthew Payne

NHS heroes get a 1% pay cut, 3 million self employed people get forgotten about by amnesiac
@RishiSunak
, Food Bank use at astronomical proportions, and many going without. Obscene Tory Government.says not enough to go round. But can find money for new Royal Yacht Britannia ffs!!!

Or

theworldasitcouldbe.wordpress.com/2021/05/01/a-practical-guide-to-abolish-the-monarchy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

To be fair, Grany, had you read the thread I think you'd find that the RF doesn't actually want a 'Royal Yacht'.

The idea was floated by a tory MP soon after Prince Philip's death. It was dismissed as nonsense by most sensible people.

If the RF doesn't want it how could Johnson possibly go ahead with it?

Callistemon Sun 02-May-21 14:38:25

I really don't think he can, what is going through his mind?

(Daft question)

Grany Sun 02-May-21 14:40:40

Callistemon

^We could have something like in Ireland^ I'm a bit confused?
Do you mean a private jet like the Irish President instead of a yacht?

RF have private jets and all other transport including posh cars. Their favourite method of transport is the Royal Helicopers. Which they use day in day out week in week out for their own private use. Spending public money freely as if it's their own. You can't compare the President costs a fraction of BRF

Grany Sun 02-May-21 14:41:18

MaizieD

Grany

Matthew Payne

@RishiSunak

Or

To be fair, Grany, had you read the thread I think you'd find that the RF doesn't actually want a 'Royal Yacht'.

The idea was floated by a tory MP soon after Prince Philip's death. It was dismissed as nonsense by most sensible people.

Good

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 02-May-21 14:43:46

Hang on a mo - I thought a billionaire was leaving enough money in his will to have one built. No tax payers money involved blah blah blah

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-May-21 14:47:09

Ladyleftfieldlover
grin

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-May-21 14:47:42

I am getting cruise ship adverts suddenly!
hmm

Oldbat1 Sun 02-May-21 14:49:40

Totally agree I would like to do the same. Fed up with the government wasting money. Johnson was heavily involved in the London garden bridge project which was to cost an estimated 200m. It was cancelled (thank goodness) and it still wasted 53million without a brick being laid. We do not need a Royal Yacht replacement. We need to properly house/feed/educate/provide health care for our population.

Dinahmo Sun 02-May-21 16:48:09

Ladyleftfieldlover

Hang on a mo - I thought a billionaire was leaving enough money in his will to have one built. No tax payers money involved blah blah blah

I think it was 50 million. Not enough to build a new ship.

MaizieD Sun 02-May-21 17:20:46

It's got to be a dead cat.

A nice patriotic booster before the elections on Thursday. Do you think the electorate is panting for a new 'Royal Yacht' and will vote tory to ensure it happens ? of course, local councils have no say whatsoever over yachts, royal or otherwise, but hey, it's fun, isn't it. Just what the nation needs

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 17:27:42

Not sure the idea is working.

Anniebach Sun 02-May-21 17:41:48

With elections on Thursday can anything be believed in the media,

Callistemon Sun 02-May-21 22:12:43

NotSpaghetti

I am getting cruise ship adverts suddenly!
hmm

Can we book staterooms for the maiden voyage of this new Royal Yacht?

Where shall we go?